JasonKhoo

Reaction score
Just wanted to share something that I stumbled upon.

I figured out we had a competitor who has 5 locations and they named their site "pediatric dentistry & orthodontics". Then for their Google local listings they added the city name of each location to the front for each Google listing.

So for example, all their local pages look like

[city 1] pediatric dentistry & orthodontics
[city 2] pediatric dentistry & orthodontics

Their website however is titled and branded with no city name, just the title pediatric dentistry & orthodontics.

I was particularly annoyed by this because they were trying to rank in one of my clients cities and I thought of this as a particularly annoying way to game the "keyword in listing title issue".

Well I reported it and I got the listing to be edited so that the city name was removed from the listing. Now they only did it for the city I was concerned about. They didn't do it for the other 5 locations.

I sent another request asking them what to do about the other 5, waiting to hear back.

Here's the actual Google My Business thread I posted:
Solved: Business Listing with Fake Name and Fake Address in Our City - The Google Advertiser Community - 1806133

But I thought it was an interesting case that I wanted to share with everyone.

JasonKhoo

Reaction score
I was new to this type of strategy but I'm really glad that Google blocks this type of stuff. Thanks Phil for editing those, I will continue to monitor and let you know if I see them doing it again (which I'm sure they will).

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
djbaxter Interesting graphic on reach of social networks Mobile & Social 1
Zdenek Horak Interesting review: the owner sends an email and offers money Local Reviews 5
Blake Denman Interesting featured snippet above map pack Local Search 3
JoshuaMackens Interesting Client Drop - Google Maps Local Search 7
L Interesting Suspension Issue Local Search 3
H Plumber Near Me - Google trends interesting Local Search 1
rutkap Got an interesting "Wal-Mart" scenario Help & Support for Google Local 3
axeonlineblog Hi I'm Axe Colver, Interested in SEO Introduce Yourself - We're Friendly 5
Rich Owings Interesting BBB stats Ranking Puzzles 5
Rich Owings Conflicts of interest for agency focusing on projects (and not on monthly clients) Consultant's Corner 5
freerunr Interesting Things in Local Finder: Question Mark and "Write a Review" Google News: Important Changes & Features 2
JoyHawkins "Interesting Finds" on Mobile Searches Google News: Important Changes & Features 6
Tim Colling "Correcting" categories - interesting corner case NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 7
T Interesting study of Google clustering results in Local Packs Local Search 1
mborgelt Interesting Google Local Study Based on Over 100,000 URLs Google My Business & Google Maps 2
pbarnhart "Explore" feature in new Google maps makes some interesting recommendations Google My Business & Google Maps 1
MarketingGiant New Local Tour / Points of Interest SERP Local Search 1
J Incorrect City for Google Points of Interest Carousel Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Dustybones 7 Hyperlocal Strategies You Can Take To Keep Readers Interested Local Search 2
Margaret Ornsby Here's an interesting view of the algo... Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Linda Buquet 4 New Pigeon Posts with Some Very Interesting Takeaways Google My Business & Google Maps 0
L Creating Sticky Interesting Content for Boring SMBs Local Content 0
Linda Buquet Creating Sticky Interesting Content for Boring SMBs Local Content 0
A Sex crime lawyer tampa - Interesting results Ranking Puzzles 4
Andrew Polanski Sex crime lawyer tampa - Interesting results Ranking Puzzles 4
JoshuaMackens Interesting Case Study - See If You Can Figure It Out Help & Support for Google Local 8
Chris McCreery Conflict of Interest Consultant's Corner 13
Phil Rozek Interesting paid Q&A site - Tuteable.com Consultant's Corner 0
M Interesting...Typing In Dentist + City in Local Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Linda Buquet Interesting Google+ Local Penalty? Dropped out of Pack, but Still High in Maps? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
G Interesting Problem with Verifying a G+Business Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Linda Buquet Interesting Double Page 1 Google Local Ranking Local Search 3
Linda Buquet Research Shows Under-cover Google Employees are "Top Reviewers" - Interesting Local Reviews 0
H Interesting Search Results Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Z Interesting SERP Google My Business & Google Maps 6
T Google No Longer Deletes Duplicates...Hmmmmm...That's Interesting Google Duplicates & Merges 7
Travis Van Slooten Google No Longer Deletes Duplicates...Hmmmmm...That's Interesting Google Duplicates & Merges 7
C Google Reviews Posting / Not Posting - Interesting Find Help & Support for Google Local 11
m_j_gregory Interesting Shot - Places Dashboard Local Search 14
Claire Carlile Hotel ads 🏨 sneaking into the business profile 💰 Paid Search and Local Service Ads 7
Linda Buquet Sneak Peek at Local Search Ranking Factors 2014 from Deconstructing Pigeon #SMX Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Linda Buquet New Google Local Spam Patent Gives Sneak Peek at What's Coming Google My Business & Google Maps 2
D Client's Competition Keeps Trying to Take His Listing Spam on Google 2
J Trying to figure out correct address format for GMB profile Moving or Name Changes 4
S Trying To Gain Ownership of Listings Google My Business & Google Maps 3
coachmarino Company trying to sell client back their own GMB? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
A Help Client gets "Invitation failed (Role not allowed)" when trying to add Organization ID Help & Support for Google Local 6
K GMB Server Errors when trying to report a duplicate Google My Business & Google Maps 2
K Help, False Listings, I've tried everything to remove them! It's bankrupting me! Google My Business & Google Maps 1
A SAB trying to rank 1 specific service Local Search 3