More threads by mikepcservice

Reaction score
I have been paying someone to manually backlink from high authority site for some years now but would like to do it myself, what would I need to do to create backlinks from such top level sites as Dell, Sony, Quora e.t.c please?

The best way to get backlinks is via outreach. Whether that's outreach to journalists/bloggers, outreach to your target audience or outreach to relevant businesses and websites to your niche.
  1. Contributing sponsored posts on high-quality websites. There is a cost associated with this. You can reach out to other sites with high domain authority and traffic to either offer a sponsored guest post or partnership. Make sure that you do research about your partners and it is going to be beneficial for both of you and relevant for your readers. Plus, you can promote your content on multiple social media platforms and with the voices of influencers to get even more backlinks, social shares and mentions.
  2. Creating link-worthy content aka content that YOUR readers love. This is high-quality content that other websites want to link to. Just because you created it doesn't mean the links will just start to come, you will need to promote it to journalists, important bloggers and influencers. This could also work by creating a new relevant or trending study with heavy data or even using survey data. Then you focus on building contextual backlinks and offering your content as a valuable resource. This is the most natural way to build backlinks.
  3. Become or highlight that you are an SME (Subject Matter Expert) in your industry and offer your knowledge and expertise in online and offline interviews. This could even be achieved with Good PR. If you can bring a fresh view to a topic in your industry or you have a story that's impactful and helpful to your audience. HARO can help with this but it does require time and effort.
  4. Donations or sponsorships. Donate to a well-known charity, sponsor a good cause or sponsor an event. Bonus points if you sponsor a local event as this will get you both a local and high-quality backlink.
Earning backlinks is one of the hardest SEO tasks to do. It is time-consuming and requires a lot of effort which is why most people tend to use a company or freelancer to help with this. Earning backlinks is still one of Google's top 3 search ranking factors. Even though Google has made updates to their algorithms that devalue the weight of lower quality and user-submitted links it is still a key ranking signal in 2021!

Are PBN’s still used? Or is that a hush-hush type of thing?
I wouldn't waste any time with PBN's. Google has pushed a few updates that have devalued the weight of PBN backlinks. I've even seen some websites get manual penalties due to PBN backlinks. It's all about quality over quantity when thinking of backlinks now.

The issue that I noticed when discussing how to get good back links is that it always seems to be focused on blogging. If the OP is looking to get good back links for a plumbing contractor, it’s much harder to do.

Now I know the common thing to say is how a great article should be written dealing with plumbing. But the truth is that’s already been done, 10 million other times, by professional writers. They did it to get viewers to their blog. But the actual plumber who is doing that work doesn’t get any of that juice.

The issue that I noticed when discussing how to get good back links is that it always seems to be focused on blogging. If the OP is looking to get good back links for a plumbing contractor, it’s much harder to do.

Now I know the common thing to say is how a great article should be written dealing with plumbing. But the truth is that’s already been done, 10 million other times, by professional writers. They did it to get viewers to their blog. But the actual plumber who is doing that work doesn’t get any of that juice.
I do agree it's different for every industry and some industries are less "socially" glamourous. I definitely won't be reading any plumbing articles about clogged toilets regardless of how well they are written :). For a lot of service industries, an easier route might be focusing on interviews and sponsorships however you could create a survey asking homeowners if they have ever had a leaking toilet issue and then turn that data into content like "1/3 toilets are leaking in Chicago" and then break it into specific neighbourhoods and tie that back to areas within the city that have had pipes updated or something else similar. It would gain general interest beyond just basic plumbing, if promoted it could also gain contextual backlinks and at the very least gain local backlinks.
The goal of the content wouldn't be for new leads directly from there, the goal would be to gain the website authority from the backlinks and thought leadership from the mentions.

Are PBN’s still used? Or is that a hush-hush type of thing?
Google figured that out a long time ago.

To get decent local backlinks - get the local business to partner with local orgs - charities, government bodies, events, chamber of commerce and their clients, vendor business partners. Keep it local.

To add to studentoflife's question above, how does one know how effective any particular backlink is please? Is there any tool which measures and shows how much traffic comes from that backlink?

Yeah, because I would be cautious to join some chambers of commerce. One local one is only $70 per year which is cheap. But another one is $650 per year yet their website looks like they made it on GeoCities in 1999.

I have no definitive proof on Chamber sites. Years ago I wrote an article on our website "an SEO says Bye Bye to the BBB" as the BBB changed their outbound linking to nofollow instead of dofollow. Aside from the link, you got the logo on your site, which used to be a big deal for certain businesses where their clientele looked for such things, but those days are behind us for the most part too.

The Chamber sites I treat in the same manner. There is an advantage if they link to your site as it's a local organization linking to you. We all know how hard it can be to get local-type links. But, on the other hand, they are very much a "pay to play" type organization.

If you're actively involved in the chamber, then by all means, grab a link. I wouldn't spend $650/year on it though as you could just as easily put $650 into Google Ads or Facebook and should be able to pick up some leads.

We have some clients that have their local chamber, others that don't, there's no heavy weight assigned to the link.

Again, no definitive proof on this, just what I've observed over the past 20 years.

Do Chamber of Commerce links help? I always questioned that since they are links that you purchase.

Is it worth it for me to join the Chambers of Commerce in each of the different towns my business serves?
I think Chamber of Commerce links are still valuable as they are local to your area. I do like to focus more on local chambers vs your overall US Chamber. Most of the time these smaller chambers use URLs like Welcome to the Tampa Bay Chamber which I find are more valuable. Yes, the costs associated with most chambers tend to run between 300-1500 a year so the investment is higher for a local backlink however where we find value in the local events and networking with other small businesses is a bonus. I've had clients meet other businesses at mixers and set up partnerships and community events giving both businesses more exposure and gaining local backlinks between each other's websites.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom