More threads by djbaxter

djbaxter

Administrator
Solutions
Reaction score
Google clarifies the upcoming Speed Update only impacts the 'slowest sites'
by Barry Schwartz, Search Engine Land
July 3, 2018

With Google’s Speed Update coming sometime this month, I asked Google’s John Mueller to clarify what he meant when he said the update will work at “more of a gradual scale.” In a recent webmaster hangout, he told participants that “the faster you can make your pages the more we can take that into account. And it’s not so much that it’s like it’s too slow or it’s faster.”

That seemed to contradict the original announcement where Google said this update “will only affect pages that deliver the slowest experience to users.” So I asked Mueller about this one on Twitter.

He reiterated the earlier guidance that “this only affects the slowest sites” adding that “those can incrementally improve” but went on to say that “ideally, you’d significantly improve the speed.”

He also confirmed that Google is “still aiming for this month” for the rollout. Mueller also explained once again that “if your site is reasonably fast, tweaking won’t change things.”

So, in short, if you have a fast site, making it faster “won’t change things” with your rankings (at least due to the Speed Update), but if your site is slow, even incremental changes might help.

Read more...

Thanks, for posting.

Curious, what's an acceptable mobile page speed?

I clicked through several links in the article, but none of them seemed to provide that information.

Any suggestions?

That is because Google won't say which metric is fast enough.

... which leads most webmasters simply trying to get the speed as high as possible to increase the magic numbers:

page-speed-insights.png

page-speed-insights.png

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom