More threads by Sharon

Sharon

Reaction score
I went to get started on some local SEO for a client (I'm a sub for a larger agency and handle their local), and ran into an absolute MESS of spam.

So far I've found 9 listings for "My Plumber" in Hyattsville, Bowie, Annapolis, Rockville, and Chevy Chase Maryland, as well as two in Manassas Virginia. All but one of the street views show things like residential homes, a city park, a hotel, a medical clinic, etc. One looks like it may be a legit location (in an industrial area) but there's no street view for it.

One of the Manassas listings has 62 reviews, most of which look fake. Their Yelp page(s) also have numerous fake reviews, some of which have been filtered out.

Obviously this isn't just hurting my client, but every other real plumber in those areas.

Where do I even start in trying to get some of these removed? I reported them as duplicates, but beyond that what can I do?

Hey Sharon,

There are many ways that you can report spam listings.

I find that using the "Report a Problem" link in Google Maps is a good start.

reporting spam.jpg

reporting spam.jpg

I can't seem to get to that screen anymore (I've used it in the past).

This is what I'm seeing: Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 8.49.38 PM.jpg

When I go to the +local page I can click on the edit business info, but the reporting options are more limited than I remember. It's suggesting an edit rather that reporting SPAM.

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 8.49.38 PM.jpg

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom