JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
I was curious to know from you who have worked in the local SEO space for awhile, how often you get a client who has a manual penalty with Google (not because of your efforts but shady companies they worked with in the past)?

I am finding currently they are managing to rank in Google Places even with a penalty but they have 0 organic ranking.

I was curious to see what the rest of you have found.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Hi Joy, Great Q!

So are you saying they have an organic penalty but rank in Places?

Where do they rank? Because usually the top 2 -4 in the pack are based on organic ranking order, but the lower ones are pure maps results, so the site does not matter.

To answer your Q I don't think I have 1st hand with organic penalty. Most of the cases I troubleshoot are the opposite. They rank in organic but not in the pack.

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
Linda,

Great point. They have several locations and rank for most of them but the highest is a 4 (so D). So you think they probably have no shot of getting in the top 3 with the penalty?

Have you found with the new SERPS not showing any organic features (like the author photo) are still relying heavily on organic SEO ranking factors? I haven't noticed any change.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Not sure, running out door.

Just emailed you my friend that deals with organic penalties.

whitespark

LocalU Faculty
Reaction score
I'm certain that they're still incorporating organic factors into the packs. Mike Blumenthal is writing up his thoughts and will publish soon. We'll be releasing a tool to analyze the pack as well.

So, yes, I doubt they have a chance of moving higher in the local rankings. I did a link cleanup job for a client and got his manual penalty lifted, but after months of additional work, I still haven't been able to get him ranked higher. It's like the penalty is still haunting him. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
First, it should be noted there is a difference between a manual penalty and an algorithm penalty, such as penguin or panda. You probably already knew this but just in case, there it is.

If they do have a manual penalty, you would have gotten a notification through Google Webmaster Tools (GWT) and it would also be listed in GWT under manual actions.

In any penalty I have seen (algorithmic or manual) the client will still maintain their ranking in local results. However, in the universal (or what everyone else calls organic) they will plummet.

Manual penalties, in my opinion, are much better to have as you have communication as to why you're under a manual penalty, if you've come out of it (they'll tell you when they lift it) and there's a much shorter turn around time.

If it's algorithmic, that sucks. It won't recover until the next update which updates seem to be anywhere from 4-7 months apart.

The solution for both types of penalties is the same, clean up links, which is normally what penalties revolve around these days.

Hope that helps.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
djbaxter Link Penalty Manual Action Can Remove Rich Snippets Organic SEO 2
timcapper Manual Penalties and Google Business Support on Suspended Listings Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Y Manual Penalty for Organic, but why is GA flatlining for all other traffic? Organic SEO 11
JoyHawkins Google sent out over 4.3 Million Manual Penalties in 2015 Organic SEO 3
James Watt Wave of manual penalties for outbound linking. Organic SEO 7
JoyHawkins Can You Rank in the 3-Pack with a Manual or Penguin Penalty? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Eric Rohrback A Great Story about a Manual Penalty - How would you fix it? Marketing 6
Dustybones Learning From The Manual Action Penalty Placed On Thumbtack Organic SEO 5
Linda Buquet Manual Google Penalties - How Long Do they Last? Expiration Times? Organic SEO 2
D Have your local clients been hit by manual penalties from google w/ WMT messages Organic SEO 0
Elmer .S What is the most accurate search strings to use when doing manual citation audit? Citations 3
djbaxter How spam reports are used at Google: Manual actions vs. algorithm updates Spam on Google 2
Barb Davids Tool or Manual? Citations 3
T Please manually register me Contact Us Messages 1
hajnasiewicz Google Assistant Calls - manually opt out Multi-Location Issues 5
Colan Nielsen New Feature: Manually Add "Located In" to a GMB Listing Google News: Important Changes & Features 27
Marie Haynes Are schema manual actions almost always immediately reversible? Local Search 7
MichaelW Manual UK Citation Cleanup Citations 4
Priya Chandra No more manual verification via Google+ Local support Google My Business & Google Maps 9
heckler Manual Actions carrying over to new registrant Organic SEO 3
Lloyd Silver Moz Local in combination with manual citations Citations 2
Linda Buquet Comparison Between Manual Citation Building and Yext by Nyagoslav Citations 10
J Re: Building Sitemaps Manually? Stop Until You Read This! Recycle Bin 0
djbaxter Building Sitemaps Manually? Stop Until You Read This! Organic SEO 0
shondarogers Manual Google+ Verification email from Google!?!? Local Search 4
D Is adding emojis to business name gets penalty from GMB? Local Search 1
S Duplicate content penalty for using the same GMB posts? Google My Business & Google Maps 19
JoyHawkins New Structured Data Penalty for Reviews? Local Reviews 13
Linda Buquet GMB Keyword Stuffing Penalties: Case Study by Sterling Sky Local Search 14
F Google Local Search Ranking Issue- Penalty? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
djbaxter Google penalty checker tools don't work Local SEO Tools & Software 0
H Perceived Penalty / Filter - Google Local Purgatory Recycle Bin 11
Tim Colling Have specific examples of penalties for using Regus centers as "additional offices"? Local Search 15
H Am I crazy? Google analytics problem (or penalty)? Local Search 2
H Organic Penalty Advice - your thoughts Local Search 3
Blake Denman Client has a Panda penalty Local Search 7
Linda Buquet 73 SEO Experts Share Penguin Penalty Removal Tips Organic SEO 3
J Help ! I have a Panda Penalty Local Search 29
Scott ClientClicks GMB penalty due to business name? No Description! Google My Business & Google Maps 12
JoyHawkins Is there Such Thing as a Description Penalty? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Tony Wang Local Pack Penalty? Help & Support for Google Local 7
Linda Buquet Do you have a Google Penalty? How to Tell & What to Do Organic SEO 4
Linda Buquet How to Evaluate New Client Sites for Google Penalties By @CaseyMeraz Organic SEO 1
gulliver Schema Markup and Penalty Question? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Linda Buquet Ranking #1 in the Local 7 Pack - Even Though Panda or Penguin Penalty? Local Search 17
Jonathan Hatton Penalty for too many Google+ Local Reviews? Local Reviews 4
J Normal drop-off or GMB penalty? Help & Support for Google Local 2
Linda Buquet Cool Tool to Diagnose What Google Penalty you were Hit By Organic SEO 1
Linda Buquet Google Pigeon Forgives Penguin Penalties??? Google My Business & Google Maps 16
D GMB Penalty? Help & Support for Google Local 4