Les Zeppelin

Reaction score
Hi,

I hope this isn't too confusing.

To explain, we are a business which is almost split in half into two complimentary (but distinctly separate) services.

Without getting too specific, we offer services to the elderly community so one half of our business focuses on services to do with hearing (such as providing hearing aids and tests) and the other half is aimed at providing products and services to help aid with mobility and independence around the home (such as stairlifts, wheelchairs etc).

We have 15 branches so I have done the usual multi-location strategy, which is to build out location specific pages for each branch, link the G pages to the branch pages and adding and tidying citations for each one.

Up until now I have been focusing on the mobility side of the business (including having this as my primary category in G Business), but I have now been asked to instead target terms for the hearing side.

I'm looking for advice on what to be wary of, how to set this up and what risks I might encounter here.

Is there any way of targeting both main keywords on one location page?

If not, one idea I had is to split the shop pages down to their respective services.

For example, my url string currently looks like this:

brandname.com/shops/locationpage

I was thinking of changing it to this:

brandname.com/shops/location/hearing-aids
brandname.com/shops/location/mobility-aids

The problem with this is I'm forced to link only one of them to the G page.

Should I then set-up a 301 to re-direct from brandname.com/shops/locationpage to brandname.com/shops/location/hearing to transfer and maintain the page authority to this page?

If I do that, I know we will probably drop away for mobility related terms. I know that there is obviously no guarantee that we will come up for hearing related terms as well.

I've just done a search for each branch for its secondary category, which is 'hearing aid shop' + location and 8 of them either get a 1 box (I think that's what it's called...we are top of organic listings with a flyout on the right with our business details in a box) or we are in the top 3 local listings, which is good.

We don't come up much in organic listings though (which are full of directories, big national brands and slightly smaller operators/competitors but who have a laser focus on hearing).

Annoyingly 4 of our branches are in 4th position in local listings.

The other 3 are a bit lower down.

It's hard to work out much of rhyme or reason to some listings though.

For example, this branch appears in 8th place and these are the businesses located above it (apologies for the ugliness of the MS paint spraycan hatchet job!)

Joe2eVP.png

There we are underneath all of those branches with a more 'hearing' focused primary Google business category.

Of course, their pages and citations will also be more hearing-centric than us as well.

However, here is another branch of ours with the same primary category sitting at the top!

pvvdA7y.png

The only difference between the two pages is there is not a dedicated 'hearing' paragraph in the first example, just a quick mention. The one at the top has slightly more text on our hearing services.

However again, for this branch below the location is a major city and I have written nearly a 1000 words about our hearing aid services in this area and we come fourth:

rAkmDbP.png

I think for this last example we come fourth not only because our main G category doesn't match but also because we are quite a distance from the centre of town compared to the top 3.

We get the business box/one box/knowledge box if you search for hearing aid shop+the area of the city, so maybe 4th is the best that this branch could actually ever get.

Do you think that I should try and simply add more hearing-centric content to all of the location pages, change the page title/h1's slightly, build up more citations on hearing focused pages/directories and then see if the needle moves?

Or am I forced to only focus on one service only and change the url structure and build out dedicated service pages for each of the branch pages and be forced to choose only one side of the business to focus on. The fact that you have to have a 'primary' category does seem to suggest this.

Has anyone else had to deal with a business like this which is almost like two businesses in one?

Many thanks for any help!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
F Swapping Domains on Google My Business Listing - Risky? Local Search 0
lkimball GMB Automatically Swapping Location Information Multi-Location Issues 8
JoshuaMackens Dynamic Number Swapping (Call Tracking) Being Crawled By Google On Website Local Search 20
djbaxter Face swap Yelper Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 4
J Swapping locations with a competitor Moving or Name Changes 8
johncrenshaw Swapping locations with a competitor Moving or Name Changes 8
stankolev What is the maximum number of categories single Google My Business listing can have? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
Don Archer Google business listing with 482 Real Review Missing. How do I get them back? Help & Support for Google Local 2
hannahmoen "Work" Replacing Business Name on GMB for Business Owner Help & Support for Google Local 3
Jeffrey Taylor Adding a new category to Google my Business Google My Business & Google Maps 4
BekahBerry Multiple service providers with separate books of business, sharing one office, under one company name - What is the best approach to avoid filtering? Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 8
koji Local business with online nationwide services in a post-corona world Google Local 101 5
RobbertKleijwegt Q&A vanished after adding Products to business profile Google My Business & Google Maps 5
djbaxter Google My Business Bug Dropping SAB Businesses In Independence, Kansas Service Area Businesses 1
rickvidallon How Do You Access The Buttons In Google My Business For Online Services? Local Search 4
NevenaIvanova Removing off-topic reviews posted before the business started operation Local Reviews 8
N What category should be selected for such business in GMB? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
JoyHawkins Get Live Inventory Displayed on Your Google My Business Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 9
Niki Business category does not support more hours Help & Support for Google Local 3
TriciaClements 3 Businesses - how to handle GMB listings for SAB? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Matt Chauhan Opinion on entering service areas within the GMB dashboard for Brick and Mortar Businesses NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
krystaltaing Google My Business Bulk Verification Limit Reached? Multi-Location Issues 0
RobertCarnitas GMB Spam for 'Located In' business - Does it affect the GMB listing for the business that is located inside it? Spam on Google 3
D Local Services and Google my Business Paid Search and Local Service Ads 2
Rich Owings Google community challenge to update 100,000 businesses Google My Business & Google Maps 0
R What steps should I take to get my suspended and denied Google My business approved? Help & Support for Google Local 1
Jac Google My business Photos - Uploaded but not reflecting on contribution page Google My Business & Google Maps 3
AndySimpson Google My Business Opening Date - What Date Should You Use? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Jason_Parks1 Years in Business (Misleading) - Thoughts? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Matt Chauhan How to deal with a business merger? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
dateinadash SAB location no longer appears next to my business Service Area Businesses 1
NevenaIvanova Need help with business detail update of a Chinese business Local Search 3
S Old Listing Hijacked by another business Spam on Google 2
djbaxter Google Maps Removed 55M Reviews & 3M Fake Business Profiles Spam on Google 4
L Does selecting a service area for hidden address business have negative effects? Moving or Name Changes 1
E Issues with managing business pages on Facebook Citations 3
S How to remove a GMB from maps of a previous owner who ran 3 businesses from the same address Google My Business & Google Maps 6
P How to reclassify a business as a SAB? Service Area Businesses 8
buzzrank Home inspector business category not available in Canada, but local competitors have NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
C Fake google reviews on google my business Contact Us Messages 2
K GMB Adding Old Business Name & Putting True Name in Parathesis Only In English Browser Google My Business & Google Maps 1
U Google showing location of Service Area Business Service Area Businesses 2
Lluc Google launches Years in Business in Search Google My Business & Google Maps 3
FriarTuck00 Best Practice for a Business that is Still Operational but Everyone Works Remotely? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
lincolnchan What to do when one business acquires another and moves into their location? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Stef Kiley Temp closed business ranking higher in local pack Help & Support for Google Local 2
NickB-Tampa How can I unsync Google My Business from my Bing Places listings? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
F Turkish post: Google My Business local seo Recycle Bin 0
Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR Two Different Business Places at the Same Address: Should I Add Them to GMB? Local Search 1
DangGood Google Maps, Years in Business Google My Business & Google Maps 4