ChiSkyline

Reaction score
Hi There!

I've never had this happen personally, but thought I'd seem out some insight here.

I've got a friend who's site had a single page fall out of organic search results. She previously showed up #3, but the page itself is no longer indexed. No manual action, but a definite drop in traffic. She did go in and change her title tag, and almost instantly fell out of the search results. It was then changed back, but the visibility was not restored. Nothing else has changed. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

ChiSkyline

Reaction score
Thanks, Scott.

I'm not sure why they changed the title tag other than to experiment.

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
No issues with canonical?

No issues with robots.txt?

No issues with a noindex, nofollow directive on the page itself?

No issues with x meta robots telling Google not to index the page?

Eric Rohrback

Reaction score
Most of the time something like this happens to a single page, it's due to one of the factors Joshua pointed out.

It's always the simple errors like this that mess things up :p

sdynamo

Reaction score
So the problem was caused by canonical issue? And the page has been indexed again to previous position?

I understand all other hints Joshua pointed out but never really grasp how canonical works, or in what situation the tag should be deployed.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Yoast has a great primer on Canonicals.

There's even a rundown of common problems:

There is a multitude of cases out there showing that a wrong rel=canonical implementation can lead to huge issues. I know of several sites that had the canonical on their homepage point to an article and completely lost their home page from the search results. There are more things you shouldn’t do with rel=canonical. Let me list the most important ones... (read the rest)

The core idea though, if there's a few different versions of a page, rel=canonical lets you tell Google which is the 'right' one. The down side, if you use it wrong, you might be telling Google that a given page actually isn't the version you want Google to pay attention to at all, effectively scrubbing the page from the index. That could be what the poster found in this thread's case.

sdynamo

Reaction score
Ah... using Yoast's plugin but never pay attention to its canonical function. :)
Never have the need I guess, always go 301 route.

I have more questions regarding canonical, but will just have it in separate thread. Thanks James!

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Ah... using Yoast's plugin but never pay attention to its canonical function. :)
Never have the need I guess, always go 301 route.

I have more questions regarding canonical, but will just have it in separate thread. Thanks James!

The most prevalent issue people have that I've seen where they need a canonical is with ecommerce pages where products have dynamic URL's created for one product and could have thousands of them. In that case, a canonical makes more sense so you don't have to code 1,000 301's.

Also, media companies should use them when they have republishing rights to an original work of content. In this case they don't want SEO traffic, it's just a good piece of content they want to use to provide more value to their readership.

Those are the two issues I can think of when you would want to use a canonical over a 301.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
JustinB Schema Markup on Single Page Websites? Organic SEO 3
M Review Schema Markup For Single Page Site Local Reviews 6
Jen Currier Is there any advantage, besides a single sign in, to having all clients connected to our GMB account? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
RattlingTram Wild rank variations for plural v singular & same intent single keyword searches Ranking Puzzles 2
NickB-Tampa Listings at single location getting suspended immediately after entering verification codes Google My Business & Google Maps 5
D Multiple Departments at a single address - Automotive Google My Business & Google Maps 4
M Removing Single Practitioner from GMB Account Citations 6
L Link to Single Platform on GMB Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 11
Tony Wang Delete Single Practitioner Listing? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
B Single-City Multi-Location Business Local SEO Multi-Location Issues 4
B Single-City Multi-Location Business Local SEO Multi-Location Issues 4
A Looking for Yext/Synup/Brightlocal/Moz/Single Platform account owners for help Citations 6
S Content Creation strategy for franchises in a single website Local Content 7
S Content Creation strategy for franchises in a single website Local Content 7
C Let's talk listing strategy - multiple brands at a single location Local Search 7
James Watt How to upset every single client at once. If you're a consultant, don't do this. Local Search 12
Vijay Marathe Best name format for single practitioner businesses on local directories other than G Google My Business & Google Maps 6
C How best to handle these Google listings for a single location local business? Help & Support for Google Local 15
K "Suite B" for single location that's two separate businesses? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 6
K "Suite B" for single location that's two separate businesses? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 6
W Promoting single practitioner Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Linda Buquet Pigeon is Partial to City EMDs & PMDs - Every Single Pack Listing has City in Name Google My Business & Google Maps 18
Amber Robinson Single Platform from Constant Contact- Mobile & Social 2
P Claiming multiple unrelated listings with a single Google account - Downsides? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Linda Buquet New Vulnerability Found in Every Single Version of Internet Explorer Marketing 0
Dustybones Should we be using "Single Discriptors" in our business Titles? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
A Single word spam? MALWARE WARNING Hidden java Recycle Bin 4
D A client has 3 verified GMB's across 2 states,with service pages for each location. Should service pages have only their respective locations address? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
k.ivanova Wikipedia page associated with old brand KP Ranking Puzzles 2
Jac Google My business Photos - Uploaded but not reflecting on contribution page Google My Business & Google Maps 3
S Site has higher DA and more backlinks than sites on 1st page and still not on 1st page Local Search 5
djbaxter Core Web Vitals and the Page Experience Update Google Algorithm Discussions 7
Nicole Basham Cons of Removing Second FB Page Profile/"Extra" Twitter account for Local SAB? Mobile & Social 1
E Issues with managing business pages on Facebook Citations 3
NickB-Tampa Should all the phone numbers on the landing page to our GMB listing be included in the structured data? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
NexstarNickR Wikipedia pages Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
N 54 city pages for small business website Local Search 7
ChristianRdz Redirecting a ranking page to another site Organic SEO 4
S What makes a great Home/Landing Page in Local? Local Search 6
sixthcitysarah Anyone know much on in-page PHP coded redirects? Websites, Software, and Security 1
Imperialpest Page Speed and Local / Ranking Question Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 5
A Facebook page rating keeps fluctuating Local Reviews 5
ChristianRdz Page Title & Meta Description On No-Index Pages Organic SEO 9
C Help with service page optimization Organic SEO 20
H For many queries, the home page shows up - not the targetted page Local Search 2
djbaxter Google Page Experience Signals for Ranking Apply Only to Mobile Organic SEO 0
H Home page and create map Google My Business & Google Maps 0
djbaxter Page experience: Now a new Google ranking factor Organic SEO 0
Ben Walsh Near me on page optimization Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 1
C About Us page Local Content 3