Conor Treacy

Reaction score
I noticed this today and haven't seen it before.

When searching, I found one or two of the listings that had tabs under the search result. This gave a short caption of the H2 that was on the page.

This only appears to be triggered if the H2 in question was part of a Table of Contents type list.

serp-results-with-tabs.gif

The page that it links to has a table of contents and those are linked to the H2's. Here's whats on the linked page:

Pick the Right Google My Business Category [2021 List].jpg

Looks like we'll be adding TOC's to our posts and/or pages for additional space in the SERP.

Conor Treacy

Reaction score
Well, that was one of my quicker experiments :)

I modified a post on our site (actually ALL posts) to now include a table of contents using the H2 & H3 tags on the page. Added that to the top of the page, resubmitted the page to Google and now I have tabs too :)
(it's showing in some locations, and not in others)

Total time from edit to publish and showing in SERP was less than 4 hours. I added the Table of Contents in a dropdown tab that is collapsed by default. It also sticks to the top as you scroll down the page (sticky only on desktop as I didn't want to take up the room on mobile).

Now if you search google for "5 local SEO mistakes" not only did we move from position #4 in SERPS but we're now #2 and "local SEO mistakes to avoid" moved from #11 to #8. Although Google did rewrite our page description which doesn't look great now :)

Nothing else was changed on the page, just the addition of the TOC
5 local seo mistakes - Google Search.png

Joey Abna

Reaction score
I have a client that uses TOC's on some of the informational pages. Checked today and he is getting featured snippets and tabbed results on several of them. Also seeing nice upward movement in the last 7 days. May have to expand the TOC usage to more pages.

1649342617158.jpg

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU

Most UpVoted Answers

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Google Product Exert

Top Bottom