Lloyd Silver

Reaction score
I have a company with an existing Google+ page. The company markets across the country. It's not an online company. It's a service business with customers around the country and it does meet with customers face to face although it only has one physical location.

That one physical location obviously markets the services to customers around their geographic location as well.

So it's one company, one physical location, that markets nationally as well as locally.

Is it okay to create a GMB page for this business? If so, I presume it would be okay to display the address and also select a service area since customers are seen in their own businesses as well as at the company's location? And if a service area, I presume I should limit it to just this immediate geographic area and not do anything like listing the entire state or even larger geographic areas.

Thanks.

Lloyd Silver

Reaction score
Thanks Phil. Linda's got me scared to make a mistake in GMB at this point : )

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Sorry Lloyd, didn't mean to put the fear of GMB in ya! :p

I agree with Phil and you are totally fine on all counts. Not sure what I said that made you worried about this one. But as long as they have a physical location and see customers locally there, they can have a page.

But there is really no point that I can see in setting a service area and it introduces a new wrinkle. Plus they can't really set it up for the whole us or even state and setting it up for 20 mile radius would not be accurate. I would only use service area settings if the company does not see customers at their location.

Well actually, maybe I should ask. What type of business?

Lloyd Silver

Reaction score
Oh, just more careful than before when it comes to Google properties. It's a b2b insurance agency with about 80 percent of the business out of the area.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Thanks Lloyd.

Then I would not set up a service area. Not if they have a commercial office they see clients at.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
AdvoAd How to best handle 10+ locations on website Websites, Software, and Security 4
Hammer How would you handle this? All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 1
K I Need Guidance on How to Handle a Law Practice Buyout & Existing GMB Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Mmclean07 How to handle 2 offices at same address? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Oliver Keates How to change the IG handle on Google knowledge Panel? Google My Business & Google Maps 14
MonicaH SAB moving from primary target location to non-target location - best way to handle GMB? Moving or Name Changes 4
D Off Topic How Do You Handle Businesses That Have No Business Address? Recycle Bin 1
Rich Owings SAB with hidden address moving their office - How to handle in GMB? Service Area Businesses 5
MKubot How do you handle spam on BING? Spam on Google 5
Travis Van Slooten How Would You Handle "2 Locations" For a Service Business? Local Search 4
G What's the best way for my business to handle a change of address? Local Search 8
C Difference In How 'Suggest An Edit' Is Handled? Google Local 101 2
Brian Bender How Do You Handle Quotes/Proposals? Consultant's Corner 19
L Portal provides unique phone number for call analytics, how to handle this with NAP ? Local Search 4
PaulSteinbrueck How to handle 2 similar businesses operating at the same location? Google My Business & Google Maps 15
Les Zeppelin How would you handle this tricky situation? Local Search 7
Travis Van Slooten How To Handle Dental Practice Closing One Office Help & Support for Google Local 9
J Handling of Duplicates Google Duplicates & Merges 5
JoshuaMackens Handling of Duplicates Google Duplicates & Merges 5
J All-In-One solutions? Software to optimise & handle many Local SEO clients Local SEO Tools & Software 3
B How would you handle this mess? Local Search 5
C How best to handle these Google listings for a single location local business? Help & Support for Google Local 15
S How to Handle Seasonal Hours? Local Search 2
RR415 How does Google handle street name abbreviations? Local Search 4
R How Many Clients/How Much Business to Handle Consultant's Corner 9
Linda Buquet Client Moved - Duplicate Citations - How to Handle with Moz Local? Citations 1
R how would you handle a dentist practice sold to a new owner Help & Support for Google Local 6
L For people handling country TLD domains (or .com owners targeting a specific country) Organic SEO 0
T how to handle a duplicate G+ listing that keeps ranking Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Linda Buquet Handy Twitter Handles for Local Citation Sources Citations 5
freerunr How to handle shared office spaces Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Travis Van Slooten Business Name Change - How To Handle Their Google+ Local Page? Google My Business & Google Maps 16
Tyson Downs Best Way to Handle this? 2 Docs 1 Website Google My Business & Google Maps 2
A Best way to handle negative reviews left by competitor? Local Reviews 13
David Deering How would you handle this?..... Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Linda Buquet Guide to Handling Ranking Drops and Google Algo Changes with Clients Consultant's Corner 0
Travis Van Slooten How Do You Handle Businesses That Have No Business Address? Local Search 16
M How to handle a 10 doctor office? Local Search 4
Tim Colling Should you *delete* your GMB listing if you're a "national" business? Google My Business & Google Maps 16
D Reviews for GMB NATIONAL Rankings Local Reviews 6
E Siloing multiple locations (nationally) Local Search 1
T Advice on National Brands Local Search 12
A Business with national focus - Do I need Google+ Local or not? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Colan Nielsen National and ecommerce SEO Stats Organic SEO 1
T Local SEO, National Website, Ranking for Multiple Keywords Consultant's Corner 1
Dustybones Hyper-Local For National Brands Local Search 0
G How can national seo negatively impact local seo Local Search 3
G New Business local seo or national? Local Search 7
D National Chain - Wants to rank for local services (mostly non-Venice) Local Search 0
A Ranking Locally and Nationally with an 800 phone number Help & Support for Google Local 10