Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
I'll be honest and say I'm not quite sure what I'm seeing here and I'm going to throw out some ideas. Hoping techy types smarter than me will weigh in and maybe Mike will even stop by. He likely would know if my suspicion is right.

Helped a guy awhile back at the Google forum. It's been bugging me ever since and I decided to share what I'm seeing to see if anyone can make sense of this.

If it's what I think, then it COULD POSSIBLY help account for: the attack of the one-boxes and all the Hummingbird guano and the old buried spam that's recently risen from the dead.

A search for the company name Vius, yields a pure organic listing because Google is not sure which Vius you are looking for.

Pure Organic SERP

Vius1.jpg

Add city to name to get local branded one-box

Vius2.jpg

Those results are for the same domain/page. The top listing is still pure organic, as is the top screen shot, but the title tag changes to full site title tag and the site links are added.

However BELOW the organic listing check out a 2nd listing - a branded one-box. One-boxes normally blend the organic and maps listing. But the organic part of the 2nd listing is different. The description is different than the organic ones are and instead it warns about an infected plug in. But that's not pulling from the Place page because that plugin is on the site. The name also changes to all caps which is the way it is on the Place page. And that's what happens with blended results, but in this case there is still that separate organic result that didn't blend.

So there you can clearly see 2 different search results for the exact same URL.

What's interesting too is that normally for a brand search you are not able to see 2 separate listings like that. Normally the organic and local listing merge together into one.

Here is the post at the Google forum: Google Groups

The owner of Vius said he cleaned up that plug in and is wondering when the index will update. Then he said: "This particular result is obviously being compiled from a different index than the straight organic index."

So I'm not totally sure what's up. But I think this clearly shows 2 separate indexes. And the 2nd listing is essentially coming from an older index.

So I guess I'm wondering if this separate index for his one-box, sheds any light on all these crappy one-boxes that Mike suspects Hummingbird is pulling out of some old index somewhere.

So what do you guys think? Does this anomaly shine a light on anything? Or is it just a fluke due to the bad plugin that the listings separated, didn't blend right and show up like this?

Vius1.jpg

Vius2.jpg

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S How to add a 2nd physical adress? Multi-Location Issues 1
MichaelW Duplicate listing, 2nd office, old address citations, Any Help? Help & Support for Google Local 11
M 2nd Address Change - Abandon And Re-start Or Go For It?? Local Search 1
M Adding 2nd location Multi-Location Issues 2
M Adding 2nd location Multi-Location Issues 2
M Ranking 2nd office... Help & Support for Google Local 4
mattramos Anybody else see a big decrease in views on July 2nd? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
M Which phone number for 2nd business at same address? Local Search 8
C Can you have a 2nd user/admin for google local? Help & Support for Google Local 15
T Client's listing goes from spot 3 for local results to 2nd page Help & Support for Google Local 14
T Separate GMB listings for head office/factory and factory/showroom Multi-Location Issues 3
melinaedealer Separate Department Listing Issues Multi-Location Issues 2
stevedimatteo Separate Businesses at Same Mailing Address Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Rich Owings B&B considering separate GMB listing for restaurant Google My Business & Google Maps 9
Dan Foland What are your thoughts on separate blogs throughout a website? Organic SEO 8
B 2 Separate Businesses, Separate Addresses, Same Phone Number Local Search 6
Ellen Separate Addresses for Car Dealership and its Service Department Google My Business & Google Maps 8
K "Suite B" for single location that's two separate businesses? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 6
K "Suite B" for single location that's two separate businesses? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 6
C Ranking Puzzle: Discovered a listing that ranks for two separate domains Ranking Puzzles 3
C Ranking Puzzle: Discovered a listing that ranks for two separate domains Ranking Puzzles 3
A Using a variation of an address for a separate 7-pack listing? Local Search 3
Rich Owings Duplicate pages under separate email account Help & Support for Google Local 24
Adam Steele One business with two different services. Market separately? Local Search 1
Scott Rawlins Separate Businesses Using Same Address, Different Site and # Google My Business & Google Maps 4
K Threaded Post to my previous Here? or Separate section of forum ? Help & Support for Google Local 2
S Should Franchisees with the same phone numbers have separate listings? Help & Support for Google Local 5
m_j_gregory Merging Google+ Business Page and Google+ Local Listing (via separate accounts) Help & Support for Google Local 25
cleverlyengaged Advice on Landmarks/POI/Unclaimed Google Map Locations? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
R What steps should I take to get my suspended and denied Google My business approved? Help & Support for Google Local 0
Jac Google My business Photos - Uploaded but not reflecting on contribution page Google My Business & Google Maps 1
AndySimpson Google My Business Opening Date - What Date Should You Use? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Lanerizz Google Analytics 4 Organic SEO 1
M Google Local Services Ads - Lack of Leads Paid Search and Local Service Ads 14
rustybrick Google Local ranking update? Google Algorithm Discussions 11
harmony How Does Google Choose Service Options in a Review? Local Reviews 6
abbiebeltran Google Reviews Now Have 'Service-Testimonial-Tags' at the Top Local Reviews 1
Tim Colling I'm getting calls from "Google Maps" at 650-206-5555, asking about clients' hours - are they legit? Google My Business & Google Maps 14
JoshuaMackens Google Posts & Ranking Local Search 10
A Listing suspended due to account manager spamming? Google advise to create new GMB Local Search 13
djbaxter Webinar Get together with Google Search at Search Central Live - February 23, 2021 Events 0
djbaxter Google Maps Removed 55M Reviews & 3M Fake Business Profiles Spam on Google 2
Professor M Google slapped in France over misleading hotel star ratings Google News: Important Changes & Features 0
D Google Spam Fighting Question Google My Business & Google Maps 6
C Fake google reviews on google my business Contact Us Messages 2
U Google showing location of Service Area Business Service Area Businesses 2
Lluc Google launches Years in Business in Search Google My Business & Google Maps 3
PaulSteinbrueck Average Google rating no longer in Google Knowledge Panel? Local Reviews 8
Professor M Is Google thinking of adding payment capabilities to GMB listings/website? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
NickB-Tampa How can I unsync Google My Business from my Bing Places listings? Google My Business & Google Maps 4