hotcoffee

Reaction score
Hi, I have a client with 3 listings at one address. Two are with the business name and one is the practitioner's name but they want just a single map listing with the business. Since I can't merge a practitioner into the one with the business name, per Google's chat, is it best to rename the practitioner listing with the business name and let it go through + then try to merge it once the name updates?

Thanks!

hotcoffee

Reaction score
It's for a client through white labeled work for an agency so I'd rather not but it's pretty simple I think, just not super sure if anything new is out there in terms of guidance.

Listing 1 Acme Dental Group
Listing 2 Acme Dental Group
Listing 3 Dr. Acme, DDS

All same address, but since there are multiple dentists in the office GMB support won't let me merge 3 into 2 or 1. Ultimately want to end up with 1 listing for the office and not any individual practitioners.

My thought was to just change the name on #3 to Acme Dental Group and then do the merge.

hotcoffee

Reaction score
It's just a cosmetic dentist so they are limited a few anyways and this way we could focus on strengthening 1 core listing for the limited kw's

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Yes but if they want to show up for searches for dentist, as well as cosmetic dentist, and also for things like dental implants and teeth whitening you can optimize the practitioner listings for those things.

Google may be able to merge the two main listings that have the same name but it might be tricky having them merge in the practitioner listing since as you mentioned, there's multiple practitioners.

I wouldn't advise changing the name on the practitioner listing to the main practice name because then you'll have three listings with the same name and you might trigger duplicate flag.

Definitely a tricky situation, but if it was me I would take advantage of the multiple listings by just optimizing them for different things.

hotcoffee

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Colan, I appreciate it. So you would say in a setting of a multi-practitioner dentist office or say a personal injury law office you would target the more general categories (cosmetic dentistry, personal injury) and possibly use the practitioners to target other things (like in PI it would be subsets of personal injury like workers comp etc)?

Is that something you would do from the beginning or do you prefer, if possible, to just start and keep the one listing per office model? What is your preferred method if you had a choice?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Department Listings Deleting/Merging Google Duplicates & Merges 5
P Convincing Google to merge listings Google Duplicates & Merges 2
kathleen.rhodes We are unable to get Google to merge 2 duplicate listings into the correct one Google Duplicates & Merges 1
onebox220722 How to merge two lists into one list Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Chris Ratchford Waiting for Google to merge listings for over 4 months Google Duplicates & Merges 4
jimmydoubleu Google business not listed/found on Search/Map after merge Google Duplicates & Merges 6
eshad Google has merged accounts but is showing an old listing Google Duplicates & Merges 1
L Yelp merging two listings with the same name Citations 1
K Undo a Listings Merge? Google Duplicates & Merges 1
B Duplicate Listings - Google Not Merging Google Duplicates & Merges 4
Scott ClientClicks Merge soft suspended listing with primary listing? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
E.Dieter Martin 1 service area business, 1 "office", 2 phones, 2 GMB listings. Merge without losing reviews? Service Area Businesses 1
Durandl Business listing merging issue Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Ted J. Merging Two Business Listings to One Location on Yelp - Moving Reviews Across Listings Local Search 8
J Merging Solo Practitioner and Business Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Creativedge Solo practitioner with two dental offices - Should the listings be merged? Help & Support for Google Local 4
G Merging Google+ Brand Page with Google My Business Local Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Travis Van Slooten How Do You Merge (or delete) a Duplicate Google My Business Listing? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
S Remainings of a merged duplicate listing Google Duplicates & Merges 2
I Remainings of a merged duplicate listing Google Duplicates & Merges 2
C Google+ Business Page Merged w/ Map Listing...How? Help & Support for Google Local 17
R New G+ Local Listing via new dashboard created G+ Page, now have 2 pages... merge? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
J Do I have a hidden dupe/merged listing? Google Duplicates & Merges 16
Jamie Steigerwald Do I have a hidden dupe/merged listing? Google Duplicates & Merges 16
T Google+ Local Bulk Upload Merge with already existing listings? Local Search 11
Local Search News Curator Google Now Auto-Merging Google+ Pages Into Google Places Dashboard Listings Google My Business & Google Maps 0
MattCheah Seeing New Dashboard Listings merged with Google+ Business Pages - Anyone else? Google My Business & Google Maps 19
Colan Nielsen Accidentally Triggered a Google Places Verification After Listing Has Been Merged Google My Business & Google Maps 4
L What Causes Google+ Local Merged Listings - How to Fix? Google Duplicates & Merges 4
Linda Buquet What Causes Google+ Local Merged Listings - How to Fix? Google Duplicates & Merges 4
T Best strategy to merge duplicate listings? Google Duplicates & Merges 10
Tom Bristol Best strategy to merge duplicate listings? Google Duplicates & Merges 10
Linda Buquet List of Bugs and Problems after Google+ Local Merge with G+ Business Page Google My Business & Google Maps 0
M How to merge old location listing with new location listing Local Search 8
S Two Listings Merged as One Help & Support for Google Local 4
m_j_gregory Merging Google+ Business Page and Google+ Local Listing (via separate accounts) Help & Support for Google Local 25
Linda Buquet Google Places Merged Listings Analogy Local Search 0
pbarnhart Google Search Console Merging UTM'd URLs into Canonical URLs - Suggestions? Local SEO Tools & Software 5
J Gmb help please: 2 offices merged into 1 office Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Brittany Barkes Merging GMB Location With Bad Reviews Google Duplicates & Merges 2
TriciaClements Merging 2 GMB (Not duplicates) Google Duplicates & Merges 10
Jeffrey Duplicate merging not working Local Search 2
Nikki Stine One SAB purchases another SAB, has reviews on both GMBs - possible to merge? Service Area Businesses 2
FriarTuck00 Merging: One Storefront (Claimed) and One SAB (Unclaimed) Google Duplicates & Merges 3
H Merging a duplicate GMB - what happens to the posts? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
P Correct procedure to merge GMB pages for same business following relocation Google Duplicates & Merges 8
mikepetersonwi Merging businesses Moving or Name Changes 4
rclark GMB Profile Vanished & Reviews Merged With Other Realtor At Office Help & Support for Google Local 3
Conor Treacy Acquiring Business - Merging GMB & Reviews Google Duplicates & Merges 5
Larry Merge or remove a business? Google Duplicates & Merges 14