Reaction score
I have a client (Business A) that has bought another business in the same vertical (Business B.) Business B has good website with good SEO results. The plan is to shut down the website of Business B and integrate their location into Business A's website. Beyond updating citations to point to the correct URL and redirecting all pages from Business B's website to the equivalent in Business A's website, does anyone have suggestions to maximize Business B's current SEO results?

HoosierBuff

Reaction score
You want to do a formal change of address in Google WMT. Also, I would keep the GMB listing for the old location as long as possible - proximity is so important to search, and this gives them extra reach.

Yan Gilbert

Administrator
Local Search Expert
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Something to think about... will Biz B's name be anywhere on Biz A's site? Not sure how many branded links are coming into Biz B, but after the switch it might confuse people if they expect to land on a Biz B page and the page loads a different company. With that in mind, if there are strong Biz B brand mentions out there, you could try to contact those site owners to get those updated.

Reaction score
Yan,

Yes, there will be a location page for Biz B on Biz A.s site I was thinking that I should redirect most, if not all of Biz B's pages to the location page on Biz A. If I include redirecting the root URL of BizB to the Locations page o Biz A's site, that should help Biz B in local search and organic search I would think.

Thoughts?

Yan Gilbert

Administrator
Local Search Expert
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
That makes sense. And the old service type pages would best be redirected to the appropriate page on Biz A site, like you originally said. I have not done a migration like this before but in general it sounds right.

I am sure some others will bring up further elements to be aware of as well.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Jo Shaer Webmaster Tools to Google My Business Success Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Colan Nielsen Re: Setting Your Local SEO Business Up for Success Recycle Bin 0
Linda Buquet Setting Your Local SEO Business Up for Success Consultant's Corner 5
Gordon.Ligon SAB stuck in Pending after successful Post Card Verification 2+ months ago Service Area Businesses 2
Nicole Basham Success Having Multiple GMB Offers Up Simultaneously? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
T Has anyone had success reporting schema spam to google? Spam on Google 5
Lachlan_Wells Have you successfully removed an off-topic review? Local Reviews 6
M Anyone here doing CPA Marketing with success? Marketing 0
T Finding Joy and Success in Real Estate Recycle Bin 0
Brian Bender Any success removing former and/or disgruntled employees' negative reviews? Local Reviews 8
georgebizpro What have been your most successful marketing method for landing new SEO clients? Consultant's Corner 1
M Spam Re: Conrad Saam on How to Run a Successful Local Marketing Agency Recycle Bin 0
Linda Buquet 9 Local SEO Experts Share 1 Secret to Local Search Success - Search Engine Journal Consultant's Corner 2
Priya Chandra What Julia Child's wire whisk can teach you about Local Search success Local Search 4
JoyHawkins Have You Had Success Reporting GMB Spam Google My Business & Google Maps 11
CodyBaird Angie's List Paid Advertising: How much monthly? Any success with dental clients Marketing 1
H What is your success rate with clients Consultant's Corner 4
Dustybones Great Local SEO Is About Great Marketing: 16 Ideas To Success Local Search 1
Linda Buquet Scratch that Niche! Focus on a Niche for Local Search Success Consultant's Corner 6
K Re: Building Reviews for Local Search Success - Free InsideLocal Webinar Recycle Bin 0
Linda Buquet Five (5) Under-Appreciated Sources for Local Link Building Success by LSEO Local Search 4
Linda Buquet How to Have a Successful Local SEO Campaign in 2015 - By Casey Meraz @ Moz Local Search 0
O Any success with keeping reviews.. Moving or Name Changes 7
onebluesummer Any success with keeping reviews.. Moving or Name Changes 7
Linda Buquet 5 Keys to Local Search Success - By Rand Fishkin - Local U Advanced Local Search 1
Dustybones Your Local SEO is a success. Now what? Local Search 0
Linda Buquet 3 Successful Google+ Local Page Examples, iAcqure Blog Google My Business & Google Maps 1
L Blueprint for Multi-Location Local SEO Success Multi-Location Issues 0
Linda Buquet Blueprint for Multi-Location Local SEO Success Multi-Location Issues 0
Linda Buquet Local Ranking Blueprint - Prioritize for Success - Darren Shaw @SearchLove Local Search 0
V Dexknows Local citation source add listing success Local Search 13
Linda Buquet Local SEO Simplified - 5 Essential Tactics for Success Local Search 1
Linda Buquet Video is Live! Build Reviews for Local Search Success Webinar Local Reviews 1
M Share your local SEO success as inspiration for others Local Search 1
L Tracking Success Consultant's Corner 0
Linda Buquet Local SEO S.A.L.S.A. Recipe - Great Recipe for Success Local Search 2
Linda Buquet Local SEO Roadmap to Success - Research to Boost Rankings Local Search 5
Linda Buquet Local in 2013: What to Focus on for Success Local Search 1
David Fesler For the Sake of Sanity - Setting Clients up for Future Success Consultant's Corner 12
MiriamEllis What Would Success In Local Mean To You? Local Search 8
stankolev What is the maximum number of categories single Google My Business listing can have? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
Don Archer Google business listing with 482 Real Review Missing. How do I get them back? Help & Support for Google Local 2
hannahmoen "Work" Replacing Business Name on GMB for Business Owner Help & Support for Google Local 3
Jeffrey Taylor Adding a new category to Google my Business Google My Business & Google Maps 4
BekahBerry Multiple service providers with separate books of business, sharing one office, under one company name - What is the best approach to avoid filtering? Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 8
koji Local business with online nationwide services in a post-corona world Google Local 101 5
RobbertKleijwegt Q&A vanished after adding Products to business profile Google My Business & Google Maps 5
djbaxter Google My Business Bug Dropping SAB Businesses In Independence, Kansas Service Area Businesses 1
rickvidallon How Do You Access The Buttons In Google My Business For Online Services? Local Search 4
NevenaIvanova Removing off-topic reviews posted before the business started operation Local Reviews 8