mjcarleb

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a G+ listing/map for one of my three stores that will not show in google search results for the name of the store and any city closeby--except the actual city of the store's location.

For example, if you search for the store name in the city of the store's location, the map is displayed. But, if you search for the store name in the city of any nearby city, the map is NOT displayed.

This is very odd behavior that started on September 26, 2012. Prior to that the map DID show up when searching for it along with city names that are within 30 miles or so. (I also have two other stores with similar listing in nearby cities that show up when search for the store name in nearby cities.)

It seems like google has "lost" the cross-referencing of this one particular listing with the other geographical areas that are near the actual store location. How can I get google to "re-index" the store's listing/map so that it shows up when people are searching for it "nearby" and not just in the store's actual city?

Here is use case to demonstrate problem: search for "Good Feet Brandon, FL" and you will get Good Feet in Brandon map. Now, search for "Good Feet Tampa, FL" and you will get my other stores that are nearby--but not the Brandon listing which is in a city adjacent to Tampa. To prove the problem is specific to my listing, you can also try the above use case for Costco. If you search for "Costco Brandon, FL", you will see Costco in Brandon. If you search for "Costco Tampa", you will also see Costco in Brandon (and Clearwater). Up until September 26, the behavior for Good Feet in Brandon mirrored the behavior you now see for Costco. But, since that time the Good Feet store in Brandon has "disappeared" from google map results--unless user searches specifically in Brandon.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!
Mark

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Hi Mark,

Not sure about the search location aspect as I'm seeing different results than you, but I need LOTS of problems on this listing that I suspect could cause a ranking penalty.

Here is link to G+ page: Good Feet - About - Google+

Remember the old Places dashboard allowed for a 200 character description? And also you may or may not know that repeating city, some say repeating name and phone and even using caps OR a big string of keywords could cause problems and even ranking penalties.

So wow - that intro. There is not an explicit limit that I know of, but you turned an intro into a 2 page web site. CITY REPETITION and KEYWORD REPETITION PLUS CAPS which all scream "spammer" to the Google algo. I see lots of problems on this listing that I suspect could cause a ranking penalty.

I count TAMPA 5 TIMES AND IN BOLD CAPS TO BOOT. Without knowing for certain, I could almost bet that this caused a penalty for Tampa keywords. (The other listing does not have this particular problem, so may be why it shows and this one does not.)

Is this category in dashboard? "Foot Pain Plantar Fasciitis Relief Store"
If so I think that could be considered category stuffing.

Note that your Clearwater store DOES show for Tampa search. It has a REALLY spammy description, but it's the old 200 char description and Tampa is only listed once, not 5 times. "Tampa Foot Pain Feet Pain Arch Supports Heel Pain Orthotics Orthopedics Shoes Inserts Arch Supports Heel Pain Good Feet Foot Pain Solutions Plantar Fasciitis Orthotics Foot Fasciitis Arch Supports”

Really surprised that description hasn't gotten a penalty too.

I see other issues on these listings, but am out of time to do more research. Hope that shines a light and helps point you in the right direction.

ANYONE ELSE HAVE COMMENTS? :)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
RobinOctane Google Local and Map Listing-Kids being Kids Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Mark Warner Any Benefit to Being Listed on Custom Maps? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
djbaxter SEO Company Sabotages Ex-Client's GMB & Maps Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 0
jimmydoubleu Google business not listed/found on Search/Map after merge Google Duplicates & Merges 6
N "Fake" Google Map listings Spam on Google 11
F Replied to some stupid chain email, ended up getting my Google account disabled, got back on, now all my GMB listings are 'Suspended' but live in maps Google My Business & Google Maps 6
J Deleting 5 GMB/Maps listings Google My Business & Google Maps 2
M Fake Map Listings Auto-Created by Citation Service? Spam on Google 6
Justin Mosebach Google Maps Lists (Saved Places) Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Cordell Crowley 3-Day Change of Ownership for a Google Maps listing? Google My Business & Google Maps 7
JoyHawkins "On These Lists" Showing in Google Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 5
djbaxter Marketplace uncovers more than 80 fake Toronto area listings on Google Maps Spam on Google 4
J Fake listing ranking in maps and natural search Google My Business & Google Maps 5
J Tool Request: Ability to tell me all categories that a Google Maps listing has Local SEO Tools & Software 4
djbaxter Google claims progress on fake business listings on Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 4
L Google Maps URL For Suspended Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 0
freerunr Verbiage on Unclaimed GMB pages: "Own this business?" (KP) / "Claim this business" (Maps) vs. "Manage this listing" Google My Business & Google Maps 23
J Wondered if anyone has a list of businesses that trigger the maps Local Search 2
S Listing will not show up on map pack or search--HELP! Help & Support for Google Local 5
Grabgooglesgoogles Verified and optimised GMB listing doesn't show up on maps when viewing the street (unlike every other local business which does). Help & Support for Google Local 8
N Google listing only appears when I move / zoom in or out of the map Local Search 5
M Client's GMB Listing Is Published But Is Not Appearing In Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Chris Prendergast Missing Stars on Bank Map Pack Listings Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Travis Van Slooten How Do You Find Main Practice & Practitioner Listings in Google Maps? Google My Business & Google Maps 9
A Ranking Puzzle? GMB Listing Maps vs Search Results Local Search 13
Tim Colling Does Google care about unlicensed businesses that have Maps listings? Local Search 10
PaulSteinbrueck Maps listings don't match pins? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Les Zeppelin Fully removing a listing from Maps Local Search 3
E Google Maps buried listing after updating address Google My Business & Google Maps 30
R Best Ways to Get Inventory of Google Maps Listings for Company with Many Locations Google My Business & Google Maps 11
timcapper Very Weird Map Listing Display in Turkey Google My Business & Google Maps 0
H Tool to Search for a List Specific Address Locations to See if They are Listed in Map Local SEO Tools & Software 4
Tim Sweeney Creating A Map Identifying Unclaimed Map Listing In A Defined Geographic Region Consultant's Corner 0
pwa Google My Business = Listing In Google Maps? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
E Business listing appears on 1st page but became invisible today on maps Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Travis Van Slooten Former Business Partner Holding Google Maps Listing Hostage - How to Resolve? Google My Business & Google Maps 9
JoyHawkins Possible Bug: April 1 Impacting Reviews & Listings on Google Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 19
K HEADS UP - Google Removing unverified G+ Pages - Redirecting to Maps Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 5
R Claim Existing GMB listing vs Edit in Google Maps/Mapmaker, then claim? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
CodyBaird Prioritizing 1st Steps for NEW Listing w/out Previous Maps or NAP Data Google My Business & Google Maps 7
J Advice Needed on Client My Business Listing and Maps Help & Support for Google Local 5
V Issue with GMB & map listings for locations within locations Help & Support for Google Local 0
JoshuaMackens Apple Maps - Indexable Listings? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
M Finding a G+ in the maps listing Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Linda Buquet Grrr... Google Removes all Links to G+ L Page from Map Listings! Google My Business & Google Maps 11
joereadseo How to Remove a Listing from Google Maps? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
B Wrong Map Listing showing Local Search 0
cjonesmn Google Maps -> Listings Box -> Listing Image Help & Support for Google Local 1
D Why does zoom in/Zoom out in local map page reorder the listings? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Linda Buquet ▶ GEO Citations: Map Listings with Full Citations - Some With Do Follow Links Citations 12