HangTenSEO

Reaction score
So I have a client that is switching their domain name. The have over 100K visitors a month.

What are things to look out for when doing the switch.

Obviously doing 301 redirects to the new domain structure?

Anything else?

Eric Rohrback

Reaction score
You should to do a backlink audit. Every redirect will lose a little value for the new page, so it might be worth updating the important (high value) backlinks.

301 redirects... updating backlinks/social profiles... updating destination URLs in ads (if applicable)... Update search console and update any tracking tools. I think there's more but it's early and I need more coffee

Margaret Ornsby

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
There are loads of things to watch out for!

One that gets lots of folks is remembering to register the www and non-www versions of a domain with Search Console. And if the domain is https, make sure you register all 4 (http and https, with www and non-www).

Also check the site settings are all aligned (preferred URL display) in SC.

On the website (if it's using a CMS), make sure the URL reflects what you've configured as the preferred display in SC.

And finally, check your Analytics domain is the same as the preferred URL display.

mborgelt

Reaction score
One thing I strongly recommend doing is completing the "Change of Address" procedure in GSC.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
T Old Marketing Company Switches Us To Site Managers Google My Business & Google Maps 2
B GMB switching out UTM URLs Google My Business & Google Maps 2
W Offsite changes to make after switching to SSL Google My Business & Google Maps 35
Rich Owings Will switching from SAB to address shown result in reverification? Service Area Businesses 1
Rich Owings Switching from service area business to address Help & Support for Google Local 4
RICKDO Switched to business area and went so BAD! Service Area Businesses 3
A Switching to a SAB? Service Area Businesses 2
mattheffner Switch the Primary Category? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 7
JoyHawkins Who is Switching to Wordpress 5.0? Websites, Software, and Security 13
Tim Colling Google My Business Agency Dashboard - Is it worth switching yet? Google My Business & Google Maps 15
juliaannCA Google on Switching to HTTPS: No rush to reindex Recycle Bin 0
djbaxter Google on Switching to HTTPS: No rush to reindex Organic SEO 0
FriarTuck00 Google Switching Phone Numbers in GMB Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 37
djbaxter SugarRae Hoffman on switching her WordPress site to https Organic SEO 5
D Derek- Switching from Niche Sites to Local SEO Introduce Yourself - We're Friendly 6
Linda Buquet New Google Local Option - Switch Place Page Over to a G+ Brand Page Google My Business & Google Maps 41
carltonrsmith Switching Location of Service Area Business Help & Support for Google Local 7
Colan Nielsen We Have Submitted Our Client To Over 100 Directories, Time To Switch Gears. Citations 9
Keenan Glass 500 error when switching to manage a verified +Page Google My Business & Google Maps 19
Linda Buquet WARNING Google Switching your Client Images to Another Company's Name? PENALTY? Local Search 22
C Switching from hide address to show address Help & Support for Google Local 2
A Pointing SEO friendly domain to old domain and its effect on GMB ranking? Local Search 4
djbaxter Google: Moz Spam Score, Domain Authority Does Not Impact Google Rankings Organic SEO 1
Dana Franks Rankings crash after new site - is it the domain? Organic SEO 3
hajnasiewicz Issues with multiple domain redirects to one domain? Websites, Software, and Security 4
djbaxter Google: We Still Use PageRank. We do not use Domain Authority. Organic SEO 0
H Two GMB Locations One Website = Two DNS Domains? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
U Spam / Scam .it domains and sub domains flooding Google results pages Spam on Google 6
Tim Colling Why register a domain name with your toll free number? Organic SEO 5
Conor Treacy Google showing only domain name in results (when not logged in) Local Search 2
H Biz with a product specific domain - should they have two sites? Local Search 2
djbaxter The Truth About Domain Authority Organic SEO 0
djbaxter Age of domain name or content irrelevant to Google ranking Organic SEO 4
Justin Mosebach GrubHub is buying web domains for the restaurants it lists Websites, Software, and Security 1
djbaxter Preferred Domain in Google Search Console deprecated Google News: Important Changes & Features 4
georgebizpro Google June Broad Core Update Case Study: Keyword-rich domains back on the rise? Google Algorithm Discussions 2
S How to get a DNS-verified Search Console domain to connect with Google Analytics? Organic SEO 3
georgebizpro Redirect https domain to another https website Organic SEO 11
Fairlane Problems/Delays Getting New Referring Domains/Backlinks Indexed Local Search 1
Dana Franks Parked domains generating thousands of links Spam on Google 3
Gsmithmike Sub Domain or Sub Category for Location pages? Local Search 1
N Not displaying anymore on Google Maps unless domain name (business name) Google My Business & Google Maps 3
P Really long business & domain name with articles in it, what should we do? Local Search 5
djbaxter Google: There is no SEO advantage to keyword domains Organic SEO 6
djbaxter EU to cancel UK owned .eu domains Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 0
F Multiple domains..The only logical way for multiple sab's? Service Area Businesses 5
F Multiple domains..The only logical way for multiple sab's? Service Area Businesses 5
djbaxter Google: Domain Authority is not a ranking signal Organic SEO 3
djbaxter Preparing for Brexit: UK webmasters will have to give up .eu domains Organic SEO 0
M Another Business Using Client's Domain On Twitter Mobile & Social 2