More threads by JohnMarathonAir

Reaction score
I just finished stage one of a site redesign, which was just an update of the theme / page builder. I have a lot of content, arguably some that is duplicate (not the same words, but similar ways of explaining the same concepts, like in blog posts). I would like to re-organize my site by deleting & redirecting pages that are thin / arguably duplicates. I think this could help my main pages rank better organically. But the question is -- would deleting & redirecting pages (which would mean reducing my overall page and content volume) lower my local rank? Does anyone have any experience with site redesigns that included deletions and redirects -- and did those affect local rank? I would greatly appreciate any advice if anyone has had experience with this exact issue. Thanks very much!

I would also be interested to hear opinions on the above. My developer recently told me that a client's load time was lagging due to a tremendous amount of redirects compiled over the years. Has anyone else had issues with this?

We have published more than 2,000 blog articles over the last 18 years and are in the process of reviewing them. In my opinion, it's worthwhile to
  • Remove and redirect old posts that are out dated and not getting much traffic.
  • Combining posts that are very similar (unpublish all but one and redirect the other URLs to it)
  • Refresh posts that are older but still getting good traffic.
Google seems to be reducing their crawl bandwidth, so I would rather have 500 (or even fewer) really good articles for Google and human visitors than 2,000 articles of mixed quality

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

Events

LocalU Webinar

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom