Paul Gregory

Reaction score
Basically what the title says...

I have heard conflicting info on "keyword in the domain", and I am wondering what you all would do if you had the chance to start fresh.

Our Situation:
  • We are a local, single location spa in an affluent suburb of a decent-sized metro area.
  • We are rebranding (we have a great reputation and this is not the reason for the rebrand)
  • "Spa" is likely our most important keyword (day spa, facial spa, massage spa, skin spa, etc)
  • I have purchased both [new_brand].com and [new_brand]spa.com
  • Personal spa services are 95% of majority of current revenue, although we do have eCommerce for skincare and wellness, and I would like to see that business grow in the future
Questions:
  • Which domain would you go with if you could start fresh?
  • If you went with [brand].com - would you make your Local URL .com/spa, .com/spa-[city], just the root domain, or something else?
  • Anyone else done a rebrand here that can offer me some general wisdom that might be helpful?
Thanks in Advance! :)

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
@ZeroXing, it depends on how distinct the brand name is. If the name by itself sounds like something a spa elsewhere in the country would call itself, or like a name a startup or app or non-profit would adopt, or if it's the kind of phrase someone might Google because he or she doesn't know what it means, then I'd go with [new_brand]spa.com. The idea is you want to avoid ways people can confuse your brand with another brand (and you get their bad reviews and they get your good reviews). Also, you want to make it real easy for Google to pull up the local knowledge panel for anything resembling a brand-name search.

But if the name by itself is pretty unmistakable, I'd go with [new_brand].com.

Paul Gregory

Reaction score
@ZeroXing, it depends on how distinct the brand name is. If the name by itself sounds like something a spa elsewhere in the country would call itself, or like a name a startup or app or non-profit would adopt, or if it's the kind of phrase someone might Google because he or she doesn't know what it means, then I'd go with [new_brand]spa.com. The idea is you want to avoid ways people can confuse your brand with another brand (and you get their bad reviews and they get your good reviews). Also, you want to make it real easy for Google to pull up the local knowledge panel for anything resembling a brand-name search.

But if the name by itself is pretty unmistakable, I'd go with [new_brand].com.

Thanks, Phil. I think the name is sufficiently unique and in my own slightly biased opinion, a very strong brand name. :)

How would you set up the URL structure in that case? Would you create a landing page for local or would you just use the root domain for citations and such?

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Thanks for your input Joy! Why would you go with the ...spa.com out of curiousity?

Because I still constantly see domains with keywords getting ranked high both organically and locally. In my experience, keywords in domain names has more of an impact in the local packs than organic.

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Hey @ZeroXing. I'd definitely go with the homepage as the landing page URL, unless maybe the spa has more than a few locations (though you may want to use the homepage even then).

As I've suggested for many years - to the point of sounding like a broken record - the homepage often does better than landing pages do, probably because in most cases it's got all the links.

Definitely use the homepage as the GMB landing page URL if the only or main reason you'd consider using spa, .com/spa-[city] is to get the phrase and city in the URL slug. Using a subpage just for that reason isn't worth it. Having the search term ("spa") in the domain seems to pack a little more of a wallop, as @JoyHawkins mentioned.

Conor Treacy

Reaction score
Given the option, I'd put the keyword in the domain every time (if it makes sense). In the case of a Spa, it makes sense, so add it in. As Joy mentioned, keywords in domains still play a role, and while we've been told for years that this is going away, it's yet to do so.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Linda Buquet Mojopages Rebrands as Local Stack & Pros Discuss Best Citations Citations 0
L Between a Rock and a Hard Place on Google Local - Rebranding or Moving? Moving or Name Changes 12
Linda Buquet Between a Rock and a Hard Place on Google Local - Rebranding or Moving? Moving or Name Changes 12
L Google+ Local How to Move or Rebrand Local Listing Moving or Name Changes 0
Linda Buquet Google+ Local How to Move or Rebrand Local Listing Moving or Name Changes 0
Linda Buquet Rebranding and Name Change Problems on Google Local Local Search 5
B Rebranding: same services, same team, same address, new name, new URL Moving or Name Changes 9
J Same Location, Same Owners, Still a Restaurant, Total Rebrand Local Search 3
J Unable to change the custom URL link on YouTube for a rebranded business Local Content 2
j_holtslander Google preventing URL update for rebranded business Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Ted J. Rebranding a location Local Search 8
d2minc Client Rebranding and Moving - Same Site and Phone - New Name and Address Citations 3
S Bad reviews for a rebranded business Google My Business & Google Maps 2
CodyBaird Rebrand. Will Google Remove the Reviews? Local Reviews 5
R Rebrand and move but keeping phone number Moving or Name Changes 7
Rich Owings Rebrand and move but keeping phone number Moving or Name Changes 7
Linda Buquet Google Business View Rebrands (Again) PLUS More Maps Changes Google My Business & Google Maps 16
B rebranded, moved across the street, then expanded to neighboring space, and more! Moving or Name Changes 1
B rebranded, moved across the street, then expanded to neighboring space, and more! Moving or Name Changes 1
S Rebranding With Addition of New Office Moving or Name Changes 4
Scott Rawlins Rebranding With Addition of New Office Moving or Name Changes 4
L Rebrand or Name Change - Map Maker Says Open New & Close Old Moving or Name Changes 28
Linda Buquet Rebrand or Name Change - Map Maker Says Open New & Close Old Moving or Name Changes 28
rich_marlatt Do the number of backlinks from a domain have any impact on local SEO? Local Search 2
zach.todd What do you look for in a local website audit? Organic SEO 7
Professor M New Local European Local listing removals Process Google My Business & Google Maps 1
D Can you set an end-date for Local Services Ads? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
Barb Davids Ad fraud with Local Service Ads? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 6
djbaxter Brightlocal Tool shows Large Google Local Search Algorithm Update March 10, 2021 Google Algorithm Discussions 1
D Local Services and Google my Business Paid Search and Local Service Ads 2
Annika Neudecker One year later, is your GMB/local SEO traffic still up? Local Search 3
Colan Nielsen Find Local Link Opportunities with ZipSprout’s FREE Local Sponsorship Finder! Local SEO Tools & Software 8
Nicole Basham Cons of Removing Second FB Page Profile/"Extra" Twitter account for Local SAB? Mobile & Social 1
M Google Local Services Ads - Lack of Leads Paid Search and Local Service Ads 14
rustybrick Google Local ranking update? Google Algorithm Discussions 12
Matt Chauhan Serious Problem With A Dentist's Local Rankings. NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
S Local Services Ads - Fake Reviews Local Reviews 1
chrism Local Competitor Keyword Stuffing/Similar Words In GMB Spam on Google 8
buzzrank Home inspector business category not available in Canada, but local competitors have NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
djbaxter New Local SEO tool from BrightLocal: Local Search Grid Local SEO Tools & Software 7
Stef Kiley Temp closed business ranking higher in local pack Help & Support for Google Local 2
F Turkish post: Google My Business local seo Recycle Bin 0
accessted Local Falcon GMB Question Service Area Businesses 2
F Google My Business local seo Google Local 101 3
S What makes a great Home/Landing Page in Local? Local Search 6
E What is the Click Through Rate / Conversion Rate for GMB or Local 3 Pack listings? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
J New local pack display? Google Algorithm Discussions 2
N Dedicated local search Local Search 12
djbaxter Webinar The State of Local Search 2021 [Webinar + Q&A] Events 0
Imperialpest Page Speed and Local / Ranking Question Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 5