More threads by Desouza

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am 19 year old student who is fairly new to the forum, and interested in learning about local SEO. I am pretty knowledgeable with technology and wordpress

I am wanting to build my mother a website for her tailoring/alteration business. She has been working a job as a seamstress for over 30 years and is very good. She does not make much money at her job and is getting old so it is hard for her to continue working 50+ hour weeks like she has to make ends meet lately. So I want to build a web presence for her business to do something nice for her, and learn in the process also.

We are located in London, Ontario, Canada. Looking at the search traffic numbers for related keywords (tailor, alterations, seamstress.. etc) , and some of the companies competing in the pack, I think this would be an easy niche to try and rank for, for my first website. (Please correct me if I am wrong, although estimating the competition/ difficulty of ranking for particular keywords is something I am not an expert on at all)

She currently has a home-based alteration business, but the traffic (not much) is all word of mouth basically.. Please understand when you read this post that I am doing this with good intention and I am almost a complete noob to SEO atm, although I have done quite a bit of research on the topic.

I had a few questions regarding where to start with the wordpress website :

1) Does a .ca domain name help with local search at all if I am located in Canada, or would .com work just as fine? does the actual domain affect SEO at all? I was thinking of choosing londonalterations.com. Does that seem fine ?

2) She does not have a website at all at the moment, so I will be creating it from scratch. Regarding themes to use, I landed on this SmallBiz theme as suggested by many on this forum. WordPress for Business Websites - The SmallBiz Wordpress Theme - A Complete Web Presence for Your Business

Good choice?/ Any other suggestions that perform just as well (Maybe at a cheaper price, as I am on a budget right now)

3) Regarding wordpress plug-ins, if I did install a local seo optimized theme as listed above, so you really think it is still necessary to buy a plug-in like Yoasts' Local Seo or SEO?

If only one, which one would be the better option? The wordpress theme or the Plugins?

And If plug-ins, would you need BOTH the SEO and Local SEO plugin from Yoast?

That's all for now, if anyone would be kind enough to giving me to some starting steps to get moving in the right direction , it would be greatly appreciated.

Its so hard to know what is right and wrong now with all he abundance of information on the internet. (I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and want to do everything the right way)

1) Does a .ca domain name help with local search at all if I am located in Canada, or would .com work just as fine? does the actual domain affect <acronym title="Search Engine Optimization" style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px; border-bottom-style: dotted; border-bottom-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); cursor: help; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">SEO</acronym> at all? I was thinking of choosing londonalterations.com. Does that seem fine ?

I would buy both the .com and the .ca. I would use the .ca as primary and forward the .com.

2) She does not have a website at all at the moment, so I will be creating it from scratch. Regarding themes to use, I landed on this SmallBiz theme as suggested by many on this forum. WordPress for Business Websites - The SmallBiz Wordpress Theme - A Complete Web Presence for Your Business

I am not a fan of this theme. If you want easy, powerful and fast to build I would suggest the Enfold Theme at Themeforest. We always used the Genesis Framework and various child themes in the past and they are also excellent but development and customization will take much longer and requires more skills. Don't scrimp on the price... Enfold is about $50.

We can develop sites in half the time using a "builder" theme like Enfold versus a more minimalist theme like Genesis. Still love Genesis however.

Good choice?/ Any other suggestions that perform just as well (Maybe at a cheaper price, as I am on a budget right now)

3) Regarding wordpress plug-ins, if I did install a local <acronym title="Search Engine Optimization" style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px; border-bottom-style: dotted; border-bottom-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); cursor: help; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">seo</acronym> optimized theme as listed above, so you really think it is still necessary to buy a plug-in like Yoasts' Local <acronym title="Search Engine Optimization" style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px; border-bottom-style: dotted; border-bottom-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); cursor: help; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">Seo</acronym> or <acronym title="Search Engine Optimization" style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px; border-bottom-style: dotted; border-bottom-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); cursor: help; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">SEO</acronym>
?

Yes we still use Yoast SEO plugin on all sites. It's free. Follow his instructions and your on-page will be pretty good.

If only one, which one would be the better option? The wordpress theme or the Plugins?

And If plug-ins, would you need BOTH the <acronym title="Search Engine Optimization" style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px; border-bottom-style: dotted; border-bottom-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); cursor: help; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">SEO</acronym> and Local <acronym title="Search Engine Optimization" style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px; border-bottom-style: dotted; border-bottom-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); cursor: help; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">SEO</acronym> plugin from Yoast?

We only use the free Yoast SEO plugin, wasn't even aware that he had a Local version. I will check it out so thanks for that. :)

@Desouza

What David said. I'd just add a couple points:

1. I haven't noticed there's any benefit in a .ca TLD. As he said, you'll want to own both and forward .com to .ca. The .ca is just more recognizable and may appear more "friendly" to your fellow Canadians.

2. The SmallBiz theme is good. You might also want to check out WooThemes.

3. I don't think you need Yoast's "Local" plugin in addition to the standard Yoast SEO plugin. The main thing the former does is make it easy to put your NAP (name, address, phone) on every page and in Schema.org format - but there's plenty of guidance on my site on how to do that :)

1) Does a .ca domain name help with local search at all if I am located in Canada, or would .com work just as fine? does the actual domain affect <acronym title="Search Engine Optimization" style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px; border-bottom-style: dotted; border-bottom-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); cursor: help; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">SEO</acronym> at all? I was thinking of choosing londonalterations.com. Does that seem fine ?

I would buy both the .com and the .ca. I would use the .ca as primary and forward the .com.

I am not a fan of this theme. If you want easy, powerful and fast to build I would suggest the Enfold Theme at Themeforest. We always used the Genesis Framework and various child themes in the past and they are also excellent but development and customization will take much longer and requires more skills. Don't scrimp on the price... Enfold is about $50.

We can develop sites in half the time using a "builder" theme like Enfold versus a more minimalist theme like Genesis. Still love Genesis however.

3) Regarding wordpress plug-ins, if I did install a local <acronym title="Search Engine Optimization" style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px; border-bottom-style: dotted; border-bottom-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); cursor: help; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">seo</acronym> optimized theme as listed above, so you really think it is still necessary to buy a plug-in like Yoasts' Local <acronym title="Search Engine Optimization" style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px; border-bottom-style: dotted; border-bottom-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); cursor: help; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">Seo</acronym> or <acronym title="Search Engine Optimization" style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px; border-bottom-style: dotted; border-bottom-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); cursor: help; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">SEO</acronym>
?

Yes we still use Yoast SEO plugin on all sites. It's free. Follow his instructions and your on-page will be pretty good.

And If plug-ins, would you need BOTH the <acronym title="Search Engine Optimization" style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px; border-bottom-style: dotted; border-bottom-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); cursor: help; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">SEO</acronym> and Local <acronym title="Search Engine Optimization" style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px; border-bottom-style: dotted; border-bottom-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); cursor: help; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">SEO</acronym> plugin from Yoast?

We only use the free Yoast SEO plugin, wasn't even aware that he had a Local version. I will check it out so thanks for that. :)

Thanks so much for the help!

May I ask why you are not a fan of the SmallBiz theme?

From what I gathered, Genesis is more simple than Thesis to use for someone like me, although a theme such as Don's SmallBiz theme would be even more simple/fast for someone like me to use?

What is the benefit of using Genesis over the SmallBiz theme?
And do you think they will both have similar load times?

I don't build sites so have not tried any of them.

But I recommend Don's SmallBiz theme because I've seen so many sites that use it and rank high and of course know him and trust that he does a good job.

I purchased it about a year ago I believe and though it was pretty buggy at the time. Mind you I believe they were just introducing a new version that was responsive so the current version could be great.

Don is a fantastic guy and you will get a lot of support from him and he really knows his stuff.

I wasn't recommending you start with Genesis or Theses but something like Enfold that has an easy to use "builder" in the admin area that makes things easy and fast.

However if many here use Don's theme and recommend it I would give it a try. Pretty safe bet.

@Desouza

What David said. I'd just add a couple points:

1. I haven't noticed there's any benefit in a .ca TLD. As he said, you'll want to own both and forward .com to .ca. The .ca is just more recognizable and may appear more "friendly" to your fellow Canadians.

2. The SmallBiz theme is good. You might also want to check out WooThemes.

3. I don't think you need Yoast's "Local" plugin in addition to the standard Yoast SEO plugin. The main thing the former does is make it easy to put your NAP (name, address, phone) on every page and in Schema.org format - but there's plenty of guidance on my site on how to do that :)

thanks for the reply Phil. Just a few follow-ups on your suggestions:

1. Is there any SEO benefit to having both the .com and .ca domain names? I don't see the benefit of having both

2. Would you recommend me going with the SmallBiz theme, or the Genesis framework and a Studiopress child theme? Which one would be better in the long term? (I am willing to put in the extra work to learn how to use genesis if it is harder use, but a better option)

3. Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't notice the Free SEO plugin on his site. I think I was looking at the Advanced SEO plugin which is paid.. Would you say that is a must-have ?

Thanks !

---------- Post Merged at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:21 PM ----------

I don't build sites so have not tried any of them.

But I recommend Don's SmallBiz theme because I've seen so many sites that use it and rank high and of course know him and trust that he does a good job.

thanks Linda!

Something I was wondering also for the future... Does Google look down upon multiple business based out of the same address? (ex: multiple home based businesses). Can you verify different business via postcard sent to the same address?

also, should i add as many citations as I can, or can adding certain citations actually hurt my local rankings? and how fast am I able to add them without looking odd too google?

Something I was wondering also for the future... Does Google look down upon multiple business based out of the same address? (ex: multiple home based businesses). Can you verify different business via postcard sent to the same address?

I'll take this one. Usually but it depends. And if it does not qualify it's not a matter of just looking down on, she'll sometimes delete one or both or suspend the account.

Is it the same person running both and performing both services?
Are the industries the slightest bit related?

What type of business is each one?

I'll take this one. Usually but it depends. And if it does not qualify it's not a matter of just looking down on, she'll sometimes delete one or both or suspend the account.

Is it the same person running both and performing both services?
Are the industries the slightest bit related?

What type of business is each one?

Sorry for the late reply linda.. The businesses would be different trade related businesses (Ex. Roofing, siding, painting, etc.) .. I am a very handy person that is skilled in many different trades, and would all be home based businesses where I travel to the clients location. Since they are different businesses, would there be a problem verifying the google my business page at the same house address, and more so a problem ranking each site for target keywords?

Thanks.

Update on my mom's website.. I decided to go with the genesis framework and the executive pro theme. Thanks for the input everyone!!

The businesses would be different trade related businesses (Ex. Roofing, siding, painting, etc.) .. I am a very handy person that is skilled in many different trades, and would all be home based businesses where I travel to the clients location. Since they are different businesses, would there be a problem verifying the google my business page at the same house address...

No sorry you would only be allowed one listing. It's one business entity - you - offering all those services.
If I call the roofing company you answer and do the work. If I call the painting #, same thing, it's you. (Businesses that try to get away with it, often get deleted or suspended.)

So you need one listing that links to one site that explains all your services.
On that one listing G gives you 10 categories and plenty of room in description to explain different services.

No sorry you would only be allowed one listing. It's one business entity - you - offering all those services.
If I call the roofing company you answer and do the work. If I call the painting #, same thing, it's you. (Businesses that try to get away with it, often get deleted or suspended.)

So you need one listing that links to one site that explains all your services.
On that one listing G gives you 10 categories and plenty of room in description to explain different services.

Okay, thanks for the reply.. but for example.. me and my mom, two separate people, businesses and phone numbers, but verified using the same address should probably be ok with Google?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My previous reply was because you said

"The businesses would be different trade related businesses (Ex. Roofing, siding, painting, etc.)"

Which since you kept saying businesses plural sounded like you wanted multiple listings for yourself too.

But if just one for you and one for Mom, diff industries and phone #s should be OK.

On the question of .com vs .ca, if you're in Canada then i'd definitely recommend the .ca. If you do a Google search in the Canadian market you'll see a lot more sites using the .ca TLD over the .com. Whether this influences ranking.... not sure. I assume localization and the fact that a .ca shows you're actually in Canada vs a non-specific .com address might help.

In any case it seems like more big brands are using .ca to appear more relevant to the person searching. Definitely couldn't hurt to have the .ca and forward the .com like David and Phil said

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom