More threads by Mindquest

Reaction score
A competitor "Loma Teletherapy & Counseling" shows up in the map pack for "Chicago teletherapy". Looking at the GBP there is no address, the phone number is for Texas and the "Areas Served" is Texas. The only thing I can see mentioning "Chicago" is the "About" page

After some extensive research I am still not sure how this listing ranks (and highly) for the Chicago term.

Any thoughts?

Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 8.53.11 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 8.53.37 AM.jpg

The owner lives in Chicago.

Thanks for the reply! Where do you think Google is getting the Chicago reference to use to determine that this listing is a Chicago one? I thought NAP and service area would be the factors to drive location? My basic assumption was there had to be something in the GBP to trigger Chicago.

Since it's a SAB, I can't see what address was used to set up and verify the business. My guess is that the address was her Chicago address and it wasn't updated when the business moved or it's a Google glitch where the SAB moves and Google ranks them at the old address or they moved back to Chicago. Rankings are based on the address and not the areas served.

I think I have to correct myself on one point. In the past I think @JoyHawkins or @Colan Nielsen had mentioned that service area did not help to rank in a particular location but only helped show the area outlined in maps.

So NAP would be the main factor as far as I can tell to help location. These are assumptions as this example is a confusing one.

I think I have to correct myself on one point. In the past I think @JoyHawkins or @Colan Nielsen had mentioned that service area did not help to rank in a particular location but only helped show the area outlined in maps.

So NAP would be the main factor as far as I can tell to help location. These are assumptions as this example is a confusing one.

That is correct; Name, Address, and Phone. The address, which is hidden has to be tied to a Chicago address in order to rank in Chicago.

We have been noticing this issue ever since Google corrected the Kansas Bug.
Example 1
Example 2
Example 3.

Hope this helps.

A competitor "Loma Teletherapy & Counseling" shows up in the map pack for "Chicago teletherapy". Looking at the GBP there is no address, the phone number is for Texas and the "Areas Served" is Texas. The only thing I can see mentioning "Chicago" is the "About" page

After some extensive research I am still not sure how this listing ranks (and highly) for the Chicago term.

Any thoughts?

Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 8.53.11 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 8.53.37 AM.jpg

They have very strong (high quality) citations.

Rankings are based on the address and not the areas served.
Yep, exactly. If it ranks in Chicago it's likely due to what Jason said and the address used on the listing was a Chicago address. You can try reporting it via the Redressal Form but I'm not 100% sure if Google will act on it as it's not likely deliberate spam but more a data quality issue.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom