More threads by Oliver Keates

Reaction score
Hi

I have a client who has two separate companies registered at the same address (NAP). My goal is to build citations to one the companies at this address. I assume there would be a conflict with duplicate citations? What is the best way to proceed with building citations?

thanks

Depends. What industries are the listings in? Is the address commercial or residential?

Are both businesses in the construction industry? Can you be specific about the industries? And am I to understand that both businesses are out of a commercial address?

Also, are the names similar at all?

Shouldn't be an issue as long as they're in separate business niches. My wife and I have multiple businesses at one location, never had any troubles...

Shouldn't be an issue as long as they're in separate business niches. My wife and I have multiple businesses at one location, never had any troubles...

Agreed. Typically, Google would treat the address like they do with a Mall location that has many businesses in it.

There could be an issue if the names are similar and the industries are connected.

We had a painter and roofer (granted, probably 5 years ago) that went by "*** Painting" and "*** Roofing" where the *** were the same name. So, for instance, "Quality Painting" and "Quality Roofing". Out of the same house.

The Roofing company never made it very high in the 3 pack even though they were doing great organically. Google let the painting company rank just fine though. It was because they shared a similar name at the same address. It confused Google. Other factors that could have also posed an issue are a) similar industries (construction) and b) residential address.

This was 5 years ago so it may be different but if you're running afoul of any of the issues I mentioned above, I'd encourage you to mention which one(s) and let us take a look.

I would think in recent years google is using machine learning to better understand citation NAP's?

I would think in recent years google is using machine learning to better understand citation NAP's?

You would hope.

We would also hope Google would have made more sophisticated local algorithm improvements to the point that keywords in a business name wouldn't skyrocket someone's local ranking. But that hasn't happened.

Google is a mixed back when it comes to innovation. Local seems to be left out in the rain a lot.

One problem to be aware of is when a Google person gets involved, they can sometimes be "hyper-dog vigilant" about similarly-named SABs in the same location. I have someone who has three distinctly different companies (different corporations) involved in different industries but all branded with the same initial wording because they think it's a great brand. A Google employee recently unreasonably threatened them with removal from Map unless they moved two of them to different, real office locations. Seems unfair but then again sometimes it's better to know which fights to pick and which ones not to. Petty tyrants, sadly, exist in all organizations.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom