More threads by Justin Mosebach

Justin Mosebach

Administrator
Local Search Expert
LocalU Member
Solutions
Reaction score
When doing keyword research, it's helpful to know which keywords trigger a map pack (a.k.a. local pack, local snack pack, local search pack... whatever you want to call it this week ;)).

Unfortunately, Ahrefs doesn't show if a particular keyword triggers a map pack in the Google SERP.

I saw How to Identify Local SEO Keywords in Bulk - Local University, but in order to crawl Google in bulk (I'm talking 100+ keywords), you'd really need to keep the number of searches minimal, wait for a while, or use a proxy to get around Google's CAPTCHA.

I know this wouldn't tell you if there are any localized organic results in the SERP, but I'd settle for knowing about a map pack on the SERP :)

Anyone know of a tool (obviously free is better) or other method of checking SERPs to see if they're localized?

Solution
@Justin Mosebach, I suppose it depends on your definition of "bulk," and on how many more queries than "100+" we're talking about.

With that throat-clearing out of the way, I'd say you might consider:

@Justin Mosebach, I suppose it depends on your definition of "bulk," and on how many more queries than "100+" we're talking about.

With that throat-clearing out of the way, I'd say you might consider:

Solution
@Justin Mosebach, SEMRUSH's Keyword tracking tool shows any SERP feature on SERP results, including Local Packs. I have found that it is not 100% reliable in identifying SERP features for travel-related queries. Also, it's not a free tool (a free account will allow you to track 10 queries).
I'm also interested in finding an alternative tool.

Screenshot_2020-09-22_at_09_55_29.png

@Lluc Thanks! Yeah, we currently use Ahrefs and like it for a lot of things, but not being able to track map pack or Google Maps rankings, or see what keywords generate a map pack is really disappointing.

@chadkimball I wish I knew of something, but unfortunately, the closest I've got is to look at BrightLocal ranking reports. But that only works if the business is ranking in the top 3 :(

I'm not looking for ranking reports, I'm looking for a tool where I can give it 100 or 1000 keywords and it will tell me for each one, if that keyword triggers a map pack or not

@chadkimball sorry, I meant that if the client ranks in the top 3, it shows "Loc", which means they rank in the local pack on the SERP. Definitely not saying it's ideal... just saying it's the closest thing to a solution that I know of.

1647612691519.png

ahrefs doesnt even detect a local pack, amazingly. if they did it would be the solution for this. Import keyword list into the ahrefs keyword explorer. filter for only keywords that show a local pack, and boom. but no...
1647616481141.jpg

I'm not looking for ranking reports, I'm looking for a tool where I can give it 100 or 1000 keywords and it will tell me for each one, if that keyword triggers a map pack or not

bumping this thread a year later to see if anyone has heard of a tool in the last year that does this?

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom