More threads by Claire Carlile

Claire Carlile

LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
One of my clients just had hotel ads start showing in their business profile, they are UK based - they do offer accommodation but this isn't their primary service - their GMB listing makes no mention of lodging (aside from photos) nor do any of their categories reflect lodging.

They don't sell their accommodation product through any of the obvious OTAs, not do they run ad campaigns themselves for their accommodation (or for any service). They do have a Tripadvisor page for their accommodation and a page on Expedia (but not for their lodging service) so you can see why Google might associate their entity with accommodation. Is there any way to get the ad block removed from the business profile? GMB support say it's nothing to do with them - contact Google Ads. Google Ads say it's nothing to do with them - contact GMB. Arrrgh! Any ideas? Thank-you!

Hi Claire,

Are the ads appearing of your client or are the ads of competitors?
Heres some info on Hotels ads.

I'm not aware of a way to be able to disable ads, I'm afraid you might have to bid for your own brand¿!?!

Hi Lluc, the ad box appears but no ads - this has only just appeared. The business does not use ads, not does it work with any OTA that would run an ad:

1576669208980.png

So - Google has started to associate this GMB listing with an accommodation offering, even though non of the categories are accommodation based and the listing doesn't mention accommodation either. The Ad box just isn't relevant - ads are never going to appear in it. It's v frustrating! Does anyone have any experience of this? The business still has access to Google posts. Thx

Ok. So if you are sure that your booking engine has no integrations then I would contact Google My Business support and let them know that it is a technical mistake, that the profile is not of a hotel and that it needs to be scaled up to the technical department.

Let me know how it goes!

Good luck!

Thanks Lluc! 😊 GMB say they can't deal with it, AdWords support say it's up to GMB support, and now GMB have told me to contact the 'Hotel Ads Team' but their contact form is borked. I'll follow your advice and try GMB again (third time lucky 🍀)

Hey Claire,

I saw this on a museum earlier this year.

Hi @JoyHawkins - yes, I'm seeing these more and more! I'm keeping these in mind when the attraction and activity providers start working and selling tickets or experiences with 'experience' OTAs such as 'Get Your Guide' - it's only a matter of time before that business starts having to compete with that OTA for ad space in THEIR OWN knowledge panel. Just like hotels have to.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom