More threads by Kurt Steinbrueck

Solutions
Reaction score
Hi,

I've always encouraged my clients to respond to reviews and have offered help at times, especially with negative reviews. However, I have some clients interested in me responding to their reviews for them to ensure a timely response to every review. So, I'm considering what would be involved in providing that service. Obviously, the quickest and easiest thing would be to simply post something generic like "Thanks!" or "Thank you for leaving a review. I'm glad you had a great experience. "Requests or negative reviews would require something more specific to the situation and probably involve the client.

However, I got to thinking about whether generic responses like these are really beneficial.

What do you all think?

1. Are generic responses worth doing from an SEO standpoint?

2. Are generic responses worth doing from a customer interaction standpoint?

3. Is it worth taking the time to customize a response either based on the customer's review or even talking with the business owner in situations where they may be personally familiar with the customer/situation?

Is there something I'm missing as I think through this?

Thanks.
Kurt

1. No
2. No
3. The goal of the review responses is to show that A. the business cares and to move the conversation offline with the goal to work out the issue and fix the review.

If you and I were entering a building at the same time and I opened or held the door for you, what would be the expected reaction? It would be to say thank you. That is the same sentiment to take with positive reviews. Thank them for their feedback and for being a customer.

If you and I were entering a building at the same time and I opened or held the door for you, what would be the expected reaction? It would be to say thank you. That is the same sentiment to take with positive reviews. Thank them for their feedback and for being a customer.

Absolutely. And potential new customers look for that sort of courtesy, too!
:)

Hi Kurt,

I totally agree with Jason and Tim! It's not meaningful to reviewers or future customers if you're responding generically just to check the box. Responding with the same generic response to positive or negative reviews is almost worst than not responding at all. There's definitely a way that you can do this for your clients, but it won't be super quick and easy.

Responding to customer reviews is what we do at The Respondery, so if you have any other questions about providing review responses for your clients, I would be happy share additional info. Feel free to message me directly.

I always tell the businesses that I work with when replying to a negative review, it's never to try to "win an argument", don't try to lay out the details of what happened to justify anything.

The reply shouldn't try to deflect the negative review, take accountability that you see the review, and let them know who to reach out to and how to see if there is any way to improve the experience.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom