rich_marlatt

LocalU Member
Reaction score
Do the number of backlinks from a domain have any impact on local SEO? I am reviewing a competitor's backlink profile and they have 5 links from a local blog. In order to compete do we need to match/exceed the total number of backlinks from a given site or does it suffice to just get a single link from the site?

Solution
@rich_marlatt, I've found that doesn't matter much, because often one hits the point of diminishing return early, but under a few circumstances having multiple links from the same domain can help:

1. Relevance: if the site is relevant to your local area or your industry (or both), the link probably helps you to one degree or another.

2. Varying the target URLs. Having all the links point to the same URL on your site won't help you as much as getting links from that site to a few high-priority page on your site. That means, for one thing, that you probably won't want all the links pointing to blog posts and the like. Make sure the homepage gets one, along with maybe a couple of "service" pages (if possible).

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
@rich_marlatt, I've found that doesn't matter much, because often one hits the point of diminishing return early, but under a few circumstances having multiple links from the same domain can help:

1. Relevance: if the site is relevant to your local area or your industry (or both), the link probably helps you to one degree or another.

2. Varying the target URLs. Having all the links point to the same URL on your site won't help you as much as getting links from that site to a few high-priority page on your site. That means, for one thing, that you probably won't want all the links pointing to blog posts and the like. Make sure the homepage gets one, along with maybe a couple of "service" pages (if possible).

3. Having at least one of the links point to your GMB landing page URL (usually the homepage). That's especially helpful if you're focused on Google Maps / 3-pack / GMB rankings, but of course there's benefit to your organic rankings.

So I wouldn't say that you'll outrank your competitors if they get 5 of the same links from the same site and you get 6 of the same links. But if you can change up the target URLs and work some "money" pages in there, you'll have an advantage.

Solution
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Barb Davids Phone number not local area code Moving or Name Changes 2
NevenaIvanova Additional Phone Number in GMB dashboard Google My Business & Google Maps 1
walkities Multi Location Using Same Phone Number? Local Search 2
NickB-Tampa Should all the phone numbers on the landing page to our GMB listing be included in the structured data? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
FriarTuck00 Question Regarding GMB Listings and Phone Numbers Multi-Location Issues 3
Jason_Parks1 How Should I Structure Suite Numbers with a New Office? Moving or Name Changes 1
M Can I Use Google Voice for Google My Business Phone Number? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
J Changing phone number on individual location GMBs NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
A Diminishing Returns on Number of Reviews? Local Reviews 6
LaurenHoward Mobile SERPs showing wrong phone number on GMB NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 4
R Schema markup and dynamic tracking numbers Google My Business & Google Maps 3
bryanrainey GMB Phone Number for Franchises NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 5
B Can't change the telephone number in the GMB account Google My Business & Google Maps 2
W Incorrect Phone Number NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
L Apple Maps With Call Tracking Number On Website Citations 4
mihir23192 What could have caused the sudden jump in Number of Google Reviews? 50 to 3500 Help & Support for Google Local 2
ganapathy Default Google Ads Extension Phone Number (Advanced information section) in GMB Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 2
TriciaClements Business Phone Number Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Ryan Steinolfson Practitioner's Page - Using a Cell Phone number for the listing Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Tim Colling What to do when you've verified your phone number for too many Google accounts? Google My Business & Google Maps 8
freerunr GMB Guidelines: phone number must be under the direct control of the business Google My Business & Google Maps 2
shripadd Some one doing daily edit to primary phone number Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Gsmithmike Random Number In Sitemap: Is that Okay? Organic SEO 2
NevenaIvanova Can shared phone number lead to listing suspension? Google My Business & Google Maps 11
V Local Services Ad: Does using a different phone number in local services ad effect the organic ranking for my site Paid Search and Local Service Ads 5
JoshuaMackens GMB Ads - Call Tracking Phone Number Paid Search and Local Service Ads 6
E Maximum number of listings per account Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 1
FriarTuck00 Google Keeps Changing Phone Number on Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 5
rickvidallon Google Not Updating Number of Reviews Local Reviews 2
J Correcting a Number on FB Local Content 7
J Using the phone number of the previous local business Citations 5
FriarTuck00 Big Jump in Number of Google Reviews - Why? Local Reviews 3
E Maximum number of listings per account Google My Business & Google Maps 4
erickseo Does having a tracking phone number as primary instead of our regular phone number hurt ranking? Local Search 13
EmilyW Yellow Pages: change phone number to claim? Local Search 3
K Customer wants to add a tracking number across all of his Citations NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
Tim Colling Why register a domain name with your toll free number? Organic SEO 5
L Big Drop in the number of new reviews made by customers Local Reviews 1
S Same phone number for different location Local Search 8
R Total number of reviews and ratings not displaying in knowledge panel Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Marissa Does GMB Secondary Phone Number Show Up Anywhere? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
rhull GMB listing numbers tanked Google My Business & Google Maps 14
D Multiple locations on GMB with the same Name and Phone Number NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 5
BrianMacKenzie Variations in Number of SERPs Above the Map Pack Local Search 0
R Tracking numbers for local service company Citations 4
Gsmithmike What to do if the main business number is 888, which is toll free? Local Search 5
M Including tracking number when you submit to data aggregators? Ex. BrightLocal NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
wideangle SEO implications of call tracking numbers on a local directory site Citations 19
Tim Colling How to tell which GMB listing a case number refers to? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Mathew Coghlan Best / cheapest provider to set up multiple phone numbers Google My Business & Google Maps 3