More threads by hajnasiewicz

hajnasiewicz

GMB Product Expert
LocalU Member
Reaction score
Chains will be able to Post via the API going forward. But how does one learn to use the API, is this a Developer/Programmer interface?

That's good news! I hadn't seen that update in the documentation yet.

It's indeed a REST interface for developers to communicate with the Google My Business platform. It takes HTTP requests to perform all kinds of actions (such as creating posts) or to retrieve data from the platform.

How you use the API will depend on the programming language used and what you want to achieve. But if you have no prior programming experience it will be a pretty steep learning curve.

That's good news! I hadn't seen that update in the documentation yet.

It's indeed a REST interface for developers to communicate with the Google My Business platform. It takes HTTP requests to perform all kinds of actions (such as creating posts) or to retrieve data from the platform.

How you use the API will depend on the programming language used and what you want to achieve. But if you have no prior programming experience it will be a pretty steep learning curve.
Thank you for your reply. I will check with our Dev/Programming team and see if any of them have familiarity with Google API.... is the API specific to GMB?

Hi Carolyn,

Google does have an API specifically for GMB and it is one of the few Google APIs for which you must apply to gain access: Google My Business API: Application Form For Basic Access

Before you can apply, you need to have or create a Google Cloud Platform (GCP) "project" to which you'll provision GMB API access. GCP projects are used for metering, billing, etc.: Google Cloud Platform

Then it's a matter of your devs navigating Google's GMB API docs for the actions they want to perform, e.g. creating posts: Create Posts on Google | Google My Business API | Google Developers

Note that API changes are afoot so anything your team builds will require some maintenance over time. Google provides API client libraries in different programming languages which may or may not ease the burden:

Hope this helps. Building something to handle a discrete action like creating posts shouldn't be a huge dev effort and shouldn't require prior familiarity with Google's APIs. And in the end, you'll own the tech, which is nice 😊

Hi Carolyn,

Google does have an API specifically for GMB and it is one of the few Google APIs for which you must apply to gain access: Google My Business API: Application Form For Basic Access

Before you can apply, you need to have or create a Google Cloud Platform (GCP) "project" to which you'll provision GMB API access. GCP projects are used for metering, billing, etc.: Google Cloud Platform

Then it's a matter of your devs navigating Google's GMB API docs for the actions they want to perform, e.g. creating posts: Create Posts on Google | Google My Business API | Google Developers

Note that API changes are afoot so anything your team builds will require some maintenance over time. Google provides API client libraries in different programming languages which may or may not ease the burden:

Hope this helps. Building something to handle a discrete action like creating posts shouldn't be a huge dev effort and shouldn't require prior familiarity with Google's APIs. And in the end, you'll own the tech, which is nice 😊
Thank you.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU - Local SEO Penalties for Links

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom