More threads by Linda Buquet

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Hot off the press...

Q2 2015 Progress Report On Our Product Prioritization

maps.yahoo.com: The Yahoo Maps site will close at the end of June. However, in the context of Yahoo search and on several other Yahoo properties including Flickr, we will continue to support maps. We made this decision to better align resources to Yahoo?s priorities as our business has evolved since we first launched Yahoo Maps eight years ago.

Not sure what, if any, affect this will have on Yahoo Local business listings.

Via Max Minzer on Google+

Yahoo died along time ago imo. Citations to Yext will prove to be another dying grasp for cash before...death. None of yahoos decisions have shown the commitment to stay in the game for a long time now. Personally, I look forward to yahoo joining AOL and the rest of the bone yard. There are more exciting things happening in your local hospice ward.

I'm with you Cody. The news of Yahoo Maps going down actually reminded me that Yahoo actually had maps in the first place. I know there has been talk of Alibaba buying Yahoo, but that has faded due to political walls. Jack Ma seems to be the only person out there that has a clear understanding of how Yahoo would work in the US.

What would be an interesting merge would be Bing and Yahoo coming together to re-brand as a Google competitor.

They never really jumped on the mobile bandwagon or offered a product that integrated into most devices like Apple or Google so for me it's been dead for a long time. They needed to be more mainstream with it.

If they shut down the map engine, doesnt that mean that business listings are ultimately cut out too?

How does one "add" a new business for a yahoo local search "directory" if geography (a map) isnt a factor anymore?

Maybe if they went with a consumer friendly Factual route were they display all the relevant businesses to the search, but I doubt Yahoo has the smarts for that.

Related discussion:

<a href="http://www.localsearchforum.com/local-search-news/33089-what-does-end-yahoo-maps-really-mean.html">What Does The End Of Yahoo Maps Really Mean?</a>

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom