More threads by Marcin Karwowski

Solutions
Reaction score
I just noticed that a while ago a huge number of business owners received an email with the same content, that their name was updated and the emoticon was removed from the name.

Apparently, Google finally decided to clean it up and removed emojis from names en masse. It's a beautiful day if emoticons in company names finally disappear.

2023-01-25_20-39.jpg

Solution
It's probably a specific subset of characters that for some reason includes the ® character. Maybe because everything in the enclosed alphanumeric Unicode block gets removed and AI stupidly includes the registered symbol as too similar?

The easiest way to target emojis is with Unicode blocks, so I assume that's how they'd do any other chars, but taking out ® that way wouldn't work because it's in the Latin-1 Supplement block...
I got a notification today about an "®" being removed from a name. This client needs that in their name, though. We'll have to revert the update.

What!?! You mean Google paints with a broad brush and can't detect subtleties that are obvious to the human eye???

I don't know how the algorithm works, but since Darren @whitespark noticed that not only emoticons are removed, but also other non-standard characters, it is possible.
It's not the first time an algorithm works against logic 😉

It's probably a specific subset of characters that for some reason includes the ® character. Maybe because everything in the enclosed alphanumeric Unicode block gets removed and AI stupidly includes the registered symbol as too similar?

The easiest way to target emojis is with Unicode blocks, so I assume that's how they'd do any other chars, but taking out ® that way wouldn't work because it's in the Latin-1 Supplement block...

Solution

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom