More threads by MonicaH

MonicaH

Reaction score
We have a client that provides tree care services but does have an office that people can visit (e.g., to pay their bills). The office is in the same location as their equipment storage yard and is located on the southeast edge of a major city. They have their address showing on their GBP because the office is staffed and open to the public. They rank in the top 3 in their area but, unfortunately, that's not where most of their clients are.

They've asked me whether they should lease a small office in a professional building that's located just to the northeast of the city center (this location is about 30-40 minutes from their current location and is closer to the neighborhoods they most want to target). The office would be staffed by an employee, have its own phone number, be listed on the website, and have a landing page on the website (I'm not sure if there would be signage outside the building - somehow, I doubt it - but they would have a listing on the occupant directory and a sign outside the office).

The point of doing this would be to set up a 2nd GBP to take advantage of proximity to their preferred target area and, hopefully, outrank their major competitors who are located in that area (most of whom are SABs run out of their home but still show their address - I haven't been able to get them removed...).

I'm wondering if this is a good idea or not and am looking for some guidance from the GBP experts in this forum. I haven't been able to find a direct answer in the forum so I'm hoping someone can answer the questions below:

1. My understanding is that Google's TOS would allow that 2nd office as long as it's staffed, has its own phone #, etc. Correct?
2. Are there any reasons why our client should NOT do this or reasons why the GBP listing would not get approved?
3. Anything I should warn them about (I don't want them to sign a lease without knowing what they're getting into!)?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

This sounds like the exact strategy I would recommend for a client that wants to rank in the local packs in another area of the city.

A few other considerations to help google recognize the new location as legitimate
  • Ensure that the new location has clear and visible signage, and upload photos of that signage to the new Google Business Profile.
  • If there will be a reception desk, take photos of the staff at the reception wearing company branded apparel and upload those photos to the listing as well.
  • Consider filming a quick video walkthrough of the new location. Start from the street, show the signage, walk through the door, and greet the staff member.

I agree with both @Colan Nielsen and @whitespark.

The only thing I would add is to make sure the service areas do not overlap between the 2 profiles.

If the have brick and mortar locations ie offices, then they don’t need to use service areas. They need to avoid adding them as they can conflict and could lead to reinstatement issues.

This sounds like the exact strategy I would recommend for a client that wants to rank in the local packs in another area of the city.

A few other considerations to help google recognize the new location as legitimate
  • Ensure that the new location has clear and visible signage, and upload photos of that signage to the new Google Business Profile.
  • If there will be a reception desk, take photos of the staff at the reception wearing company branded apparel and upload those photos to the listing as well.
  • Consider filming a quick video walkthrough of the new location. Start from the street, show the signage, walk through the door, and greet the staff member.

Thank you @whitespark - I hadn't thought of doing a video walkthrough!

If the have brick and mortar locations ie offices, then they don’t need to use service areas. They need to avoid adding them as they can conflict and could lead to reinstatement issues.

@keyserholiday - That's one thing I'm still a little uncertain about.

Are you saying that a company with an office should NOT also list their service area?
Should we remove the service area locations currently shown on the existing GBP listing (both the office address and service area are currently included)?

I know it doesn't affect ranking but the client likes the "pretty map" that shows the outline of the areas they serve. :rolleyes:

@keyserholiday - That's one thing I'm still a little uncertain about.

Are you saying that a company with an office should NOT also list their service area?
Should we remove the service area locations currently shown on the existing GBP listing (both the office address and service area are currently included)?

I know it doesn't affect ranking but the client likes the "pretty map" that shows the outline of the areas they serve. :rolleyes:

Do not remove them from the current business profile. One of 4 things can happen when you edit a GBP.
1. The edit will be published right away
2. The edit will go into pending review
3. The profile will need to be manually verified via a postcard
4. The business profile will get suspended

When you set up the new profile show the address and don't add the service area.
Ps, my laugh was about your client liking the "pretty map".

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom