More threads by BlueManDude

BlueManDude

Reaction score
I understand that the consensus in the local SEO world is that Google gives businesses that have a physical location ranking preference over SABs. In order to circumvent the discrimination, lots of SABs flaunt the rules and list their homes as their physical locations. I know that a lot of local SEOs are Google Product Experts who have direct contact with Google. Have any of these product experts communicated to Google how unfair it is for SABs that follow the rules to be at a disadvantage in local search ranking?

I understand that the consensus in the local SEO world is that Google gives businesses that have a physical location ranking preference over SABs. In order to circumvent the discrimination, lots of SABs flaunt the rules and list their homes as their physical locations. I know that a lot of local SEOs are Google Product Experts who have direct contact with Google. Have any of these product experts communicated to Google how unfair it is for SABs that follow the rules to be at a disadvantage in local search ranking?

Google Maps was never intended to be for SABs. You can list an SAB on Apple Maps. I have seen plenty of SABs rank well. If you are not ranking, there could be issues with the website or your GBP. To quote Eric Clapton, "Before you accuse me, take a look at yourself."

Google Maps was never intended to be for SABs. You can list an SAB on Apple Maps. I have seen plenty of SABs rank well. If you are not ranking, there could be issues with the website or your GBP. To quote Eric Clapton, "Before you accuse me, take a look at yourself."

I am of several thoughts on this. On the one hand, we've all had instances of GBPs were showing the address was an undeniable difference maker (and that's without even getting started on the address change bug). On the other hand, it's safe to assume Google never actually intended for that to happen.

What we're all upset about is Google's wholesale rejection of the idea there is a problem going on just because there isn't supposed to be one, because it's been proven that the phenomenon exists.

Have any of these product experts communicated to Google how unfair it is for SABs that follow the rules to be at a disadvantage in local search ranking?
Discrimination? Unfair? As I explain to our clients, "You have to remember Google Maps...is a map. Maps are intended to get you places, so we have to take advantage of Google throwing us this bone and play by their rules. If you want to get the strength of a physical location in your desired market, then you'll need to budget that out.".

I am of several thoughts on this. On the one hand, we've all had instances of GBPs were showing the address was an undeniable difference maker (and that's without even getting started on the address change bug). On the other hand, it's safe to assume Google never actually intended for that to happen.

What we're all upset about is Google's wholesale rejection of the idea there is a problem going on just because there isn't supposed to be one, because it's been proven that the phenomenon exists.

Thank you. Since it's been proven that the phenomenon exists, have any of the product experts who have direct contact with Google showed them that the phenomenon exists?

Thank you. Since it's been proven that the phenomenon exists, have any of the product experts who have direct contact with Google showed them that the phenomenon exists?

Google will not change how GBPs rank when showing or hiding the address. GBP was never intended for SABs. Google had to make an expectation. There are countless ways to improve your local SEO and rankings: a website redesign, a well-optimized landing page, citations, and a steady flow of reviews. Our agency launched a redesigned website on Thursday, and our client went from little to no visibility to a larger reach.

keyword 2.gif

It's simply not a phenomenon, let alone one that needs proving. It's a feature, not a bug.

It's simply not a phenomenon, let alone one that needs proving. It's a feature, not a bug.

When I'm searching for a plumber, or a painter, or lawn care service, or garage repair service the location doesn't matter as long as they're in the same city as me.

Businesses that fall into that category with their location showing should not have a higher placement than other businesses.

It's a bug.

When I'm searching for a plumber, or a painter, or lawn care service, or garage repair service the location doesn't matter as long as they're in the same city as me.

Businesses that fall into that category with their location showing should not have a higher placement than other businesses.

It's a bug.

Because you or your clients think SABs should have equal footing clearly does not mean Google does...obviously...which they really drove home in 2018. If you don't like it, optimize your websites and GBPs to better battle physical locations. It's not rocket science, but it's also not a given. You can also do what Google probably intended as the outcome — use PPC budget to better compete.

A bug implies Google isn't aware and, if they are, is working to correct it. You can think it's a bug all day long, but it's literally a Google-designed feature and one that has now existed for years.

Again, Google Maps is literally a map. Show me in the history of cartography when not-a-location was shown on a map. Google is effectively throwing SABs a bone by allowing them on the product (and then forcing them to PPC to better compete).

Fwiw, my agency's client mix is 70% home services SABs, but I've been doing this for over 20 years, and it's never crossed my mind that it's unfair or not. The Maps product has evolved over time and elicits a "It is what it is." from me when asked by clients.

Google Maps is effectively being controlled by 2 Google departments - The Maps team who want it to be a great mapping and information system - The marketing team who saw Maps as a great way of marketing businesses.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom