More threads by Carselp49

Carselp49

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I've noticed someone using a GMB listing which is in the name of a major keyword. They don't have their business information on their website but I emailed them and they told me their real company name.

To keep things anon, say the keyword is "lorum ipsum UK", their GMB listing is named exactly "lorum ipsum UK".

When I emailed and asked what their actual name is, they have something totally different - "X Y ltd"

Can anything be done about this? They currently rank over the whole UK for this keyword because they have exact matched their listing name.

Thanks in advance!

You can suggest an edit on their profile and change the name to their real business name. You will go to the profile on maps, click Suggest an edit > change name or other details > change the name to their real business name > send

If that doesn't work, you can submit a Business Redressal Complaint Form with Google to alert them of the issue. This is a keyword stuffing issue, which as you mentioned is against Google Business Profile guidelines. It may take a few redressal forms for Google to take action, so if it does not get addressed the first time you can submit the form again. If you can, get a screenshot of their signage on street view to prove the name they are using is not their real business name.

If it is not their real business name and not reflected on the site/web, it should be easier to prove via redressal. We've successfully reported title stuffed spam listings by including screenshots and making it easy to understand how the listing is violating guidelines (and by indicating which ones!).

You could also submit the name change option via the front-end, but I think a lot more comes into play in terms of that being accepted.

Thanks for the replies, this is really great. I've been looking in to it and one thing I'm confused about is their URL. Their URL is actually the exact keyword, so it's "www.lorumipsumuk.com"

As they have this URL and the name of their GMB is the exact same, which is also a keyword, will the redressal form work do you think?

Thanks for the replies, this is really great. I've been looking in to it and one thing I'm confused about is their URL. Their URL is actually the exact keyword, so it's "www.lorumipsumuk.com"

As they have this URL and the name of their GMB is the exact same, which is also a keyword, will the redressal form work do you think?

If you can prove in other ways that what is on their GMB is not their real business name, such as signage outside their business says a different name or they have a different name on their business liscense, then yes a redressal form should work. Make sure to include screenshots if possible, it will help. It may take a few tries though before Google takes action.

here is a helpful guide from Joy Hawkins on spam fighting that may help

@Carselp49, it's mainly a matter of slugging it out with the competitor long-term over "suggest an edit" and maybe the redressal form, as @ElizabethRule and @rgblocal said, but you may also try the following:

1. If the business also has a "X Y Ltd" GMB page, you may be able to get the exact-match one removed as a duplicate page.

2. If the company has a different site - one that reflects the real name of the company - see if you can get the landing page URL changed to that one. If that happens, then your edit on the name is also more likely to stick.

3. In the redressal form cite customers' reviews that mention the real name of the business, if possible.

4. Suggest edits on their non-Google listings, too: Yelp, YP, and maybe sites that are prominent in the industry.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom