More threads by rich_marlatt

rich_marlatt

LocalU Member
Reaction score
Do the number of backlinks from a domain have any impact on local SEO? I am reviewing a competitor's backlink profile and they have 5 links from a local blog. In order to compete do we need to match/exceed the total number of backlinks from a given site or does it suffice to just get a single link from the site?

Solution
@rich_marlatt, I've found that doesn't matter much, because often one hits the point of diminishing return early, but under a few circumstances having multiple links from the same domain can help:

1. Relevance: if the site is relevant to your local area or your industry (or both), the link probably helps you to one degree or another.

2. Varying the target URLs. Having all the links point to the same URL on your site won't help you as much as getting links from that site to a few high-priority page on your site. That means, for one thing, that you probably won't want all the links pointing to blog posts and the like. Make sure the homepage gets one, along with maybe a couple of "service" pages (if possible).

3. Having at...
@rich_marlatt, I've found that doesn't matter much, because often one hits the point of diminishing return early, but under a few circumstances having multiple links from the same domain can help:

1. Relevance: if the site is relevant to your local area or your industry (or both), the link probably helps you to one degree or another.

2. Varying the target URLs. Having all the links point to the same URL on your site won't help you as much as getting links from that site to a few high-priority page on your site. That means, for one thing, that you probably won't want all the links pointing to blog posts and the like. Make sure the homepage gets one, along with maybe a couple of "service" pages (if possible).

3. Having at least one of the links point to your GMB landing page URL (usually the homepage). That's especially helpful if you're focused on Google Maps / 3-pack / GMB rankings, but of course there's benefit to your organic rankings.

So I wouldn't say that you'll outrank your competitors if they get 5 of the same links from the same site and you get 6 of the same links. But if you can change up the target URLs and work some "money" pages in there, you'll have an advantage.

Solution

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom