BWrightTLM

Reaction score
Hi all.

I have a business that I have recently used Brightlocal to add/update some citations for and am showing around 200 citations that are live now. This is good, and when I look up some of the competitors on Google Maps, we have more/better info than all of them... and we have more citations built.

I have come to realize that there are a good amount of citations out there from the last two addresses we had, and have decided that this has to be what is hurting us the most.

Is there a best practice to fix the NAP on old citations? Or is there a service that will help do this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Hey BWrightTLM,

Cleaning up listings with old NAP data is a long and tedious, albeit very important undertaking.

There are some great tools and services out there to discover incorrect listings, such as the Citation Tracker from Bright Local. However, to do the best job possible, you need to use a varied approach, which always includes manual search and discover.

Here are some thoughts when working on NAP clean-up:

• Use tools to compliment manual search and discover, not to replace them
  • Start with the Data Providers (Localeze, Acxiom, ExpressUpdate)
  • Focus on the most important sites after that (CitySearch, Yelp, Yellowpages..)
  • Be vigilant with following up when you have to e-mail or use contact us forms. Certain directories won't update or remove old listings until after you contact them multiple times
  • Claim and update when possible, report as incorrect when not possible
  • Read everything by Nyagoslav
  • Look into the tools offered by Bright Local and Whitespark

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Android Browser Wrong # How to Fix? Local Search 2
LocalSEODat Need help with a suspended GMB - Client had home address as place of biz, then suspended. Fixed to meet customers and got reply with no reason Service Area Businesses 6
djbaxter WordPress 5.5 update breaks plugins: Here’s the fix Websites, Software, and Security 6
virens Reporting SABs incorrectly set up with fixed addresses Spam on Google 12
Oliver Keates How to list a mobile business that doesn't have a fixed address Google My Business & Google Maps 3
H After the Foundation is fixed. . . . Consultant's Corner 5
djbaxter WordPress 4.9.4 Fixes Critical Auto Update Bug in 4.9.3 Websites, Software, and Security 0
F [Help] Fixing Listings on Brownbook & MerchantCircle Local Search 3
Bruce Bird Business in multiple locations with no fixed base Local Search 1
L Analysing a google local ranking drop and how to fix it ? Local Search 2
Linda Buquet DAVID - Post broke forum template. Can you fix? Mod Squad 3
Garrett Sussman Why Clients Don't Live Up to Their End of the Bargain (and How to Fix It) Local Reviews 2
Colan Nielsen Google Is Fixing The ?Permanently Closed? Problem Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Eric Rohrback A Great Story about a Manual Penalty - How would you fix it? Marketing 6
Linda Buquet Major Google Local Algo Changes - No it was a BUG, Now Fixed Google My Business & Google Maps 36
Gsmithmike Shall i Clean wrong citations with physical addresses or fix it? Citations 1
L Fixing Citations - Questions for Other Consultants Consultant's Corner 12
D Fixing/Building Local Citations - The Options... Citations 4
Linda Buquet How to Fix a Negative Review with Compassion & Contrition Local Reviews 7
Erim Foster Fixing or removing erroneous citations for SAB with hidden address Citations 8
Dustybones Google Pigeon Update: Why you dropped and how to fix it? Local Search 3
R Fixing Several Duplicates Under One Dash Google Duplicates & Merges 5
RobinOctane Fixing Several Duplicates Under One Dash Google Duplicates & Merges 5
V Updated address, never showed, called to fix. forced to google+ Disapeared Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Cam Is Google going to fix Local Search results favoring PPC clients and Diectories? Local Search 2
Dustybones Fixing Google Map Markers in office complexes, strip malls, etc.. Google My Business & Google Maps 0
djbaxter Don't Try To Fix Your Google Maps Listing Yourself, Call Google? Google My Business & Google Maps 8
L What Causes Google+ Local Merged Listings - How to Fix? Google Duplicates & Merges 4
Linda Buquet What Causes Google+ Local Merged Listings - How to Fix? Google Duplicates & Merges 4
G Clients G+L listing is missing photos - how do I fix the problem? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
djbaxter Fixed: Security Vulnerability in W3 Total Cache plugin in for WordPress Websites, Software, and Security 1
Cleaner44 I found and fixed a problem today... something to be aware of Local Search 8
A Old listing reflects the wrong information - But there's a twist. Google Duplicates & Merges 1
Phil Rozek Google Maps reviews get "New" label for reviews less than 1 month old Local Reviews 5
k.ivanova Wikipedia page associated with old brand KP Ranking Puzzles 2
M Removing old GMB listing from previous owner of premises Google My Business & Google Maps 1
S Old Listing Hijacked by another business Spam on Google 2
K GMB Adding Old Business Name & Putting True Name in Parathesis Only In English Browser Google My Business & Google Maps 1
jpayne7 Business Moved Before GMB Verification (Postcard is Being Sent to Old Location) Moving or Name Changes 7
M Google changes client's 5 year old, verified GMB to a duplicate listing Google Duplicates & Merges 7
A Pointing SEO friendly domain to old domain and its effect on GMB ranking? Local Search 4
Antonio 4500 plus reviews suspended for a 26-year-old hotel business. Local Reviews 17
DanielTexasLira Business acquires another business. Should I rename the old GMB listing or label it as "Permanently Closed"? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
valentinb13 Current business GMB not showing up—Old Business is Google Duplicates & Merges 8
Ben Walsh GMB business name keeps getting reverted back to old name after branding change Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
eshad Google has merged accounts but is showing an old listing Google Duplicates & Merges 1
K Competitor Republishing Old Reviews as New? Google My Business & Google Maps 7
L 2 year old website with no links, no content dominating local pack?? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
FriarTuck00 Moving, but Might Reopen Old Location Later - What to Do? Moving or Name Changes 1
j_holtslander Couple of 12 hour old reviewer accounts astroturfing client. Spam on Google 6