More threads by Nikki Stine

Reaction score
I found a GBP in my client's niche that is clearly a lead generating site and therefore does not qualify for a business listing. I plan to fill out the redressal form, but wanted to get opinions on whether I have enough information for a case, or if there's an area I should dig deeper. Are these findings all relevant?
  • All reviews are from the past 3 weeks; all reviewer profiles are marked private so you can't see their other reviews; and all but one of them only have 2 reviews to their account
  • I scanned the listing with the Transparency for Chrome extension (from The Transparency Company) and it came back suspicious (for some of the same reasons listed above)
  • On our state business registration site, there is no business by this name registered in our state
  • Their 'service area' page lists local landmarks and they don't match the city they are advertising service in. Our city is in Illinois, and the landmarks (when I Googled them) appear to be in Texas. The service areas listed are not in our area either. I'm guessing this is an oversight as this page was probably copied.
  • The gallery page of their work is all stock photos - I actually recognize some of them from stock photo sites
  • The website is only 2 months old
  • I'm not sure the address is legit - it's in a shopping complex, but I don't think it's an actual suite number (I'd probably drive by to verify before stating this one) and they definitely do not have a store front
Thanks for any input. I want to do this right because it's clearly a spam listing.

Solution
I'd also give them a call and see how they answer the phone. If they are a lead generation business and they are trying to hide something they will likely answer differently than what's listed on Google. When you submit the redressal form you can let Google know that they answered the phone with a different name
I'd also give them a call and see how they answer the phone. If they are a lead generation business and they are trying to hide something they will likely answer differently than what's listed on Google. When you submit the redressal form you can let Google know that they answered the phone with a different name

Solution

Wow! You're right, I just called and the recorded answer had a different name. Thanks.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom