PaulJBis

Reaction score
Hello:

New poster here, please be gentle :). I have a client who recently created a local Google Business profile on his own. He added his home as a physical address and added the entire country as a service area (it's a freight shipping business). Now he has the typical problem: when searching for his business name, the Google search result shows his home Street View picture.

I have been searching around, and it looks like the best choice would be to reclassify his business as a Service Area Business (although he covers the entire country, in practice his primary market will be the regions closest to his home base). The problem is that I'm not exactly sure how to do it, since currently the Google Business UI doesn't have a way to "hide" the address that we have entered (I understand that there used to be a checkbox for that). Some posts I've seen say that we should just delete the address we have entered, but I am concerned that this might affect our search results (since they depend on the address and not on the service area). I should mention, BTW: the address has recently got verified via postcard.

I have searched in this forum, and haven't found any specifics about this particular case. Should I just delete the address we entered then?

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
@PaulJBis, yes, the only way to prevent your client's address from showing is to remove the address from the GMB page. As of 2018, there's no longer a "hide address" box in GMB. (There still is on many local directories, though.)

That won't affect your rankings much or at all. Sometimes businesses with hidden addresses seem less likely to rank for very location-sensitive, "near me"-type search terms. But those would not matter at all to a freight business, like your client's.

PaulJBis

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the answer. My understanding is that, since our address was verified, Google still has it even if we delete it from our page, and it will take it into account in search results. Is that the case?

Rich Owings

Local Search Expert
LocalU Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the answer. My understanding is that, since our address was verified, Google still has it even if we delete it from our page, and it will take it into account in search results. Is that the case?
Yes, it will still impact where you rank. Also, I believe there have been reports of suspended listings when you remove the address, so be prepared for having to file a reinstatement request.

UKSBD

Reaction score
Google don't seem to realise that some people who provide mobile services in a particular area don't always live or have an office near that area. :(

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
@PaulJBis, what @Rich Owings and @UKSBD said. Yes, Google still will know your address, and will still take it into account when deciding where you rank, just because the Maps results are always at least somewhat location-sensitive.

Also, yes, removing the street address may trigger re-verification.

PaulJBis

Reaction score
Yes, it will still impact where you rank. Also, I believe there have been reports of suspended listings when you remove the address, so be prepared for having to file a reinstatement request.

Ugh. Well, I'll consult with my client and see what we do.

Am I wrong, or service areas actually don't impact the search results at all? (At least that the conclusion I've gotten after reading this forum). I wonder why Google added them in the first place... unless they are planning to take them into account in the future.

UKSBD

Reaction score
I did some experimenting years ago
Business listings had an lrd number
example = lrd=0x4870d5467cdf4f29:0xb2cd4994ffafcb82

the number after the 2nd 0x ( b2cd4994ffafcb82 ) in this example is the HEX of your Google CID number (effectively identifying the business)

It was a bit of a mystery what the number after the 1st 0x was ( the 4870d5467cdf4f29 in this example)

Some of my listings had exactly the same 1st number, I checked other local business and all started with 4870d a few miles away it would change to 4870c

My conclusion was that the 1st number related to where you initially set your location and it didn't matter if the business moved, that number always stayed the same

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Don Archer Google business listing with 482 Real Review Missing. How do I get them back? Help & Support for Google Local 1
hannahmoen "Work" Replacing Business Name on GMB for Business Owner Help & Support for Google Local 3
Jeffrey Taylor Adding a new category to Google my Business Google My Business & Google Maps 4
BekahBerry Multiple service providers with separate books of business, sharing one office, under one company name - What is the best approach to avoid filtering? Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 8
koji Local business with online nationwide services in a post-corona world Google Local 101 5
RobbertKleijwegt Q&A vanished after adding Products to business profile Google My Business & Google Maps 5
djbaxter Google My Business Bug Dropping SAB Businesses In Independence, Kansas Service Area Businesses 1
rickvidallon How Do You Access The Buttons In Google My Business For Online Services? Local Search 4
NevenaIvanova Removing off-topic reviews posted before the business started operation Local Reviews 8
N What category should be selected for such business in GMB? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
JoyHawkins Get Live Inventory Displayed on Your Google My Business Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Niki Business category does not support more hours Help & Support for Google Local 3
TriciaClements 3 Businesses - how to handle GMB listings for SAB? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Matt Chauhan Opinion on entering service areas within the GMB dashboard for Brick and Mortar Businesses NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
krystaltaing Google My Business Bulk Verification Limit Reached? Multi-Location Issues 0
RobertCarnitas GMB Spam for 'Located In' business - Does it affect the GMB listing for the business that is located inside it? Spam on Google 3
D Local Services and Google my Business Paid Search and Local Service Ads 2
Rich Owings Google community challenge to update 100,000 businesses Google My Business & Google Maps 0
R What steps should I take to get my suspended and denied Google My business approved? Help & Support for Google Local 1
Jac Google My business Photos - Uploaded but not reflecting on contribution page Google My Business & Google Maps 3
AndySimpson Google My Business Opening Date - What Date Should You Use? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Jason_Parks1 Years in Business (Misleading) - Thoughts? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Matt Chauhan How to deal with a business merger? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
dateinadash SAB location no longer appears next to my business Service Area Businesses 1
NevenaIvanova Need help with business detail update of a Chinese business Local Search 3
S Old Listing Hijacked by another business Spam on Google 2
djbaxter Google Maps Removed 55M Reviews & 3M Fake Business Profiles Spam on Google 4
L Does selecting a service area for hidden address business have negative effects? Moving or Name Changes 1
E Issues with managing business pages on Facebook Citations 3
S How to remove a GMB from maps of a previous owner who ran 3 businesses from the same address Google My Business & Google Maps 6
buzzrank Home inspector business category not available in Canada, but local competitors have NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
C Fake google reviews on google my business Contact Us Messages 2
K GMB Adding Old Business Name & Putting True Name in Parathesis Only In English Browser Google My Business & Google Maps 1
U Google showing location of Service Area Business Service Area Businesses 2
Lluc Google launches Years in Business in Search Google My Business & Google Maps 3
FriarTuck00 Best Practice for a Business that is Still Operational but Everyone Works Remotely? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
lincolnchan What to do when one business acquires another and moves into their location? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Stef Kiley Temp closed business ranking higher in local pack Help & Support for Google Local 2
NickB-Tampa How can I unsync Google My Business from my Bing Places listings? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
F Turkish post: Google My Business local seo Recycle Bin 0
Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR Two Different Business Places at the Same Address: Should I Add Them to GMB? Local Search 1
DangGood Google Maps, Years in Business Google My Business & Google Maps 4
F Google My Business local seo Google Local 101 3
D Should I Bother Updating NAP on Business Listings and 3rd Party Sites? Citations 7
N 54 city pages for small business website Local Search 7
jpayne7 Business Moved Before GMB Verification (Postcard is Being Sent to Old Location) Moving or Name Changes 7
Hammer Can't enter verification code due to error "To verify your listing, update your business info" All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 3
micromano Will changing a business name in GMB cause reviews to be lost? Moving or Name Changes 3
M Can I Use Google Voice for Google My Business Phone Number? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
A Google My Business Provider Program API Access İssues Recycle Bin 0