More threads by Tim Colling

Tim Colling

Local Search Expert
LocalU Member
Solutions
Reaction score
We have been seeing the problem that many others have been seeing: Google reviews are sometimes visible to the reviewer after posting but are not visible to others when they view the Google Business Profiles.

I did some testing today and I have reproducible cases in which the deciding factor appears to be whether or not the Google account of the person posting the review is brand new. If the reviewer's account IS brand new, the reviews are not displayed to anyone other than the reviewer.

Isn't this the same thing as the "user's first review" filter that noticed earlier this summer?

I don't know. I don't recall seeing that exact phrase here. I just searched for it and didn't find it.

Note that I'm not saying that the problem arises with a google account's first review. I am saying that the problem arises with one or more reviews from a brand new google account. That's a different situation.

Interesting find Tim! I think this makes sense if Google is trying to prevent spam and fake reviews.

Has anyone actually had success with that form?

I don't know, because everyone reports their account individually, not the GMB profile. But support checked accounts that had such shadowbans proudly, so they created a form to report it.

I'm just hesitant to suggest people start using it without knowing if it works. Lots of things Google comes out with are just black holes :)

I agree 🙂 All I know is that the form works and accounts are checked if google is notoriously hiding someone else's opinions. But what percentage it is and what the reasons are, we will probably never know 😉

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom