Rich Owings

Local Search Expert
LocalU Member
Reaction score
I know people have ran into issues with clearing their address triggering a reverification when changing to an SAB, but what about the other direction? Will switching from a service area business to showing the address cause a reverification?

Here's the situation:
  • Client has a walking tour business
  • Customers don't typically come to his office, but it is staffed and open to the public
  • They currently hide their address but I want to get a "book now"" button in the Knowledge Panel and it appears that you can't do that with SAB's
I just don't want to screw anything up for him. These recent GMB suspensions have me gun shy. It doesn't bode well for local SEOs when we have to be afraid of making changes to listings!

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
I know people have ran into issues with clearing their address triggering a reverification when changing to an SAB, but what about the other direction? Will switching from a service area business to showing the address cause a reverification?

Here's the situation:
  • Client has a walking tour business
  • Customers don't typically come to his office, but it is staffed and open to the public
  • They currently hide their address but I want to get a "book now"" button in the Knowledge Panel and it appears that you can't do that with SAB's
I just don't want to screw anything up for him. These recent GMB suspensions have me gun shy. It doesn't bode well for local SEOs when we have to be afraid of making changes to listings!

Hi Rich, yes it will likely trigger a verification. But if the listing is eligible than you don't have anything to worry about. I'd be curious to know what kind of impact, if any, adding the address back has. Can you keep us in the loop?

Rich Owings

Local Search Expert
LocalU Member
Reaction score
Thanks @Colan Nielsen. So if it triggers a reverification, it will still show in search results, they just won't be able to edit the listing till completing the verification, right?

I'm curious why you're curious. :) Do you suspect that it might boost or reduce traffic?

I'm going to run this by the business owner for approval, and if he gives me the okay, I'll let you know how it goes.

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Thanks @Colan Nielsen. So if it triggers a reverification, it will still show in search results, they just won't be able to edit the listing till completing the verification, right?

That's what should happen, yes.

The reason I am curious is because this scenario is less common (in my experience) than the reverse scenario where you remove the address. There was a case I saw several years ago where un-hiding the address had a positive impact on ranking.

Yan Gilbert

Administrator
Local Search Expert
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
I had a listing trigger verification when adding a address, and one that did not. The one that did, needed a complete reverification and I was unable to answer reviews etc during the time period that it took the new PIN postcard to arrive. It showed up in Google during that time (with the claim this listing label).

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
carltonrsmith Switching Location of Service Area Business Help & Support for Google Local 7
T Old Marketing Company Switches Us To Site Managers Google My Business & Google Maps 2
B GMB switching out UTM URLs Google My Business & Google Maps 2
W Offsite changes to make after switching to SSL Google My Business & Google Maps 35
Rich Owings Will switching from SAB to address shown result in reverification? Service Area Businesses 1
RICKDO Switched to business area and went so BAD! Service Area Businesses 3
A Switching to a SAB? Service Area Businesses 2
mattheffner Switch the Primary Category? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 7
JoyHawkins Who is Switching to Wordpress 5.0? Websites, Software, and Security 13
Tim Colling Google My Business Agency Dashboard - Is it worth switching yet? Google My Business & Google Maps 15
juliaannCA Google on Switching to HTTPS: No rush to reindex Recycle Bin 0
djbaxter Google on Switching to HTTPS: No rush to reindex Organic SEO 0
FriarTuck00 Google Switching Phone Numbers in GMB Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 37
HangTenSEO Switching Domain names Consultant's Corner 3
djbaxter SugarRae Hoffman on switching her WordPress site to https Organic SEO 5
D Derek- Switching from Niche Sites to Local SEO Introduce Yourself - We're Friendly 6
Linda Buquet New Google Local Option - Switch Place Page Over to a G+ Brand Page Google My Business & Google Maps 41
Colan Nielsen We Have Submitted Our Client To Over 100 Directories, Time To Switch Gears. Citations 9
Keenan Glass 500 error when switching to manage a verified +Page Google My Business & Google Maps 19
Linda Buquet WARNING Google Switching your Client Images to Another Company's Name? PENALTY? Local Search 22
C Switching from hide address to show address Help & Support for Google Local 2
D A client has 3 verified GMB's across 2 states,with service pages for each location. Should service pages have only their respective locations address? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
NexstarNickR Book Online option for Home Services All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 5
rickvidallon How Do You Access The Buttons In Google My Business For Online Services? Local Search 4
hajnasiewicz GMB repeatedly changing Health & Safety and Service Options Local Content 6
FriarTuck00 "Hours or Services May Differ" Google My Business & Google Maps 1
B Rebranding: same services, same team, same address, new name, new URL Moving or Name Changes 9
D Can you set an end-date for Local Services Ads? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
Matt Chauhan Opinion on entering service areas within the GMB dashboard for Brick and Mortar Businesses NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
Barb Davids Ad fraud with Local Service Ads? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 6
D Local Services and Google my Business Paid Search and Local Service Ads 2
M Google Local Services Ads - Lack of Leads Paid Search and Local Service Ads 14
Mike Yem Remove 3rd party messaging service All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
harmony How Does Google Choose Service Options in a Review? Local Reviews 6
abbiebeltran Google Reviews Now Have 'Service-Testimonial-Tags' at the Top Local Reviews 1
S Local Services Ads - Fake Reviews Local Reviews 1
L Does selecting a service area for hidden address business have negative effects? Moving or Name Changes 1
U Google showing location of Service Area Business Service Area Businesses 2
mikepetersonwi Products and Services for Insurance Agency NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
Y Editing Service Areas Service Area Businesses 8
K Google & Google Users Removing Items From Service Menu Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Wary Goose Anyone used the Business Banking Service GMB Category in the U.S. yet? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 5
Colan Nielsen NEW Google My Business is Testing "Services" Justifications Google News: Important Changes & Features 6
swmaher Reporting Spamming Service Area Businesses Spam on Google 6
rutkap Youtube video laying out the biggest problem in locksmith services Spam on Google 2
djbaxter Online Conference Pubcon Local Services Marketing Conference, January 20-21, 2021 Events 3
L Local Service Ad for Attorney Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
djbaxter Google services down Dec 14, 2020: Google Ads, Google Analytics, Search Console, more Google News: Important Changes & Features 1
Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR GMB Listing Services and Products Local Search 6
H Map Pack Ads for Service Area Business Google My Business & Google Maps 4