More threads by Former Member

Hi Ross,

It could be part of some tweaking/bugs that are happening lately with the places dash. See these threads:

http://localsearchforum.catalystema...tal-impressions-dropped-all-my-clients-3.html

http://localsearchforum.catalystema...tics-problem-impressions-actions-dropped.html

However, as a service area business, you MUST hide your address in the Places dash. Not doing this will get your listing taken down in the blink of an eye. When you search the address on your listing, it's clear that it's a residential location. Before you do ANYTHING, go into your places dash and hide the address.

That's odd that the address is showing. I have my address hidden on my dash and when you see our listing during a search it only lists "Westborough, Ma"

Is there something else causing this? a bug?

---------- Post Merged at 09:03 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:59 AM ----------

Wow you're right. I searched our company and the address is shown. I have ALWAYS had the "Do not show this business address on maps" checked.

It typically doesn't show, but now today it is!

What do you suggest I do?

Definitely hide the address ASAP and check on it every few days, just to pull out any monkey wrenches you may find in there :)

Let me clarify for everyone. The "do not show address" box has always been checked (hiding my address) yet now it seems to be showing the address anyway??

Common problem?

Ross I think that's a NEW BUG. I started seeing several reports of the same thing with folks I was helping at the Google forum late last night.

I reported it to Google but I doubt they are in yet.
Will find some of the threads where others are reporting it and post here PLUS let you know what Google says when they reply.

Ross - have you tried edit/submit?

how long have you had this listing verified? have you made any edits to name, address or phone?

there is no history in the corresponding Map Maker entry - Google Map Maker

If Google re-inserted the listing, it might help explain why the address hidden is being overridden.

Hey, I'm a poet!

Ross - have you tried edit/submit?

how long have you had this listing verified? have you made any edits to name, address or phone?

there is no history in the corresponding Map Maker entry - Google Map Maker

If Google re-inserted the listing, it might help explain why the address hidden is being overridden.

Hey, I'm a poet!

We posted at same time Keenan so I didn't see your post.

Great point and theory! That would make sense since when you 1st hide address it takes about 5 days before the address disappears.

Curious if a poke would help. Course even if we get someone to do it would not know if it was the poke that worked or the normal 5 day delay for hiding address since pokes take about 5 days as well.

I'm going to try a MapMaker poke on this one to generate history and see if I can see what's up.

HEY I know you and I have asked Google several times but I don't recall getting an answer... Do we know why so many listings are getting re-created, losing ranking and having to start over in the cycle like new listings? Did we ever get any hints about why that's happening? I have a theory based on one case I worked on, but don't know if it's the only reason all these listings are starting over.

OK did a MapMaker poke to generate history and this it supports my theory.

My theory about why listings are starting over in the local database is due to merges that go backwards and I had this happen on a listing that Jade worked on for me. Instead of the unclaimed dupe merging into the MAIN CLAIMED listing I wanted to keep, the merge went the wrong direction. My claimed #1 ranking listing got merged into the empty unclaimed dupe. So now my claimed LONG STANDING listing suddenly had a brand new CID.

I this case in this thread, when I poked Map Maker to generate history it imported it as a brand new listing in Map Maker. WITH A DOUBLE NAME:

Map Maker Link
This Establishment / Point of Interest is newly added
Google Automated Places Data Copier
Cahill Plumbing & Heating, Inc. (English-Primary)
John F Cahill Plumbing Heating (English)

So Keenan does that make sense? Google creates a dupe in the background after finding citations with another name. Then algo on it's own does a merge but it ends up being a backwards merge so the existing claimed listing starts over due to being a new CID???

ATTN Ross - There may be another good reason for your lack of impressions too.

You are violating Google guidelines by having 2 locations and 2 listings.
(508) 366-9220 - Google Maps

Service area businesses are only allowed one! Guideline follows...

"Businesses that operate in a service area, as opposed to a single location, should not create a listing for every city they service. Businesses that operate in a service area should create one listing for the central office or location and designate service areas."

Your locations are in close proximity. You can't for instance set up one listing at your house and another at a relatives or an employees house.

No, we never got a straight answer. In fact, I think the only answer we received was listings don't always have histories in MM.

I think you're definitely on to something, that Google may be scraping citations which rebuilds the MM entry, thus showing no history.

That said, this alone would not explain the issue causing the address to no longer be hidden. Several of the reports are from listings with mature MM entries. But I thought it might still play a role in this case.

Thanks everyone. I will have to delete the duplicate!

I am still a bit confused as to what else I can do.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom