More threads by PaulJBis

PaulJBis

Reaction score
Hello:

I thought that this might be a common question, but after a quick search, haven't found any threads that apply exactly to this case, so hope this isn't a duplicate.

I have a client that owns an hostel in a small town in the Camino de Santiago (*), in Spain. They have a verified Google Business profile. The problem is... there used to be another hostel with a similar name in the exact same address. That hostel doesn't exist anymore, but for some reason it still shows up on Google My Business, including the reviews and the old phone number. That profile doesn't seem to be verified: when I try to claim it, Google offers me to verify it, instead of showing the "this business is already administered by [Gmail address]" message.

((*) This is relevant because there are plenty of online directories for pilgrims walking the Camino de Santiago that still list the old business, and I suspect that Google might be pulling its info from them).

Anyway, I advised my client to claim the old profile; since they reside now at the same address that appears in the old business, they should receive the postcard with no problems. My client asks me, though: once they control the old profile, can they delete it? Which makes me doubt: what is the best course of action here?

-Control the old profile and change its contact info: "This business is now called [new business name]. Our phone number is [new phone]", etc., etc.
-Delete somehow the old profile, and risk Google adding it again automatically.
-Or just forget about claiming the old profile and just contact Google asking it to merge it with the new one.

Since I distrust a giant like Google paying attention to the problems of small businesses in general, I advised my client to take the course of action that allowed them most control, that is, claiming the old profile and change its data... but maybe I am wrong. What would you do in my case?

Thanks in advance.

Hello:

I thought that this might be a common question, but after a quick search, haven't found any threads that apply exactly to this case, so hope this isn't a duplicate.

I have a client that owns an hostel in a small town in the Camino de Santiago (*), in Spain. They have a verified Google Business profile. The problem is... there used to be another hostel with a similar name in the exact same address. That hostel doesn't exist anymore, but for some reason it still shows up on Google My Business, including the reviews and the old phone number. That profile doesn't seem to be verified: when I try to claim it, Google offers me to verify it, instead of showing the "this business is already administered by [Gmail address]" message.

((*) This is relevant because there are plenty of online directories for pilgrims walking the Camino de Santiago that still list the old business, and I suspect that Google might be pulling its info from them).

Anyway, I advised my client to claim the old profile; since they reside now at the same address that appears in the old business, they should receive the postcard with no problems. My client asks me, though: once they control the old profile, can they delete it? Which makes me doubt: what is the best course of action here?

-Control the old profile and change its contact info: "This business is now called [new business name]. Our phone number is [new phone]", etc., etc.
-Delete somehow the old profile, and risk Google adding it again automatically.
-Or just forget about claiming the old profile and just contact Google asking it to merge it with the new one.

Since I distrust a giant like Google paying attention to the problems of small businesses in general, I advised my client to take the course of action that allowed them most control, that is, claiming the old profile and change its data... but maybe I am wrong. What would you do in my case?

Thanks in advance.

Suggest an edit that the business "doesn't exist"

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom