djbaxter

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Read and reply to reviews - Google My Business Help

Tips for responding to reviews
Business owner responses allow you to build relationships with customers, but they’re also public. When replying to your customers, keep the following guidelines in mind:
  • Be nice and don’t get personal. This isn’t just a guideline—it’s also a good idea as a business owner. It's difficult to win an argument with a frustrated customer, and you want to avoid burning bridges. Keep your responses useful, readable, and courteous. In addition, responses should comply with our local content policy.
  • Keep it short and sweet. Users are looking for useful and genuine responses, but they can easily be overwhelmed by a long response.
  • Thank your reviewers. Respond to happy reviewers when you have new or relevant information to share. You don’t need to thank every reviewer publicly, since each response reaches lots of customers.
  • Be a friend, not a salesperson. Your reviewers are already customers, so there’s no need to offer incentives or advertisements. Tell reviewers something new about your business, or share something they might not have learned from their first visit.
Replying to negative reviews
Negative reviews are not necessarily a sign of bad business practices. For example, the customer may have had mismatched expectations. Replying to reviews can help identify points on how to improve the experience for customers.

Below are tips to help you respond well to negative reviews, and leave a positive impression with both current and future customers:
  • Do not share personal data of the reviewer or attack them personally on Maps, on other services, or in the real world. Instead, suggest that they contact you personally (via Google My Business Messaging, email, phone, etc.) to resolve the issue. A positive post-review interaction often leads to the customer updating the review, and shows prospective customers that you really care.
  • Investigate the reasons behind the reviewer’s negative impression of the business. Check your records for the reviewer and their experience with your business.
  • Be honest about mistakes that were made, but do not take responsibility for things that weren’t your fault. Explain what you can and cannot do in the situation. Show how you can make uncontrollable issues actionable (e.g. bad weather made you cancel an event, but you’ll monitor the weather and provide advance cancellation warnings).
  • Apologize when appropriate. It’s best to say something that demonstrates compassion and empathy.
  • Show that you’re a real person by signing off with your name or initials. This helps you come across as more authentic.
  • Never lash out. Never get personal. Always be polite and professional, just as you would be face-to-face.
  • Respond in a timely manner to show that you pay attention to your customer’s experience. You can use the Google My Business app to reply promptly.
If you believe that a Google review violates the posting guidelines, you can flag it as inappropriate by clicking More
google flag.png
Flag as inappropriate.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Eric Shanfelt VIDEO TIP: How to Make a Direct Google Reviews Link Local Reviews 4
H Google Images associated with GMB. Getting worse? Any new tips Google My Business & Google Maps 3
James Watt Google's new mobile testing tool, plus some mobile optimization tips Local Search 1
Linda Buquet Experts Share Tips: How to Optimize your Google My Business Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 1
L Critical Google Local Dupe Research Tips: New Tool & New Trick Google Duplicates & Merges 9
Linda Buquet Critical Google Local Dupe Research Tips: New Tool & New Trick Google Duplicates & Merges 9
Linda Buquet ▶ VIDEO: Google Local Hangout: Problems, Tips & Tricks with the Google TCs Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Linda Buquet Can "Closed" Google Local Listings Kill Ranking? Important New Troubleshooting Tip Google My Business & Google Maps 51
L Advanced Tip for Google Local Duplicate Discovery & Troubleshooting Google Duplicates & Merges 19
Linda Buquet Advanced Tip for Google Local Troubleshooting & Duplicate Discovery Google My Business & Google Maps 21
Linda Buquet Advanced Tip for Google Local Duplicate Discovery & Troubleshooting Google Duplicates & Merges 19
Linda Buquet Pigeon Strategy :: Local Voice Search :: Google Review Tips :: Local Influencers Local Search 1
Linda Buquet 8 Tips to Optimize Your Local Knowledge Panel in Google Search - Local University Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Linda Buquet Video Haha - How to Optimize Your Google My Business Listing - Greg's Tip Video Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Linda Buquet Pimp Your Google+ Local Page with these 22 Rock Solid Tips Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Linda Buquet Google My Business News, Tips & Updates Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Linda Buquet Google Local 101 Forum - Best Local SEO Beginner Tips Google Local 101 3
Colan Nielsen Tips For A Safe Google Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 3
L Ranking Puzzle or Hot Tip? Blogspot for Google+ Local Sites? Ranking Puzzles 4
Linda Buquet Ranking Puzzle or Hot Tip? Blogspot for Google+ Local Sites? Ranking Puzzles 4
Colan Nielsen Google+ Local Optimization Tips/Tricks To Improve Ranking Google My Business & Google Maps 21
Linda Buquet 24 Google+ Guides, Tips and Rants - Best of 2012 Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Linda Buquet Google+ Marketing Tips, Tricks and Treats Local Search 1
Linda Buquet Google+ Local Review Q&A + Great Tips Local Search 12
Linda Buquet Rebuild Google+ Local Reviews - iPhone Review Tip and More Local Search 1
Linda Buquet Multiple Agents/Professionals @ Same Location - Google Places Best Practice Tips Local Search 15
DangGood Missing Google Guaranteed Badge on Mobile only for one Category Paid Search and Local Service Ads 0
C Google removing SAB's with no communication Service Area Businesses 3
M Google Maps Rankings are not Stable Google My Business & Google Maps 6
stankolev What is the maximum number of categories single Google My Business listing can have? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
Chris Ratchford Google Ads- Local Pack- one GMB location only? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
Don Archer Google business listing with 482 Real Review Missing. How do I get them back? Help & Support for Google Local 2
Nikki Stine Are negative Google reviews due to supply shortages considered 'off-topic'? Local Reviews 2
Jeffrey Taylor Adding a new category to Google my Business Google My Business & Google Maps 4
david.victor Attribute used as Category by Google on Maps NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 8
M Google Search Console Errors "Coverage and Breadcrumbs"? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Lachlan_Wells Accept/Discard Google Updates - Does this feature work for you? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
E "Duplicate" Profile That Google Claims We Already Manage? Google Duplicates & Merges 5
T Can a Credit Union Create Google Posts Without Falling Under Prohibited Content? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
djbaxter Google My Business Bug Dropping SAB Businesses In Independence, Kansas Service Area Businesses 1
JamesGreenaway Google Insights query Google My Business & Google Maps 1
RobertCarnitas Google Posts Live on GMB, But Not Showing in GMB Dashboard Google My Business & Google Maps 1
rickvidallon How Do You Access The Buttons In Google My Business For Online Services? Local Search 4
NexstarNickR Google Star Rating: LSA vs. GMB All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
Phil Rozek Google Maps reviews get "New" label for reviews less than 1 month old Local Reviews 5
JoyHawkins Get Live Inventory Displayed on Your Google My Business Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 9
JoyHawkins Google Testing 2-Packs on Mobile Google News: Important Changes & Features 4
Paul Gregory Google Maps default location bias distance and the Google Maps Places API Google Algorithm Discussions 2
Chris Ratchford Google Analytics - setting up goals for click-to-call Organic SEO 2
L Google ranking in Legal Field Organic SEO 1