Larry Linson

Reaction score
I have an injury lawyer client who is hard hit by the Medic Update: Search Console tells me his most recent high daily traffic number was 3137 on August 2, 2018. Fell precipitously from that day to from 600 to 1000 a day. Really don't see what he has done wrong. Got a URL rating of 30, Domain Rating of 14 which is a tad higher than that for the competitor who seems to have won the Post Medic day. He ranks high consistently in the snack pack, but many of his vital keyword rankings are now off the first page, and he is in a panic. Can anyone give me suggestions as to how I might help him?

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
Hey Larry,

I've audited quite a few attorneys that had drops after Medic and for all of them the drop was to their blogs or articles they'd written. In *most* cases this wasn't a big deal since they weren't pages that were driving the majority of the conversions.

I found the majority of the drops were around medical malpractice related stuff which falls inline with what most people have written about regarding this update since that topic is a Your-Money-Or-Your-Life topic.

I'd suggest starting by identifying which pages saw a decline in traffic and looking to see what is different (authority-wise) about the pages that are now ranking instead of your client.

Cherie Dickey

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
I would also really examine the attorney's reputation. Being YMYL, not having a strong positive reputation as an authority off site (or not as strong as the competition) can be a contributing factor as well.

Larry Linson

Reaction score
Thank you Cherie for your response. Not sure what we mean by reputation: my attorney has good reviews on Google my business - indeed she ranks well consistently in the "snack pack". She has good Avvo review, decent Yelp as well.

Larry Linson

Reaction score
Hey Larry,

I've audited quite a few attorneys that had drops after Medic and for all of them the drop was to their blogs or articles they'd written. In *most* cases this wasn't a big deal since they weren't pages that were driving the majority of the conversions.

I found the majority of the drops were around medical malpractice related stuff which falls inline with what most people have written about regarding this update since that topic is a Your-Money-Or-Your-Life topic.

I'd suggest starting by identifying which pages saw a decline in traffic and looking to see what is different (authority-wise) about the pages that are now ranking instead of your client.

Thanks Joy for your response. What exactly do you mean by "authority-wise"?

Cherie Dickey

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Hey Larry,

There are many other review sites besides GMB. There are also endorsements from other authoritative sources such as awards, public recommendations by other trusted professionals in related fields, etc. There is also guest posting on highly respected and vetted industry related blogs as well. For YMYL sites, the more robust this overall endorsement/review profile is for the person responsible for the content of the site (in your case an Atty), the more competitive the site will be in search.

That said, the the content on the site needs to be high quality as well. So, Joy's suggestion is going to be your first tool in your toolbox in this case. But reputation itself is also important, so your client should be working on that while you work on the site. And truthfully, you client should always be working on that.

I hope this helps!

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
Thanks Joy for your response. What exactly do you mean by "authority-wise"?

In most of the cases I looked at, I noticed things like the credentials of the author being explicitly listed, peer reviews being listed (ex: this article was peer reviewed by X) and awards/badges being displayed that helped clarify why that person that wrote the article is an authority on that topic.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Travis Van Slooten Hard Suspension of GMB Listing: Multiple Businesses at Same Address? Google My Business & Google Maps 9
Stef Kiley Help Hard suspension - 500+ reviews gone Help & Support for Google Local 4
J SAB Hard suspension Service Area Businesses 4
Kevin Marshall How Hard Is It to Outrank Yelp and Other Directory Websites in the SERPs? Local Search 5
C Hard suspension on 5 year GMB listing Help & Support for Google Local 5
Matt Casady Hard Suspension but Showing as "Published" Help & Support for Google Local 20
Klaas Koopman Local SEO For Dentists... hard market right? Consultant's Corner 3
L Between a Rock and a Hard Place on Google Local - Rebranding or Moving? Moving or Name Changes 12
Linda Buquet Between a Rock and a Hard Place on Google Local - Rebranding or Moving? Moving or Name Changes 12
Linda Buquet Hard Core Local SEO Audit Resources for Local Search Consultants Consultant's Corner 1
Margaret Ornsby Yelp court ruling: it's not extortion, just hard bargaining ?!? Marketing 3
Linda Buquet Hard Research: Pigeon's Impact on Local Search Visibility Google My Business & Google Maps 14
Linda Buquet Google+ Local is Fricking Hard! Don't Discount Your Time and Knowledge! Consultant's Corner 10
Ross Barefoot Any Hard Data on Local CTR vs. Pure Organic CTR Google My Business & Google Maps 10
J Great organic rankings, but hit by Possum Local Search 8
J Is Penguin Update here ? My Penguin hit site moved from page 6 to 3 Local Search 1
Linda Buquet For More Local Traffic Hit Play ▶ Video Marketing Mini Roundup Marketing 1
Linda Buquet Google My Business App Update - Just Hitting Now Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Linda Buquet Google Confirms Penguin Update Hit Friday 10/17/14 - 1st Update In Over A Year Organic SEO 10
Linda Buquet Cool Tool to Diagnose What Google Penalty you were Hit By Organic SEO 1
Linda Buquet GMB So Easy a Monkey can do it Campaign Hits Front Page of Google Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Dustybones Have you been hit with a negative SEO attack? Local Search 4
Dustybones Matt Cutts wisdom on how to figure out what Algorithm you have been hit with Local Search 0
Linda Buquet What To Do When The Sh*t Hits The (Organic) SEO Fan Organic SEO 3
B How do I know if a listing was hit with a penalty? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
D Have your local clients been hit by manual penalties from google w/ WMT messages Organic SEO 0
Daniel C Berman Possible Move Against Partial Match Domans, Will GeoModifers in Domains Get Hit? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
D Penquin 2.0 hit today. Anyone get hit in the Google Local 7 Pack? Local Search 28
Linda Buquet Infographic - How Long before Citations Hit Google? Local Search 4
MatGee Multiple Practitioners at Medical Office, Is It Possible To Share Reviews? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
MKubot Inside Medical Building (with bad reviews) Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
J GMB listings for medical practice with multiple doctors Google My Business & Google Maps 10
E Shared Medical Office Suite Google My Business & Google Maps 10
djbaxter Did the June 2019 update bury quack medical sites? Google Algorithm Discussions 14
Tim Colling Hospice "Medical Director" duplicate listings with practitioners Google My Business & Google Maps 4
liorenda Possible Effect of the Medic Update Local Search 1
L My Brief but Spectacular Look at Post Medic Attorney Rankings Google Algorithm Discussions 3
JoyHawkins October 3, 2018 - Google Medic Algo Update - How Did It Affect Local Businesses? Google Algorithm Discussions 4
J Organic Rankings Recovering From Medic; Local Still Not Improving Google Algorithm Discussions 7
djbaxter Yoast: Is the Medic update about intent? Local Search 0
JoyHawkins The Medic Core Algorithm Update - August 1, 2018 Google Algorithm Discussions 47
G Targeting Medical Practices Consultant's Corner 0
D Google My Business for Medical Practices & Practitioners in 2015 Google Duplicates & Merges 2
Dustybones Google My Business for Medical Practices & Practitioners in 2015 Google Duplicates & Merges 2
T Google Medical Practice/Doctor Listings: Citations & Duplicates Local Search 10