DiGesu

Reaction score
Hi!
I'm trying to rank for a different city than the one my business is located.
I will call it city B.
If I get my business listed on a website from city B - like a chamber of commerce- should I list my homepage site, or should I create a city B page (like mysite.com/cityB), and list that page?
Thanks!!

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
@DiGesu, I'd probably list the homepage, but it depends on the particulars of your situation.

1. Is city B near city A?

2. Is your business a service-area business (and not bricks-and-mortar)?

3. Does your homepage rank well in city A, or for search terms specific to city A?

4. Do you have a Google My Business page for city B, and if so, what landing page URL do you use?

5. If you do not get (for whatever reason) any links to mysite.com/cityB, would you still want that page on your site? (Would customers find it useful?)

DiGesu

Reaction score
@Phil Rozek

1. Is city B near city A? They are right next to each other. And they are both really small cities.

2. Is your business a service-area business (and not bricks-and-mortar)? Service area

3. Does your homepage rank well in city A, or for search terms specific to city A? Yes

4. Do you have a Google My Business page for city B, and if so, what landing page URL do you use? No, I don't. I don't have an address on city B. Will it be legal to have a listing on city B if I don't have an address to use?

5. If you do not get (for whatever reason) any links to mysite.com/cityB, would you still want that page on your site? (Would customers find it useful?) No, I don't think so. My business is pretty simple, I just have a few services that we offer. If I make a city page, I will be repeating the same services listed on the rest of the site. Customers will not find any real value, I think.

Thanks Phil!

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
@DiGesu, given all of that, I'd definitely point the links to your homepage.

You'll want to add a paragraph (to the homepage) in which you describe your service area.

Re. #4: you wouldn't be eligible for a 2nd GMB page, just to target city B.

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Typically I would say the service area page you've created. But that's if you're going to be targeting high competition areas and more than just 2 of them.

If you're only going to be targeting these 2 areas the homepage should be fine. Just make sure you optimize the homepage for the 2nd area as well.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Getting backlinks to rank on a different city Recycle Bin 0
D Are Others Getting Emails For Backlinks From Free Stock Photos? Organic SEO 3
S Add "fake" joblistings to get nofollow backlinks? Citations 3
Fairlane Problems/Delays Getting New Referring Domains/Backlinks Indexed Local Search 1
Linda Buquet Haha! Creative Way to get a Local Citation and Backlink from Google? Not! Local Search 1
djbaxter So are GWT Backlink reports enough to lift Penalty or get out of Penguin? via @Marie_ Organic SEO 0
Don Archer Google business listing with 482 Real Review Missing. How do I get them back? Help & Support for Google Local 1
Hammer Site manager trying to get listing ownership All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 6
J Getting Rid of Incorrect Highlights in GMB mobile listing ( highlights you can't update on back end ) Google My Business & Google Maps 1
B Multiple practictioners in one area- my client is getting bumped out Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
Phil Rozek Google Maps reviews get "New" label for reviews less than 1 month old Local Reviews 5
JoyHawkins Get Live Inventory Displayed on Your Google My Business Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 9
T GMB Getting suspended after verification. Help & Support for Google Local 6
JoyHawkins Get Custom Responses to Online Reviews Local Reviews 3
K Unable to get verified in Google for SAB Local Search 14
R What steps should I take to get my suspended and denied Google My business approved? Help & Support for Google Local 1
Colan Nielsen NEW Claim your listing on BrightLocal's Agency Directory: Get in front of relevant customers and win leads LSF News and Announcements 3
Tim Colling I'm getting calls from "Google Maps" at 650-206-5555, asking about clients' hours - are they legit? Google My Business & Google Maps 14
Tim Kahlert How to get the insights report's csv file into a good format? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 6
R Map pin and get directions discrepancy Google My Business & Google Maps 2
djbaxter Webinar Get together with Google Search at Search Central Live - February 23, 2021 Events 0
K Getting slammed on Q&A Google My Business & Google Maps 15
Scott ClientClicks How to get GMB to show social media icons in knowledge panel? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
H Google COVID 19 posts getting suspended Google My Business & Google Maps 2
B "Check Insurance Info" Link In GMB - How'd it get there? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
AndiFox Suspension. How to get reinstatement? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Ryan Steinolfson How do you get the business name to show up next to the map pin? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
valentinb13 No support follow up on getting access to/ownership of existing listings Help & Support for Google Local 2
Professor M Google My Business Messaging and Metrics are getting a boost Google My Business & Google Maps 13
D Is adding emojis to business name gets penalty from GMB? Local Search 1
Bryan Bloom Users added to a GMB but never get an invite.... 👿 Help & Support for Google Local 5
kathleen.rhodes We are unable to get Google to merge 2 duplicate listings into the correct one Google Duplicates & Merges 1
NickB-Tampa Listings at single location getting suspended immediately after entering verification codes Google My Business & Google Maps 5
J Facebook Business limiting me to 50 stores under one page - can't get any help Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
Hammer No longer getting any verification options but postcard since covid All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 8
lincolnchan Branded KW Getting Outranked By Competitor... but neither should have GMB All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
J Facebook Business limiting me to 50 stores under one page - can't get any help Local Search 1
N Should I use a GMB Website to get a citation and links? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Rasmus Himmelstrup UTM parameters on the GMB website button keeps getting removed Multi-Location Issues 2
S Is there a way to get an RSS feed of GMB posts? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
djbaxter No YOU get in there Admin Stuff 0
A Help Client gets "Invitation failed (Role not allowed)" when trying to add Organization ID Help & Support for Google Local 6
M Can an Attorney Lease Space from a Pizza Shop and Get Verified/Approved? Multi-Location Issues 4
djbaxter What SEOs get wrong about Google updates Google Algorithm Discussions 0
Peter Hill How to get through to Bing support? Citations 9
H Main Hospital Listing Getting Filtered Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Ben Walsh GMB business name keeps getting reverted back to old name after branding change Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
M "Online Care" icon on 3 pack listing: How to get it? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
PaulSteinbrueck How to get Yelp to recommend new reviews? Local Reviews 6
SEO_CarGuy GMB Restaurant Dine-in Attribute getting changed NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2