Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Check this one out!

Ranks #1 (A spot, blended) for Tampa Plumbers

Unclaimed, bare

PLUS PO Box, so major violation.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=tampa+plumbers&oq=tampa+plumbers
https://plus.google.com/101078275726560478893/about?hl=en

Interesting to me as well... That plumber has 2 listings. Link to both.

The other listing has their real physical location. (And it's commercial, not home office.)
The other listing has a phone # that matches the phone on the web site.

Why does Google choose the PO box listing with a different phone # to match up with the site in blended??? Is it because the site also lists the PO box for the address??? So is it choosing the match based on the address???

What do you think? Curious minds want to know!

Reaction score
We see a TON of this up in Alberta. Companies are ranked in local simply because of their age, and Google doesn't want to shuffle the results based purely on trust signals within their algo. Whoever can figure out this mystery get's lunch on me :p

Reaction score
We see a TON of this up in Alberta. Companies are ranked in local simply because of their age, and Google doesn't want to shuffle the results based purely on trust signals within their algo. Whoever can figure out this mystery get's lunch on me :p
It was copied over from Places into Map Maker so it was either scraped or submitted. We'll see what happens once my edit is approved. Google Map Maker

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Yep they went bye-bye!

So that little experiment proved 2 things.

1) Andrew knows how to nuke 'em! :D

2) How a dupe can knock you out of blended. Because their web site WAS disconnected in blended and ranked #1 organic, because the dupe ranked in blended. Now that the PO box dupe is gone, the site and listing connected in blended and the 2nd G+ L page is now in the A spot. https://www.google.com/search?q=Tampa+Plumbers&ie=UTF-8

Reaction score
Yep they went bye-bye!

So that little experiment proved 2 things.

1) Andrew knows how to nuke 'em! :D

2) How a dupe can knock you out of blended. Because their web site WAS disconnected in blended and ranked #1 organic, because the dupe ranked in blended. Now that the PO box dupe is gone, the site and listing connected in blended and the 2nd G+ L page is now in the A spot. https://www.google.com/search?q=Tampa+Plumbers&ie=UTF-8
There were 3 listings for the business two in Tampa and one nearby. I only deleted the PO Box listing, mainly to see what would happen and its easy (no thought needed as the business already has a listing).

I think collectively they were all getting juice from each other. It appears that the business gets good organic juice, but I suspect that if a quality reviewer were to look over the site and G+L then things would not be so hot for them. But when your outrunning a bear you only have to be better than the other people running...

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
L Unclaimed Plumber with PO Box Ranks #1 Ranking Puzzles 6
cleverlyengaged Advice on Landmarks/POI/Unclaimed Google Map Locations? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
MKubot Unclaimed Listing Won't Leave Spam on Google 3
FriarTuck00 Merging: One Storefront (Claimed) and One SAB (Unclaimed) Google Duplicates & Merges 3
freerunr Verbiage on Unclaimed GMB pages: "Own this business?" (KP) / "Claim this business" (Maps) vs. "Manage this listing" Google My Business & Google Maps 23
D Does Google Save Data on Unclaimed Listings? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
gorgborg How to search for unclaimed GMB listings? Recycle Bin 3
Tim Colling How to search for unclaimed GMB listings? Google My Business & Google Maps 18
Tim Sweeney Creating A Map Identifying Unclaimed Map Listing In A Defined Geographic Region Consultant's Corner 0
M Unclaimed business at the address of new business Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Pinkape404 Infogroup or Moz - my urls are not showing up - unclaimed listing Local Search 2
RobinOctane Yelp-Unclaimable? Local Search 5
Alex Weiss Unclaimed Google+ page with a company name instead of a person's name, as required. Help & Support for Google Local 4
B Business Claimed in Old Google Places Dash--Shows Up Unclaimed in New Google Places Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Leigh Old business address on unclaimed google+ local page question Help & Support for Google Local 3
H Plumber Near Me - Google trends interesting Local Search 1
H Plumber category changed to "mechanical contractor" Google My Business & Google Maps 8
B Los Angeles Plumber spam all over the map Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Linda Buquet Did Google Lose Attorneys & Plumbers on Google Maps? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
valentinb13 GMB uses residential address—but client wants to use PO Box for other citations... Citations 3
david.victor SAB closing PO Box Service Area Businesses 16
L SERPs showing Knowledge Panel instead of Local box Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Jen Currier Registered Agent Service & PO Box for SAB Companies in CA Service Area Businesses 2
L Local search query showing Knowledge Graph instead of Local Listings box Google My Business & Google Maps 3
F New local feature box on Google DE Local Search 2
T Data Aggregators and PO Boxes Local Search 2
A PO Boxes on Business Documents Citations 1
Stefan Somborac GMB Verification With PO Box? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
JoyHawkins Have You Ever Broken a One-Box? Ranking Puzzles 12
chrish What is the latest with using a PO Box and/or an address @ somewhere like a UPS store? Moving or Name Changes 9
W Checking The Box "I Also Serve Customers At This Business Address" Service Area Businesses 15
Laura Duncan GMB Cover Photo UX Issue - Maps Search Box Overlays Main Photo Content Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Digitaldar Why/How These Boxes? Local Search 3
Digitaldar How to Get Social Media Icons on GMB or Knowledge Box? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Michael Charvet Direct Review Box Link for Service-area Business on Mobile Device. Possible? Local Reviews 7
Digitaldar How to trigger (GMB?) box on right side of Google SERP for non branded search? Local Search 3
Garrett Sussman Google My Business Reviews Add Photo/Video Option To Dialogue Box Local Reviews 12
L PO Boxes Google My Business & Google Maps 5
kbone Redirecting Customers to Google Rating/Review Box... Local Reviews 0
C Business address AND box number? Citations 10
JoyHawkins Tons of Reviews = One Box? Google My Business & Google Maps 14
Colan Nielsen What's With the Crazy One-Box? Local Search 5
mblumenthal Looking For Examples of the Local One Box Local Search 4
A How to be in the local one box? Google My Business & Google Maps 12
C Home Office Address - Low Cost Alternatives to using a PO Box Address Service Area Businesses 6
C Home Office Address - Low Cost Alternatives to using a PO Box Address Service Area Businesses 6
Linda Buquet How to score a Google Maps One-Box? CHEAT! :-( Spam on Google 15
Dustybones Understanding The Google Answer Box & Knowledge Graph Local Search 0
Dustybones Link directly to GMB "Write a review" box not working Local Reviews 8
L Local Ranking Puzzle - Come Play Why Ranks High! These 2 Scored a One-Box Ranking Puzzles 4