Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
dr-petes-guide-to-the-changing-google-serps-48-638.jpg

Think those new style map listings are from Google My Business?

Wrong. Those are Ads!

Joy Hawkins shared this at the Local Search Pros Community yesterday. It's a shot from Dr Pete's presentation at SMX. Others in the discussion above said this has been around for awhile.

I replied:

"So in addition to hotel and travel booking and restaurant menus reservations and some of the other monetization deals they have, they may be moving into local retail? Kinda makes sense they would go in that direction I guess."

I think it kinda makes sense for local retail but I also agree with Zachary Palmer who said:

"How fitting that the ads are Walmart and Lowe's. :confused: The main thing I love about Local - is it gives the small players a chance to compete against the big companies."

Here is Pete's slide deck from SMX.

<strong> <a href="//www.slideshare.net/SearchMarketingExpo/dr-petes-guide-to-the-changing-google-serps" title="Dr Pete's Guide to the Changing Google SERPs" target="_blank">Dr Pete's Guide to the Changing Google SERPs</a> </strong> from <strong><a href="//www.slideshare.net/SearchMarketingExpo" target="_blank">SMX</a></strong>

<iframe src="//www.slideshare.net/slideshow/embed_code/45336345" width="425" height="355" frameborder="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" style="border:1px solid #CCC; border-width:1px; margin-bottom:5px; max-width: 100%;" allowfullscreen> </iframe>​

The slide above is #48.

What do you think???
<meta property="og:type" content="article"><meta property="og:title" content=""><meta property="og:description" content="Think those new style map listings are from Google My Business? Wrong. Those are Ads!">
<meta property="og:image" content="">

dr-petes-guide-to-the-changing-google-serps-48-638.jpg

ABL3

Reaction score
If those listings become ads it would make the mobile experience within Google SERP's predominately paid. If the Pigeon update didn't motivate local retailers to focus on content and linking strategies to their pages this will!

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
I just always remember that Google is a business and their primary goal is to make money. I think Google My Business being free for so long has kind of got this idea in everyone's heads that their business deserves to be ranked high on Google without paying Google a dime. I think the reality is that Google will rank the business high only if they feel it's in their better interest (or the interest of their users, which is ultimately to keep users on Google so they can make more money from ads...etc).

So should business owners get mad if this becomes the new norm? No - they should just get prepared to pay and learn the monster that is Google AdWords or hire someone to do it for them.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Yes I agree Joy. Google does not owe anyone a free page and free advertising, even though we've become used to having it all for free. Back when I was new in the business I expected local would go to a full "pay to play" model. Kinda like the Yahoo business directory, where you had to pay for your listing.

Now she's monetizing in various ways, but to support all the free listings, support all the engineering staff and support staff, they need to make money somehow.

So it's all good. Just interesting to watch new monetization models emerge.

divotagency

Reaction score
I agree too, kinda. Google owes no one anything. They ARE in fact a business. I remember there was a time people actually thought the ads in YP's were free (hahah- but those same people were shocked to find out how much the ads actually cost) YP's always provided a free business listing - but you had to pay to "rank"

BUT... I think some businesses do deserve to rank - if it is Google's goal to provide the best search experience... Do you think this example provides the best user experience? Walmart for gas grills... No way.

The real story here is - should any of us be shocked. We've all known all along that Google really is a money motivated organization. The fact they have been able to go as long as they have with people believing in their "do no evil" mantra - while Microsoft still wallows in the hate - is beyond me.

And as ABL3 pointed out - the mobile experience. This is an interesting concept - but it is not good for the small business.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Linda Buquet Google+ Local - How Google Monetizes Mobile Infographic Mobile & Social 0
Rich Owings Google Set To Monetize Google My Business? Google My Business & Google Maps 23
M Monetizing AdWords Consultant's Corner 10
W Local Search Ecosystem Diagram Local SEO Tools & Software 1
C Franchise hub site ranking higher then local franchise sites for the brand? Organic SEO 1
koji Local business with online nationwide services in a post-corona world Google Local 101 5
Barb Davids Phone number not local area code Moving or Name Changes 2
Shelly Pros & Cons of Facebook Locations for Local SEO (for a Credit Union) Multi-Location Issues 3
rich_marlatt Do the number of backlinks from a domain have any impact on local SEO? Local Search 2
zach.todd What do you look for in a local website audit? Organic SEO 7
Professor M New Local European Local listing removals Process Google My Business & Google Maps 1
D Can you set an end-date for Local Services Ads? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
Barb Davids Ad fraud with Local Service Ads? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 6
djbaxter Brightlocal Tool shows Large Google Local Search Algorithm Update March 10, 2021 Google Algorithm Discussions 1
D Local Services and Google my Business Paid Search and Local Service Ads 2
Annika Neudecker One year later, is your GMB/local SEO traffic still up? Local Search 3
Colan Nielsen Find Local Link Opportunities with ZipSprout’s FREE Local Sponsorship Finder! Local SEO Tools & Software 8
Nicole Basham Cons of Removing Second FB Page Profile/"Extra" Twitter account for Local SAB? Mobile & Social 1
M Google Local Services Ads - Lack of Leads Paid Search and Local Service Ads 14
rustybrick Google Local ranking update? Google Algorithm Discussions 12
Matt Chauhan Serious Problem With A Dentist's Local Rankings. NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
S Local Services Ads - Fake Reviews Local Reviews 1
chrism Local Competitor Keyword Stuffing/Similar Words In GMB Spam on Google 8
buzzrank Home inspector business category not available in Canada, but local competitors have NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
djbaxter New Local SEO tool from BrightLocal: Local Search Grid Local SEO Tools & Software 7
Stef Kiley Temp closed business ranking higher in local pack Help & Support for Google Local 2
F Turkish post: Google My Business local seo Recycle Bin 0
accessted Local Falcon GMB Question Service Area Businesses 2
F Google My Business local seo Google Local 101 3
S What makes a great Home/Landing Page in Local? Local Search 6
E What is the Click Through Rate / Conversion Rate for GMB or Local 3 Pack listings? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
J New local pack display? Google Algorithm Discussions 2
N Dedicated local search Local Search 12
djbaxter Webinar The State of Local Search 2021 [Webinar + Q&A] Events 0
Imperialpest Page Speed and Local / Ranking Question Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 5
djbaxter Online Conference Pubcon Local Services Marketing Conference, January 20-21, 2021 Events 3
L Local Service Ad for Attorney Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
Professor M No Reviews on Local Packs for Car Wash Category in Different Countries Google My Business & Google Maps 1
SpectateSwamp How about discussing local search... Like the Spectate one; everything a 50+ years of programming Geezer wants Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 3
B Google Beacons helping Local visability? Local Search 1
JoyHawkins Are Local Services Ads Stealing Clicks from Google My Business? A Case Study of 110 Listings Paid Search and Local Service Ads 0
M Decreased traffic to Google maps due to local service ads Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
Eoghan_MFeed Looking for a SaaS but more importantly Local Search experienced product managers 🔍 Local SEO Job Board 0
Professor M Google Maps and Google My Business Big Changes - Google Maps Local News Feed Google My Business & Google Maps 26
Shelly "On the menu: [item]" visual label in local pack Help & Support for Google Local 3
Brian Barwig Unconventional Approaches to Local Link Building Local Search 0
Marty Twelves Local links: are they really that much better? Local Search 1
Y Whenever I publish update for my local business, my local rankings drop for 3-4 days Local Search 1
H Recorded Sessions from Local U Local Search 1
jeff_taylor GMB Removes Reviews from Local Pack Local Search 0