Reaction score
Both the Groupon and Moz experiment had short time periods of de-indexing. It would be interesting to see what would happen if you de-indexed for a longer period. What kind of recovery would you have?

Experiment: We Removed a Major Website from Google Search, for Science!

The folks at Groupon surprised us earlier this summer when they reported the results of an experiment that showed that up to 60% of direct traffic is organic.

In order to accomplish this, Groupon de-indexed their site, effectively removing themselves from Google search results. That's crazy talk!

Of course, we knew we had to try this ourselves.

We rolled up our sleeves and chose to de-index Followerwonk, both for its consistent Google traffic and its good analytics setup?that way we could properly measure everything. We were also confident we could quickly bring the site back into Google's results, which minimized the business risks.

And if you want to learn more about the reinclusion process you can visit a post by AdinaToma.

Reinclude Your Content in Google in Less Than 4 Hours

For some time, there has been an amazing buzz around the bad neighborhood SEO issue. In the majority of cases, we can point the finger to the shady SEOs who are building the spammy links on purpose. But there are also situations when you work for a SaaS and the platform?s clients don?t really play by the book, generating tons of low quality links that can sink your website when pointing back to it.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Tony Wang Fake Reviews - Completely Unsolicited? Local Reviews 2
Zhanna A business completely disappeared from Google Local Finder Google My Business & Google Maps 3
raellovepie "Complete these tasks to improve your profile and unlock quotes" Google My Business & Google Maps 1
djbaxter The search could not be completed because the keywords were too short, too long, or too common. How To Guides 3
Henry LocalClarity Current value of complete Latitude & Longitude for every location in a chain? Google Local 101 1
OnlineLobstar GMB Insight Showing Completely Irrelevant Search Terms Recycle Bin 0
OnlineLobstar GMB Insight Showing Completely Irrelevant Search Terms NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 8
Linda Buquet Server Move Complete Forum Tech Support 5
D Lapse in listing management service = complete ranking loss forever? Local Search 13
djbaxter GDPR Steps completed (LOG) Admin Stuff 2
d2minc Completely Stumped. Any Onpage SEO Pros willing to take a look? Organic SEO 8
CodyBaird Frequency of Google Reviews & Complete Review Strategy in a Nutshell Local Reviews 7
Dustybones Is It Time To Abandon Desktop Websites and Go Completely Mobile? Mobile & Social 8
Dustybones Complete Guide to Google My Business from Boostability Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Linda Buquet Local Citation Building Strategies - The Complete List Citations 4
Linda Buquet The Complete Guide to Google+ Marketing Google My Business & Google Maps 0
2dogsdesign Completely Frustrated! Help & Support for Google Local 9
K HELP! No impressions, not being located in google maps when search is completed. Help & Support for Google Local 6
Nick.SEOSpark The Complete Guide to Google+ Local Reviews Local Reviews 9
Kel Added a video and the percentage of page completeness dropped. Google My Business & Google Maps 7
C 100% Complete Doesn't Impact Ranking NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 8
Colan Nielsen 100% Complete Doesn't Impact Ranking NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 8
Travis Van Slooten New FREE Citation Tool for Small Business Owners Finally Completed Local SEO Tools & Software 7
G Google+ Local 100% complete Local Search 5
W Remove Listing Google Local 101 0
Collin "Delete this listing" vs "Remove listing" Google Duplicates & Merges 1
NevenaIvanova Removing off-topic reviews posted before the business started operation Local Reviews 8
M Removing old GMB listing from previous owner of premises Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Professor M New Local European Local listing removals Process Google My Business & Google Maps 1
B Removed address to SAB now no longer showing in map pack Service Area Businesses 8
Nicole Basham Cons of Removing Second FB Page Profile/"Extra" Twitter account for Local SAB? Mobile & Social 1
W Is it possible to remove reviews on GMB? Local Reviews 4
Mike Yem Remove 3rd party messaging service All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
djbaxter Google Maps Removed 55M Reviews & 3M Fake Business Profiles Spam on Google 4
S How to remove a GMB from maps of a previous owner who ran 3 businesses from the same address Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Greg Bernhardt Implemented Remove Skype and add Linkedin for profile? Suggestions for the Local Search Forum 2
Niki Gross Tracking Variables Removed After Dec. Update Google My Business & Google Maps 1
djbaxter Mozilla to remove Site Specific Browser (Site as app, PWA-like feature) Mobile & Social 0
Steve Attarian Has anyone had luck removing a Review by a non customer that gave one star because she noticed that the staff didn't wear masks when she walked by? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
B Will Removing Addresses for Multiple State SAB Result in Dup Listing or Suspension? Service Area Businesses 4
K Google & Google Users Removing Items From Service Menu Google My Business & Google Maps 6
H Facebook removing recommendations and ratings Mobile & Social 2
Chris Ratchford Yelp won't remove a review from a rude reviewer Local Reviews 15
Tim Kahlert Google removed post snippet Google Algorithm Discussions 2
jeff_taylor GMB Removes Reviews from Local Pack Local Search 0
W Call Tracking being Removed NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 10
WAHamilton Spam listing reported through Redressal Form and not removed. Next steps? Spam on Google 5
S 1-star review (not by customer) Can this be removed? Local Reviews 9
Rasmus Himmelstrup UTM parameters on the GMB website button keeps getting removed Multi-Location Issues 2
F Best Way to Remove a Practitioner Listing Google Duplicates & Merges 3