More threads by Langandq

Langandq

Reaction score
Hey I'm going through Google Search Console looking at the Page Indexing 404 Report. Usually, when I find a page that has a 404 issue it's usually a URL that needs updated which I use SEOquake to help find where it is located.

Currently, the report has a few URLs from a previous version of the site where I cannot find what's causing the 404 issue. I've used the URL Inspection Tool to find the referring page, however, it isn't on the page. I've used both SEOquake and ScreamingFrog to find where this so called link is and it doesn't exist. I've even had GSC rerun the link to make sure it isn't an old update.

Any suggestions on trying to find this phantom 404 page? I've submitted a sitemap update as well. Not sure what I should try next.

Solution
That happens often. Google has a habit of keeping old urls in memory. If you've fixed everything then all you can do is keep validating the issue until the system decides to forget it.
If it was a real page, a redirect should be put in place for it though.
That happens often. Google has a habit of keeping old urls in memory. If you've fixed everything then all you can do is keep validating the issue until the system decides to forget it.
If it was a real page, a redirect should be put in place for it though.

Solution

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Live Webinar - Local SEO Audits

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom