MunishDev

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am in a bit of confusion here regarding my Google places listings and Citations. My company name has changed and all my citations reflect old company name while I have changed it in Google places. This all happened few months ago and Google has picked up new company name.

Out of sudden flash of enlightenment:eek: I came to realize that having different company names is not good. Now The question is Should I change all the citations(I have previously created account in most of them.) or change the company name in Google Places :confused:. Pleas Help!

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Happy to help. But you posted in someone else's thread about a totally different topic, so I moved you to your own post here in the help section.

A couple problems. But basically you can't just change the name on your Place page if you move OR re-brand. It can cause all kinds of data problems.

Google is probably going to keep changing the name back on you.

DON'T touch the Place page right now. We need to investigate and advise best way forward because this can get SUPER complicated.

Please post link to listing.
Old name, new name.
When you changed it and when you pin verified it.

Then we can investigate and advise from there.

MunishDev

Reaction score

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Google now say's that with any NAP changes, the best practice is to create a new listing and mark the old one as closed.

However, for minor business name changes, where the brand is the same, you should be ok to make the minor name edit within the account, as you have already done six months ago.

It was just a name change, right? Phone number and address are the same?

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
If it was a name edit with part of the name the same, not a complete name change
and ESPECIALLY since it was 6 months ago I would not close and open new.

Now if you asked me BEFORE the name change I would caution that that name is too long and could look KW stuffed to the algo and there are not hardly any citations to support it. So I'm still a little worried about being suspended.

But if it's been live for 6 months you could be OK. But you better get busy and change the most important citations sources to match ASAP.

Reaction score
Name corrections are allowed for things like misspellings, but branding changes such as these should have resulted in closing the old and opening a new one. Since the change was so long ago I wouldn't change it, but it is likely the name will flip flop as the bots will see the name imported and will sometimes revert it to that. Have fun playing with the bots... :rolleyes:

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
micromano Will changing a business name in GMB cause reviews to be lost? Moving or Name Changes 3
Ben Walsh Branding name change for local attorney ( legalities) Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 1
J Change Name Request Contact Us Messages 0
nathangdavidson Need to change the building name for a client Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Ben Walsh GMB business name keeps getting reverted back to old name after branding change Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
Scott ClientClicks Move + Name Change: Possible to keep GMB? Moving or Name Changes 3
Ann Schmitter Change name Contact Us Messages 2
K Google Keeps Changing my Business Name Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Peter Hill Naming changes for COVID-19 Moving or Name Changes 4
Lachlan_Wells How to keep your reviews after a name change Moving or Name Changes 3
haileym Appearing For Branded Searches After Name Change Moving or Name Changes 1
Y Will small change of google business name hurt my google business rankings? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
B Negative Effects Changing GMB Name? Moving or Name Changes 1
K Not The Best Practice for a GMB / Citations Name Change...and I need opinions. Moving or Name Changes 3
djbaxter Updated How to change your avatar and/or member name How To Guides 4
vinchenson Would you change the name of a listing that is not optimized? Local Search 4
Tim Colling Someone trying to change GMB location name, EVERY DAY Google My Business & Google Maps 11
Oliver Keates Change in GMB Business name for lawyers industry Consultant's Corner 4
Bryan Bloom Can I change my user name that show? Contact Us Messages 1
Tim Colling Street name change Local Search 7
JoshuaMackens School Names Changed in Maps but not Search Local Search 6
Durandl Business name change - Impact on reviews? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Tim Sweeney Dunkin Donuts Name Change Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 1
G GMB page changing name? Local Search 7
Colan Nielsen Google Changes Business Name in Local Knowledge Graph Google My Business & Google Maps 4
bczubiak Local Search - Dentist is considering changing his name due to racial profiling Local Search 6
Tim Colling Change User Name or display full name? Forum Tech Support 3
chrish Google+ Won't Change Name to Correct Spelling Google My Business & Google Maps 3
JoyHawkins Professional Listing with a Name Change Citations 5
M Changed Business Name Citations 2
MichaelW What to do with Business Name Change Help & Support for Google Local 3
C Name Change - Best Practices? Moving or Name Changes 9
C Name Change - Best Practices? Moving or Name Changes 9
plasticotter Can't Change Name on Custom URL? Help & Support for Google Local 1
JoshuaMackens Changing Your Name on Google Google My Business & Google Maps 1
R Restaurant client claimed previous business and changed name Moving or Name Changes 8
Rich Owings Restaurant client claimed previous business and changed name Moving or Name Changes 8
L Google Changes Business Name To Other Than Legal Name NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 4
Lloyd Silver Google Changes Business Name To Other Than Legal Name NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 4
R Company with DBA & Legal Business Names - Changing NAP Listing Data? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 6
R Company with DBA & Legal Business Names - Changing NAP Listing Data? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 6
Chase Billow Business Name and Website Change - Reviews Disappear Help & Support for Google Local 4
Louis Nava Changing Blog Name, Keeping domain Local Search 5
Bishop Citations: Business Name Change question Citations 4
Travis Van Slooten Business Name Change - How To Handle Their Google+ Local Page? Google My Business & Google Maps 16
Eric Rohrback Can Lawyer Name Change Cause Problems? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
carltonrsmith Redesign for Client Website that Has Decent Rankings, Considering Domain Name Change Organic SEO 1
M Changing Name Help & Support for Google Local 23
Brian Changing the Firm Name Help & Support for Google Local 7
K Dentist bought existing practice - name and phone number change - questions Moving or Name Changes 5