More threads by JrussellDAS

JrussellDAS

Reaction score
Hello, I am not an expert in schema, and we are replatforming and redesigning our websites. Working with the agency on the requirements. I had added the following bullets related to schema that were not included in the technical documentation. I asked why and the development team answered with the 2nd set of bullets. If anyone is an expert on schema, can you confirm if the answers are true/correct?
  • local business with areas we serve
  • AutoRepair - Schema.org Type
  • service for types of service we offer, oil change, brakes, auto repair, wheel alignment etc,

developer response
  • The local business schema is handled by the subOrganizations driven by the location entities. The AutomotiveBusiness type is a subtype of LocalBusiness.
  • AutoRepair is a type of AutomotiveBusiness, not a distinct entity in and of itself. We can use it in place of AutomotiveBusiness if you prefer.
  • Service is a schema.org type, but it is not read by any of the major search engines so would not provide any benefit.

What are your desired outcomes on adding the schema? What type of business does the website offer - Auto Repair?

I am hoping to gain some rich results for services. We are a chain of auto service and repair shops that compete with small and multi-unit franchises. I just want to make sure we will follow best practices and use the available options for schema to enhance any SEO that can be gained. Especially since we are creating new sites with a new DXP platform. I was thrown off by the 3rd bullet in their response. and if we don't include it now, I'll most likely test it after we launch, but I'd rather the development team code for it to begin with.

Here are all the schema that Google Search supports for rich results: Structured Data Markup that Google Search Supports | Google Search Central | Documentation | Google for Developers

Service schema is not supported which will not give you any rich results.

They are also right with the chain of Local Business entities - where if you can make it more specific the better: LocalBusiness -> AutomotiveBusiness - >Auto Repair. However, I have seen this installation to be redundant if you have a GBP.

There is another argument for installing schemas not supported by Google. It helps add more context to Google what the page is about which could help with ranking. I have seen this argument but haven't seen a study that it is true. In our agency - we install Service schema as a last priority task. Like - a might as well but not urgent thing.

Hope this helps!

Here are all the schema that Google Search supports for rich results: Structured Data Markup that Google Search Supports | Google Search Central | Documentation | Google for Developers

Service schema is not supported which will not give you any rich results.

They are also right with the chain of Local Business entities - where if you can make it more specific the better: LocalBusiness -> AutomotiveBusiness - >Auto Repair. However, I have seen this installation to be redundant if you have a GBP.

There is another argument for installing schemas not supported by Google. It helps add more context to Google what the page is about which could help with ranking. I have seen this argument but haven't seen a study that it is true. In our agency - we install Service schema as a last priority task. Like - a might as well but not urgent thing.

Hope this helps!

Thank you. I did look at the developer documentation and saw that service wasn't listed prior to posting my question. I think I'll try some tests for it on one or two of the sites after we've been live for a few months and see if it affects ranking/seo/appearance in search.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

Events

LocalU - Navigating GBP Support

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom