pilatesqueen

Reaction score
Hello,

One of my clients has purchased a local business. In the initial agreement my client allowed the old owner to keep GMB listing. But now she wants to purchase the GMB as well.
The listing has about 20 positive reviews and and good position on maps (my client is taking over the location.)
Is it possible to estimate the cost of GMB listing as an asset to offer to the old owner?

Tim Colling

Local Search Expert
LocalU Member
Reaction score
I might be wrong about this, but it seems to me that the GMB listing belongs to Google, and it should be transferred to the new owner of the business. It may be part of the value of the "goodwill" of the business, but the goodwill is something that the buyer purchased.

Note that I don't know what Google would say about this.

Reaction score
Hey there,

I'd echo what Tim has said — the GMB really belongs to Google! It seems there's no value in the past owner having the listing anyway, as the point in a GMB listing is to drive foot traffic/leads/conversions and all that good stuff, which they won't benefit from if they don't own the store, too.

I'd suggest you either A) Appeal for ownership, or B) If, as Rich suggests, you're rebranding the store a lot or making significant changes — create a new listing and then suggest an edit marking the old listing as closed.

I suppose your decision will depend in part how well-optimized and well-performing the original GMB listing is.

Tim Colling

Local Search Expert
LocalU Member
Reaction score
If the business is not being re-branded then this ought to be something that Google can help with in terms of a listing control issue. However, in the current climate, it's hard to know for certain what might happen, with Google in charge. Or, for that matter, how long it might take for Google to do something.

Like so many other things right now, it may be a case of filing the request for ownership and control over the listing, and then waiting. And waiting. And waiting...

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Adam C. Google Cost Per Click Paid Search and Local Service Ads 2
N Cost of Local Service Ads (LSA) Paid Search and Local Service Ads 15
LocalSEODat Thinking of Saving Costs by Not Leasing 2 Local Offices in Vancouver & Toronto for Shared Office Space Google My Business & Google Maps 9
Peter Hill Express Update cost Citations 7
L Is Yext worth the cost?? Citations 7
JoshuaMackens Flat Fee vs Cost Per Lead Consultant's Corner 14
Linda Buquet Terrible Fake Trump Business Reviews could cost the #Trump Empire $100 Million. SAD! Local Reviews 2
Tim Sweeney Adwords Price Extensions - Show How Much Services And Products Cost Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
Linda Buquet Discover Cost of Local SEO Campaigns PLUS Analysis of 300K Local SERPs Local Search 6
Linda Buquet Good SEO: How Much Does it Cost? What are the Pricing Models? via The Next Web Consultant's Corner 1
C Home Office Address - Low Cost Alternatives to using a PO Box Address Service Area Businesses 6
C Home Office Address - Low Cost Alternatives to using a PO Box Address Service Area Businesses 6
C Renting Multiple Low-Cost Office Locations or Mailing Addresses for Local SEO? Google My Business & Google Maps 8
carltonrsmith Has anyone ever worked out a cost-per-lead structure with a local client? Consultant's Corner 5
L Local Search Pros: Costs for Local Videos? Consultant's Corner 6
M Yelp just cost me a client Local Search 14
Chris_Gregory How much does cheap SEO really cost? Consultant's Corner 0
J How using Google Images can cost you $8,000 Marketing 3
Chris Ratchford Google Ads- Local Pack- one GMB location only? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
hannahmoen "Work" Replacing Business Name on GMB for Business Owner Help & Support for Google Local 3
rich_marlatt Sharing Medical Patient UGC on GMB Post Google My Business & Google Maps 1
H Seems like someone is trying to Steal my clients GMB Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Annika Neudecker Should you use more than 5 GMB categories? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
Hammer GMB listing, can't find out who owns or request access All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 5
M Some questions with GMB and multiple locations Multi-Location Issues 1
Professor M Is this new on GMB? Slideshow showing on the About section - Overview Google My Business & Google Maps 2
D A client has 3 verified GMB's across 2 states,with service pages for each location. Should service pages have only their respective locations address? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
rich_marlatt What is the GMB best practice for moving offices? All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
djbaxter Webinar GMB Best Practices for Multi-Location Sites: Live Webinar April 14, 2021 Events 0
WilliamA Free Chrome browser extension for GMB Categories. NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 9
J Getting Rid of Incorrect Highlights in GMB mobile listing ( highlights you can't update on back end ) Google My Business & Google Maps 1
RobertCarnitas Google Posts Live on GMB, But Not Showing in GMB Dashboard Google My Business & Google Maps 1
abbiebeltran GMB Verification Postcard Update - What Does 2021 Postcard Look Like? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
NexstarNickR Google Star Rating: LSA vs. GMB All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
N What category should be selected for such business in GMB? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
T GMB Getting suspended after verification. Help & Support for Google Local 6
greenworld_ Adding a new location extension for a separate GMB listing Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
M Removing old GMB listing from previous owner of premises Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Greg Bernhardt Attribution for product clicks in GMB panel Google My Business & Google Maps 1
1 GMB Listing Disabled after updating address... Google My Business & Google Maps 12
BrentCarnduff GMB account suspended - why? Help & Support for Google Local 1
TriciaClements 3 Businesses - how to handle GMB listings for SAB? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
NevenaIvanova Additional Phone Number in GMB dashboard Google My Business & Google Maps 1
rayrober GMB Messaging does not turn on Help & Support for Google Local 2
BenFisher PSA: GMB Not Showing Address Form on Verification - BUG Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Kevin Marshall Thoughts On Wix and GMB Announcement Websites, Software, and Security 2
Rich Owings GMB products with UTM tracking not showing in GSC Help & Support for Google Local 1
Vincent_Bakker Can't control GMB because primary owner died Google My Business & Google Maps 5
S 2 GMB Suspended for Two Different Owners Multi-Location Issues 4
J Reporting unethical GMB practices Google My Business & Google Maps 2