leves

Reaction score
Ive got a company's site ranking in the top 3 local pack for its "industry term + city" (eg. locksmith in london) (not the actual term)

I happen to be located near to the company so my guess is when i search for "industry term + city" im getting a skewed search.

This is ok, as it shows local people searching for the business will be able to find it, but the business works city wide, so we also want it to rank there.

Ive done some testing using a VPN service and when searching My Location whilst connected to the VPN i can try and get a feeling for where google will think i am.

It seems when i place myself outside of the city and do the same search the company shows up in the top 3 local pack, but my guess is if i was in another neighborhood of the city the local skew would change again, and place someone who is geographicly closer to the searcher above us, thus knocking us out of the 3 pack.

Is there a better way to tell if this is happening than using a VPN and checking my VPN's location using My Location ?

JacobMaslow

Reaction score
Re: Testing local packing rankings as if searched from another neighborhood of the ci

I would recommend this new tool from Bright local

https://www.brightlocal.com/local-search-results-checker/

Searching KW + city doesnt make sense for large cities. With the above tool, you can use the zip code of the office.

Also if you use KW + city, you are artificially boosting anything with the city/keyword in the URL.

willieaames

Reaction score
Re: Testing local packing rankings as if searched from another neighborhood of the ci

Same happened to me, when i was connected to malaysian vpn, my business listing shown in KL (as number 6) but when i changed my IP to the UK, it was at number 9 :/

JacobMaslow

Reaction score

Another issue is that most searchers are more likely to enter without a Geo modifier.

You can use tools such as Google Adwords tool for your area.

Using a Geo modifier can artificially inflate a EMD or even partial EMD.

If there is a site kalamazoolocksmith and you search "locksmith kalamazoo" they are more likely to show up higher in that search than a search without modifiers.

People specifically looking for their website are likely to enter kalamazoolocksmith or with a space into their browsers. So if that site isnt thin and has some links, it is likely to do much better for that narrow set of keywords.

Eric Rohrback

Reaction score

I would recommend sticking to Bright Local's tool. The alternative is modifying the URL to remove personalization and setting the location code parameter (http://yoast-mercury.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/2007/07/google-url-parameters.pdf). It's easier to use Bright Local's tool since they already coded the output for you :)

JacobMaslow

Reaction score

I second Eric. Bright Local's tool is quick, free and convenient. Additionally they added a lot more proxies recently.

I would recommend sticking to Bright Local's tool. The alternative is modifying the URL to remove personalization and setting the location code parameter (http://yoast-mercury.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/2007/07/google-url-parameters.pdf). It's easier to use Bright Local's tool since they already coded the output for you :)

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
Reaction score

Hey Jacob, you mentioned using zip codes should improve ranking accuracy. Did you mean in the search bar along with the keyword or setting the Google search location by zip code?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Linda Buquet NO Reviews or Stars In The New Local 3 Pack - Yet Another Google Test? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Linda Buquet Google Testing New Local Brand 3 Packs - Good News & Bad News Google My Business & Google Maps 8
DanLeibson Google Testing New Paid Home Services Local Pack Paid Search and Local Service Ads 10
Linda Buquet Monetizing Local - Google Testing New Paid Ads that Look Like a Pack - From #SMX Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Dustybones Google Continues Testing Local Pack Results Local Search 1
Linda Buquet Google Testing Paid Local Shopping Ads with a Map Pack? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
BenFisher Google Testing Posts and Description Position in Local Finder. Google My Business & Google Maps 2
CaseyMeraz Click Test Study on The Local Finder // How Users Decide Where to Click Local Search 4
Linda Buquet Google Local Business Cards with Posts In Search Results - Testing 1 2 3 Google My Business & Google Maps 7
jnui Would anyone like to test my json-ld schema generator for local stores? Google My Business & Google Maps 0
C Google Testing New Local SERP Format? Google My Business & Google Maps 8
K Google Testing 100% Pay-To-Play Nearby Local Business Ads At Top of SERPs Paid Search and Local Service Ads 20
Linda Buquet Images in the Local SERPs - 2 More New Google Local Displays Being Tested Google My Business & Google Maps 15
Linda Buquet Another Local SERP Display Change or Test - Reported by Colan Today Google My Business & Google Maps 12
Linda Buquet Google Testing Local Click to Chat via Hangouts Google My Business & Google Maps 2
AarthiD Moz Local Search Expert Test Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 7
Linda Buquet New Google Local Display Layout - Being Tested? Replacing Carousel??? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Linda Buquet Whoa. Google Local SERPS Map Drop - Is this a Test or a Glitch? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Scott Rawlins Google Testing Moving Directional Local Info Panel Back into Search Results Local Search 0
Eric Rohrback Google Local Page Layout - Another Test or Update? Google My Business & Google Maps 39
A test Admin Stuff 1
djbaxter Testing new noindex and force redirect custom addon by TickTackk Admin Stuff 0
Colan Nielsen NEW Google My Business is Testing "Services" Justifications Google News: Important Changes & Features 6
B SEO A/B Testing is possible... And it is easier than you think Recycle Bin 0
pbarnhart Google Maps Test - USPS cross-referencing for deliverability Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Greg Bernhardt GSC live test blocked resources with "Other Error" label Organic SEO 2
djbaxter Speed Test for WordPress sites Websites, Software, and Security 1
djbaxter Postcol bbcode test Admin Stuff 0
djbaxter NEW Testing the new scheduled post feature Forum Tech Support 0
djbaxter NEW Testing a scheduled post/thread Admin Stuff 0
Michael Ferrari Inconsistencies with COVID testing info Google My Business & Google Maps 4
djbaxter Testing smilies and emojis Admin Stuff 0
ganapathy Test Error: Page Load Timeout Forum Tech Support 2
Andrew Scherer Google's Structured Data Testing Tool axed... Bing's Alternative Local Search 1
diptimayee Google Rich Results Test Tool Is Out Of Beta Google News: Important Changes & Features 0
AndySimpson Probably just a test BUT....GMB carousel on Google Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 3
abbiebeltran COVID-19 Testing Center Attributes on GMB Listings Local Search 3
S Covid Test Info in GMB page Google My Business & Google Maps 2
djbaxter Testing twitter embed Admin Stuff 1
djbaxter Testing browser OS addon Admin Stuff 0
djbaxter Test Admin Stuff 0
djbaxter Testing target bbcode Admin Stuff 1
djbaxter Testing dofollow bbcode Admin Stuff 0
djbaxter Test Admin Stuff 0
djbaxter Testing title control Admin Stuff 0
C Duplicate test in Descriptions Google My Business & Google Maps 1
djbaxter Testing code addon Admin Stuff 1
djbaxter Test your Contact Form 7 on WordPress sites! Recycle Bin 4