More threads by mktgabor

mktgabor

Reaction score
Hello! I've been managing about 150 listings for a few years now and recently I've been having much more of a difficult time getting new listings verified and even having some existing listings require re-verification. I work for a large health system, so we have IT assets potentially at our disposal, if we can make a business case for a solution. My question is: would the Google API make it so that creating new listings and updating/managing existing listings would actually work without the need for jumping through hoops, business video verifications, etc.? Also, we have a small firm that handles review replies/reputation management, so any insight into how/if that could incorporate into this would be much appreciated. Also, if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears. One major issue that we encounter is our employed physicians -- we have multiple doctors that work in the same office, in buildings that we don't own/manage, where cell/wifi reception isn't always available, so the business videos often lead to failure. Thank you, in advance, local search forum gurus!! Respectfully, Gabor

This is an interesting question. BrightLocal, @whitespark, and Yext all use the API in some fashion for creation and maintenance of GBP and Map Listings. I've never used any of them for GBP, we handle that manually for our clients. But if Darren from Whitespark or @Jenny_BrightLocal would be kind enough to provide their feedback how verification works when the API is involved with the creation of a new GBP it would be very helpful. I'm assuming that the same verification process would be required even when using the API.

Hello! I've been managing about 150 listings for a few years now and recently I've been having much more of a difficult time getting new listings verified and even having some existing listings require re-verification. I work for a large health system, so we have IT assets potentially at our disposal, if we can make a business case for a solution. My question is: would the Google API make it so that creating new listings and updating/managing existing listings would actually work without the need for jumping through hoops, business video verifications, etc.? Also, we have a small firm that handles review replies/reputation management, so any insight into how/if that could incorporate into this would be much appreciated. Also, if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears. One major issue that we encounter is our employed physicians -- we have multiple doctors that work in the same office, in buildings that we don't own/manage, where cell/wifi reception isn't always available, so the business videos often lead to failure. Thank you, in advance, local search forum gurus!! Respectfully, Gabor

No, the API won't help you at all.

Hi there, and thanks for tagging me in Jeff.

For all new Google Business Profile listings, you'll need to verify these yourself as the API doesn't include this in its features.

Also, we have a small firm that handles review replies/reputation management, so any insight into how/if that could incorporate into this would be much appreciated. Also, if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears.

However, BrightLocal can help with location management, whether that's updating listing information and posting GBP updates, or review replies/management which I know you mentioned.

Hope that helps, thanks!

api does not offer video verification as a verification method, so using the API seemingly would not result in needing to verify via video... if that is a pain point.

current api verification methods - VerificationMethod | Google Business Profile APIs | Google for Developers

also, you could implement solutions via API to check for verification status updates, which may make it more manageable as you could setup verification change notifications vs. manually checking verification statuses. however, for 150 locations, you would need to assess if the dev costs to implement the api, make ongoing updates as google makes changes, maintenance, etc. make sense for you use case.

regardless of API vs manual, you cannot stop google from prompting re-verification.

api does not offer video verification as a verification method, so using the API seemingly would not result in needing to verify via video... if that is a pain point.

current api verification methods - VerificationMethod | Google Business Profile APIs | Google for Developers

also, you could implement solutions via API to check for verification status updates, which may make it more manageable as you could setup verification change notifications vs. manually checking verification statuses. however, for 150 locations, you would need to assess if the dev costs to implement the api, make ongoing updates as google makes changes, maintenance, etc. make sense for you use case.

regardless of API vs manual, you cannot stop google from prompting re-verification.

Thanks, @DClark. Any clue on whether you can pick which verification method in each individual case, or is it still an automatic process? I had a listing go unverified and our uploaded business video was rejected. Contacted support and they offered us a live business video, but I'm not optimistic that will work, as there isn't cell reception between ground floor and the business suite location. I replied back to support asking if they could send a postcard and they declined, saying that we had to do the live business video. We will be trying it next Tuesday.

FYI - There are some mentions of instant verification when the business website is registered with Google Search Console. Verify your business on Google - Google Business Profile Help

Instant verification methods​

Rarely, we can immediately confirm that a specific Google Account owns a specific Business Profile.
For example:
  • If you verify your website with Google Search Console, your profile might get instant verification. Learn how to add a website property in Search Console.
    • Existing Search Console user: If you verify your matching website before you add or claim your profile, no “Get verified” prompt shows. You can immediately edit your profile and connect with customers.
    • New Search Console user: If you verify your matching website after you add or claim your profile, click Get verified. Then, you can instantly edit your profile and connect with customers.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Live Webinar - Local SEO Audits

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom