Digitaldar

Reaction score
Let's see if I can formulate my question in a way it can be understood :)

I am working with a hotel in a small town... that happens to share a town/city name with a city in Australia :) Google does not always understand that I want to see results an hour from me as opposed to another continent LOL

The hotel is fine in GMB.
There was a restaurant in the hotel that was in GMB and it closed. A new restaurant has joined the hotel and is trying to set up GMB... I *think* they verified (I'm just getting my hands dirty in this now) but are not visible - AND they can't get rid of the old restaurant at the same address. This restaurant is no longer in business and the new restaurant has been on the phone with Google and requested access to the old restaurant via GMB but were rejected. Google has apparently not been helpful - and I need to get on the phone with them in the next day or two as part of the work I am doing.

There is also a spa that is part of the hotel and yet is also open to the public so want to be found in GMB - they will share the same address.

Best practices for multiple businesses at one address? Should not be an issue as we see it with multiple lawyers, dentists, etc. The restaurant and spa can indicate they are INSIDE the hotel...

Suggestions/best practices/warnings?

I have explained previously that getting citations for the new restaurant would be important as well as links (the hotel could link to the restaurant and that would help, as could the spa which has it's own domain).

Thanks!

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
You definitely need to deal with the closed listing for the old restaurant. If you are talking to GMB support, tell them you want it marked as moved. If you share the links to the 2 listings (new and old restaurant) I can probably advise better.

Once it's fixed, you can have GMB add the relation feature so that the restaurant gets a label that says it's inside the hotel.

Digitaldar

Reaction score
LOL - I think I lived in that city in Australia, and was forever getting frustrated with Google returning searches for a town in the US by the same name. Didn't know that when they fixed it for us here, they made things trickier for you.
So much for "machine learning"... ;-)
Actually it's a Canadian town so maybe a new issue LOL

Digitaldar

Reaction score
You definitely need to deal with the closed listing for the old restaurant. If you are talking to GMB support, tell them you want it marked as moved. If you share the links to the 2 listings (new and old restaurant) I can probably advise better.

Once it's fixed, you can have GMB add the relation feature so that the restaurant gets a label that says it's inside the hotel.

Thanks Joy!
So as of yesterday the old restaurant is no longer in GMB and the new restaurant comes up for specific searches - we'll work on getting it to come up for "Town Restaurants" for example. The restaurant's URL redirects to a page on the hotel website so I do think that will make a difference - to have their own website which is more robust than a single page... either that or I need to re-run BrightLocal using the hotel URL for restaurant terms rather than the restaurant URL... which is a redirect :)

Can you tell me how to apply the relation feature?

The next thing I need to look into is that when you google the spa, the hotel comes up (and worse, GMB for the hotel is the chain URL booking page - the chain will not allow the hotel to use their own URL). When you search for the hotel, the spa comes up! I do not have access to GMB for the hotel but I do for the spa. I am guessing this has something to do with the spa URL being a folder on the hotel URL?

Or the amenities of the spa overlap with a hotel - 2018-10-03_0624

Maybe steer potential reviewers towards using the word spa?

Does the spa require it's own URL? It has several pages on the hotel website as opposed the restaurant which has 1-2. Hopefully not as people often book accommodation along with the spa so it makes sense to have both options on the same website.

Last question... can both the chain and the hotel websites have GMB listings? I am guessing not...

Thank you!

Chaddow

Reaction score
Hello Digitaldar

"The next thing I need to look into is that when you google the spa, the hotel comes up (and worse, GMB for the hotel is the chain URL booking page - the chain will not allow the hotel to use their own URL). When you search for the hotel, the spa comes up! I do not have access to GMB for the hotel but I do for the spa. I am guessing this has something to do with the spa URL being a folder on the hotel URL? "

I get this all the time with hotel amenities appearing for the other locations in the hotel reach out to google hotel support and they should be able to resolve the those kind of issues but you will have to control all related listings to do this

"Can you tell me how to apply the relation feature?" - I am not aware of a form if joy can point us in that direction that would be great

"Does the spa require it's own URL"
- no it can be a sub page

"can both the chain and the hotel websites have GMB listings?" - No one or both of the listing will be suspended